2024 Texas Rangers

I doubt if CY will wait long after the end of the World Series this year to start a almost significant roster overhaul. The current infield plus catcher should be the only ones with security. As much as I would like to see Garcia and Josh Smith (especially Smith since he can also play in the outfield) stay, their value in the trade market should be sky-high.
Viper, You've nailed it. As we discussed at the Hornfans tailgate yesterday, we can assume that Sherzer is done, so that money comes off the books. In addition to the infield/catcher, I think Langford and Carter are keepers. The bullpen has performed pretty well, so I'd like to see some signings there.
And we're all assuming that Ray Davis will sign CY to another contract.

Rangers trying to win the series in Cleveland this afternoon. Trailing 3-1, bottom of 7. Offense not producing, wasting a good pitching performance by Bradford. Need to score some runs in top of 8.

Corey hit a solo HR in top of 8th. Now 3-2 Indians, going to bottom of 8th. Garcia, Jung, and Lowe for the Rangers in top of 9th - hope they can come up with a couple runs!

Rangers lose the rubber match in Cleveland and can’t get a second series win in August. They head to Chicago and have three with the worst team in the history of baseball starting Tuesday so a second series win for the month is hopefully in the cards later this week.

Viper is correct that we should see quite an overhaul this offseason. Catcher, maybe first base, and likely 2 of the 3 outfield positions may see changes and with a bunch of expiring contracts in the starting rotation and bullpen the Rangers will have a a lot of new faces next year. But 3/4 of the infield is set with Jung, Seager, and Semien and Langford in the outfield is set as likely is a hopefully healthy Evan Carter. Adolis can’t keep being the second coming of Joey Gallo and I think Viper is right that he is potential trade bait. Heim’s bat is a liability and that makes him moveable too as much as we all might like his glove and how decent a guy he seems to be. Josh Smith might get a look at first or the outfield or DH for 100 or so games and the other 55 games a year playing any of 3 positions to give players a rest. Or he may also be trade bait.

Right now the rotation next year looks to be DeGrom, Mahle, Bradford, Gray, and someone. Maybe that someone is Eovaldi maybe it is Heaney or Dunning or maybe a player to be named later. The bullpen will look very different too. And of course injuries play such a huge role and Texas has been hit hard this year and didn’t have the career offensive years by several players like they did last year to overcome those injuries.

Leiter gets a start Wednesday against the White Sox and probably a few more after that in September as I just don’t see Scherzer throwing again in a Ranger uniform. This is his chance to make an early push to have a role in 2025.

Bochy won every other year in SF and the big hope for the last 31 games this season is that Texas is setting up for a 2025 run. The first and most crucial signing though is CY and that needs to get done now and not spill into the offseason where other teams will be sniffing around about him.

Adolis can’t keep being the second coming of Joey Gallo
Thanks FW. I had almost forgotten Gallo and there you go reminding me.

The first and most crucial signing though is CY and that needs to get done now and not spill into the offseason where other teams will be sniffing around about him.
Yes, not only sniffing but throwing so much silly money at him that he cannot turn them down. Davis is playing with fire on this one.

Rangers in a weather delay in Chicago so maybe they play tonight maybe they don’t

DeGrom threw two scoreless innings tonight for Round Rock in his second of four planned rehab starts. 24 pitches and 2 k’s per the online tracker. He is on track to get maybe 3-4 starts for the Rangers in the last three weeks of the season if there are no set backs in these last two rehab appearances.

Leiter gets the start tomorrow for Texas and it’s another chance for him to see if his dominance at Triple A can translate up and the good news is the White Sox are basically a Triple A team anyway. Coming back from his surgery, Rocker had five starts at Frisco and an era of sub 0.50 and he is now in Round Rock to finish the year. I would really like to see those two (Leiter and Rocker) get to a point where they can be significant contributors next season.

This last month is all about next year so that is where the focus needs to be.

WOOOHOOO!

Rangers take a double hitter on Wed.

Game 2: Langford 3 run homer.

2nd game:

WOW!!!

OMG!!@$%#&!

STUNNING SEASON HIGHTLIGHT:

Travis Jankowski over the wall catch B9th with 2 outs to help preserve a 4-3 win!!!

You gotta see the replay if you didn't see it live!

