2024 Texas Rangers

And my response to Jerah would be the following: "The Cowboys won those in the early 90s because you had a head coach who would stand up to you and make the football decisions. You couldn't stand sharing the spotlight with Jimmy, so you fired him - and we haven't been to the Super Bowl since. But you got your wish - you are the face of the Cowboys and don't have to share the credit for success - mainly because there has been no more success."

HHD,

I'd give you 2 winners for that post if I could.

Any of you, if you want to really know what happened to the Cowboys and the Jimmy - Jerrah feud, you need to read Johnson's book: SWAGGER. Fascinating insight.

I got it a year ago and read it in 2 days.

Some Jimmy ego crept in of course but he could back it up with results.

Bottom line, Jerry's HUGE EGO could not stand the success and adulation of Jimmy and his Cowboys on the field.

Jimmy had to go....

Rangers drop the rubber match in the Bronx 8-7 and now head to Boston as we will get to see Mahle's second start. DeGrom threw to live batters Friday and is going to be in line for some rehab starts later this month and maybe just maybe actual pitches for the Rangers in September, A starting rotation next year of DeGrom, Eovaldi, Bradford, Mahle, and Heaney is playoff contender worthy

The Rangers need to make whatever changes are needed to develop some of their own pitchers in the minors - can't keep throwing big money at old Free Agents. Hope Lieter and Rocker develop into Major League-ready talent.

HHD, I am beginning to believe that the Ranger's ability to develop pitchers is still suffering from the David Clyde curse. Thank you, Billy Martin and Bob Short.

Rangers drop opener at Fenway and are now 4-12 since their sweep of the lowly White Sox. For those bothering to look at the standings, Texas now stands nine games under .500 and 8 and 1/2 back in the AL West.

Mahle went 4 and 2/3 and was solid in his second start. Seager hit his 26th home run of the season and while the team is in the dumps he has been on an absolute tear the last month plus.

Who’s in first? That’s right.

If I were a petty man I would say just keep banging that trash can lid (yes that will forever be the comeback to any Houston Astro fan). But, I am still in the afterglow of "World Series Champions Texas Rangers" and will be for at least another year or so and as a result I will leave the pettiness aside and concede that in a crappy year for the whole AL West Houston appears to be the cream of the crap.

In all seriousness, the Astros have really looked good the last month and if I were Baltimore or the Yankees I would not be happy about the fact that Houston (and Cleveland for that matter) will get an easier path to the ALCS as a third (and second) seeds than one of them will as the one seed. Very likely both Baltimore and the Yankees will end up with better records than Houston and Cleveland but get matched up in the ALDS instead of being on opposite sides of the bracket because the 1 seed plays the lowest remaining seed not necessarily the team with the lowest record left in the ALDS. Houston could have a relatively easy path of KC or Boston in the wild card and then Cleveland in the ALDS while the second place team in the AL East will have to go through Minnesota in a real crapshoot best of 3 and then the winner of the AL East in a crapshoot best of five game series.

FWHORN, I grudgingly agree - it's time to consider this season a lost cause. It will take a pretty nice finish to get to .500 for the season. BUT - the "World Series Championship" banner still flies at the ballpark!
Hope CY is evaluating talent to see what he needs to do in the off-season in order to prepare for 2025. It would be very nice (and a break from history) to see the Rangers develop some pitching in the minors. Continuing to buy on the Free Agent market is expensive - and you tend to get older pitchers who won't have many productive years left.

Rangers win 9-7 tonight in ten to finish the road trip 2-4. Homestand starts with four against the Twins and I will actually be at Globe Life tomorrow and Friday so if any fellow zealots will be out there too let me know .

Very nice comeback win in Boston last night. Especially nice for Langford to hit the three-run homer after blowing a throw from LF. Hope that means the offense is waking up (finally!). Guess we'll see how it goes in the homestand.

Last edited:
I made it out to Globe last night to collect my World Series ring. The replicas they have been giving out (last night was the Eovaldi replica) are quite nice and will make a cool office desk knick-knack. Sadly, my regular-season losing streak continues as I ran my stellar record at Globe Life Field to 1-7 since it opened (ahh but the one win.....). Yates melted down in the ninth giving up the game-losing run in a 3-2 loss. The Rangers got 2 runs in the first and nothing after that and although Bradford was solid for six innings, he and the rest of the Ranger pitchers played with fire all night and it finally burned them at the end.