Last edited:
Wow, just saw Jankowski's catch for that second out in the bottom of the ninth to prevent the walk-off loss. Defensive gem of the year,

Rangers win two today and in the night cap Leiter went four innings giving up 2 runs only one of which was earned and both happening before he got his first out. He settled down to finish four full and you have to think he will get a couple more starts in September.

Meanwhile, down in Round Rock tonight Kumar Rocker got his first Triple A start and went 5 scoreless innings, he had no walks and surrendered just one hit with 10 K's. He should get a few more Triple A starts to finish the season and both he and Leiter should figure into spring training plans to see if one or both can be big club contributors next season.

Viper, You've nailed it. As we discussed at the Hornfans tailgate yesterday, we can assume that Sherzer is done, so that money comes off the books. In addition to the infield/catcher, I think Langford and Carter are keepers. The bullpen has performed pretty well, so I'd like to see some signings there.
And we're all assuming that Ray Davis will sign CY to another contract.
I’m curious about Sherzer. Aren’t the Mets still paying about 80% of his salary? I think Verlander has the same situation with the Astros. The Mets dumped both of them mid season last year but were paying about $35M on their $43M contracts. Or did that only apply to last year?

I’m curious because letting Sherzer go does free up some money for the Rangers but maybe only a few million in reality which would not be near enough to attract high level talent to replace him.

Not a bad outing by Leiter. A rough start, but he settled down. I like him for the Rangers next season. And if Rocker keeps mowing them down at AAA, he may be a fixture next year. Things are already looking up for 2025.

I’m curious because letting Sherzer go does free up some money for the Rangers but maybe only a few million in reality which would not be near enough to attract high level talent to replace him.

A significant part of Scherzer's contract this year is being paid by the Mets which in addition to getting the extra year this year is what made him so attractive at last years trade deadline. I think he is probably done career wise but even if he is not, the Rangers wont be in play for him as a free agent. Yes not pursuing him does free up the modest money that was being paid to him this year by Texas but in the grand scheme its not much and that freed up money just goes into the pot to try and keep Eovaldi and Yates.

Rangers win 2-1 this afternoon to get the sweep in Chicago. Once again everyone is a nail biter but that’s 7 for 7 against the White Sox and for comparison Houston dropped two the White Sox so sweeping the season series is nice. Of course against the rest of MLB the Rangers are 15 games under .500. 28 games left to shake out some things to set up 2025 starting with a Labor Day weekend series at home with the A’s. Get to 77-80 wins on the year and I will have some optimism for the off season.

Get to 77-80 wins on the year and I will have some optimism for the off season.
I would love to see the Rangers end the season at a nice even .500 - 81-81. They're now 63-71. To hit the .500 mark, they need to go 18-10 over the last 28 games - a very tall order. BUT - they have a nice homestand coming up - 3 against the A's, 3 against the Yankees, and 4 against the Angels. 7-3 on the homestand would work - 8-2 would be even better. The A's and the Yankees are both 5-5 over their last ten games, while the faltering Angels are 2-8. Seems like 7-3 is possible.

Rangers walked it off last night to cap an afternoon of Longhorn football and an evening of Ranger baseball. The rubber match with Oakland is this afternoon as Texas looks to win a second straight series and start a September that we all hope will see youngsters get some real playing time and veterans find some stability to set up for next season.

Really need a W this afternoon to wrap up a series win against the A's. And I'm interested to see the September roster call-ups - find out who can show real potential to make the club next season.

Kennedi Landry has a deGrom update:

"deGrom made his third rehab start on Sunday with Triple-A Round Rock, tossing 2 2/3 scoreless innings with five strikeouts. Then, the plan is for him to head to Double-A Frisco on Saturday, Sept. 7. If all goes well, deGrom could conceivably rejoin the Rangers' rotation during the West Coast road trip between Arizona and Seattle afterward."

Good news on DeGrom. Meanwhile...Rangers and A's 2-2, top of 9th. 1 out, runners 1st and 3rd. A DP would be very nice.

Driving my daughter to volleyball practice I got to listen to the tenth inning and run the full gambit of emotions as the Rangers give up two two-out runs in the top of the inning and then quickly have two outs in the bottom of the tenth to leave me despondent about the blown lead and another likely series loss. But then a single by Adolis, a hard-earned walk by Wyatt followed by the walk-off home run by Josh all come back to back to back, and dang it if the Rangers didn't just win a freaking series against somebody other than the White Sox!

Yankees are in town for three starting tomorrow with Leiter getting his fifth start as a Ranger.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back