Two nights at the Globe, got a free World Series ring the first night and got a free World Series hoodie the second, two pretty cool giveaways. I also got to see two frustrating one run losses that encapsulate the Rangers this year in a nutshell. Missed potential. I have thought really since June that Texas was a 75-80 win team but as poor as they have been of late the Rangers may be lucky to get to 70 wins. Bochy is an every other year kind of dude and that means next year so the Rangers just need to ride out these last games of 2024 and use them to set up for 2025.

Congrats FW Horn!

Sounds like you got some great swag from the last couple of games. Especially the ring! However, dude, you gotta find a way to break that losing mojo you bring to the games you attend!

In the meantime, I've been watching Rangers games, but I'm just so bewildered and down due to the recent loses, I just don't care to post plus nobody wants to hear me b***h and moan!

Congrats FW Horn!

Sounds like you got some great swag from the last couple of games. Especially the ring! However, dude, you gotta find a way to break that losing mojo you bring to the games you attend!

In the meantime, I've been watching Rangers games, but I'm just so bewildered and down due to the recent loses, I just don't care to post plus nobody wants to hear me b***h and moan!
It certainly appears the baseball gods are still calculating the cost I must pay for that World Series Game One experience of last year (not to mention winning the whole dang World Series itself). Rangers are 0-5 this year in the regular season with me in attendance, 0-8 with me in attendance at regular season games overall at the new stadium since it opened. I have tickets to one more game this year so we will see if I have paid finally the tab for being in attendance at that World Series game one win and that whole winning the World Series experience.

Rangers are 0-5 this year in the regular season with me in attendance, 0-8 with me in attendance at regular season games overall at the new stadium since it opened.
Maybe you should contact CY and see what he would pay you not to come to another game. :)

Maybe you should contact CY and see what he would pay you not to come to another game. :)

If you have seen the TV series, Only Murders in the Building, you will get the reference as I am thinking of starting a podcast called “Only World Series wins in the building” because it certainly appears that the only games the Rangers will win at the new Globe Life with me in attendance are World Series games.

On the subject of CY I have had a very low concern level about him being re-signed but it is starting to be very noticeable that we are almost to September and we are hearing no movement at all on him and his contract expires at the end of the season. This is shaping up to be a huge off season and that CY piece needs to get done now so the focus is Eovaldi, Yates and a couple more pieces for a run next year not even more of a step back with a new GM and probably a new manager as no way Bochy stays if CY isn’t here.

^Hard to think that CY wouldn't get a new contract. He's been here two years - and has seen a World Series banner fly in the ballpark. He gets a contract extension.
There are some personnel actions he needs to make pretty quickly.

Rangers actually had a mini win streak of two whole games going until their usual offensive woes reappeared last night in a 4-0 loss. Big week in Frisco with Rocker, DeGrom, and Scherzer all on slate to get some work the next three nights.

Another offensive crap show this afternoon in the rubber match but the pitching as it has been for most of the year was solid and Rangers get a walk off 1-0 win on Wyatt Langford's second walk off hit of the year. After he left the game throwing 5 scoreless but getting a no decision, the announcers noted that Andrew Heaney has had six starts where he got zero run support (today being the sixth), he has six more with just one run and six more beyond that with just 2 runs. That is 18 starts with 2 or less runs in support. He is 4-13 but that is a truly hard luck 4-13 and his record is not indicative of his year. Rangers end a seven series losing streak to finally win a series in August and now head on the road for the next 6.

Another offensive crap show this afternoon in the rubber match but the pitching as it has been for most of the year was solid and Rangers get a walk off 1-0 win on Wyatt Langford's second walk off hit of the year. After he left the game throwing 5 scoreless but getting a no decision, the announcers noted that Andrew Heaney has had six starts where he got zero run support (today being the sixth), he has six more with just one run and six more beyond that with just 2 runs. That is 18 starts with 2 or less runs in support. He is 4-13 but that is a truly hard luck 4-13 and his record is not indicative of his year. Rangers end a seven series losing streak to finally win a series in August and now head on the road for the next 6.
Reminds me of one year Nolan Ryan had with the Astros back in the 80’s. His record was like 8-15 or 6-14 or something along those lines. Meanwhile he was one of the league leaders in strikeouts and ERA. He just couldn’t get any run support that year.

DeGrom is throwing actual competitive pitches in 2024.

including one at 100 mph - I hope that wasn't in the plan for a first Rehab start in over 12 months.

Scherzer scratched for tonight in Frisco and the domino effect means it looks like we will see Leiter next week for the Rangers,

I doubt if CY will wait long after the end of the World Series this year to start a almost significant roster overhaul. The current infield plus catcher should be the only ones with security. As much as I would like to see Garcia and Josh Smith (especially Smith since he can also play in the outfield) stay, their value in the trade market should be sky-high.

Something has to be done.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back