2024 Texas Rangers

Rangers leading 5-4 this afternoon, batting in the bottom of the 7th. Wouldn't hurt to pad the lead a bit. A W today would complete a 7-3 homestand, and bring the season record to 70-74. With 18 games remaining after today, the Rangers would need to go 11-7 to get the record to .500. That's a challenge but it's within reason. A .500 record for the season would be nice, given the problems with injuries along the way.

Yates gives up a walk, but nothing else. Rangers win 7-4. Well, I asked for a 7-3 homestand and the Rangers delivered. A ,500 season is now attainable - difficult, but attainable. Rangers heading to Phoenix, then Seattle this week.

Rangers win the Sunday finale against the Angels and the normally hard luck Andrew Heaney finally gets a win after pitching six innings to run his record to five and 13. The Rangers are now four games under .500 and are playing exactly .500 ball since the All-Star break. 18 games left and several reports today that deGrom will be getting a start in Seattle next weekend and likely two more starts after that. 11-7 in these last 18 to finish the year 81-81 would sure be nice.

News today the Kumar Rocker will start the Thursday game in Seattle. He has ten starts at Complex, AA, and AAA this year and it had seemed he would finish at AAA but the Rangers have decided to give him a start.

With Rocker set for Thursday, right now the MLB site has Rangers as undecided on starters for Friday and Saturday with Eovaldi set for Sunday (on a normal 4 day rest after his start tonight in Arizona). You have to think they are looking at Leiter and deGrom for this coming Friday and Saturday and just haven't locked in which one goes when. There are 18 games left so in theory up to 3 starts for deGrom and Rocker. This leaves Heaney as the odd man out with Eovaldi, Bradford, and Leiter set and Rocker and deGrom getting these end of the year outings. I had honestly expected it was going to be deGrom Thursday and was surprised by the Rocker decision. Was that CY, Bochy, or a directive from ownership to get a quick look at what Rocker has now instead of waiting for the spring as part of a decision process this winter on how many starters need to be signed. I worry this Rocker move shows that Texas may not be willing to pay to keep Eovaldi.

In the rematch of pitchers from game five of the World Series, this time it's Zac Gallen who outduels Eovaldi, and Arizona wins 6-0. The Rangers drop the opener of this road trip and have one more in Phoenix this afternoon with Cody Bradford on the mound.

ESPN's baseball site now shows deGrom scheduled to start Friday in Seattle and Scherzer on Saturday. The Sunday starter had been listed as Eovaldi but it now shows undecided and none of the pitchers for the Toronto series are set. That could mean Leiter on Sunday but given that there could be two short starts in a row they may be expecting Leiter to go long relief Friday or Saturday and if he doesn't then he can start Sunday or if Leiter does have to be used then Eovaldi would go back to starting Sunday.

Next week may well see home starts for deGrom, Bradford, Rocker, and Leiter as we get a potential preview of the first four spots in the starting rotation for next year, with Eovaldi re-signing the open question.

No playoff watch this year for the Rangers but the rest of the league is in some close races. Time to become KC or Minnesota or Baltimore fans as the anyone but the Astros or Yankees mantra takes hold.

No playoff watch this year for the Rangers but the rest of the league is in some close races. Time to become KC or Minnesota or Baltimore fans as the anyone but the Astros or Yankees mantra takes hold.
This might be a National League year.

Bradford has by far his worst outing of the year as the Rangers get drubbed in the finale in Phoenix, on to Seattle where we get the 2025 preview with Rocker tonight. Six games under .500 meaning Texas needs to go 11-5 to finish level, a tall order with their putrid road record and 10 of those 16 on the road.

Something else for just baseball fans in general to watch is Shohei Ohtani, he is 3 home runs and 2 stolen bases away from a never been done before 50/50 season. That is just incredible and personally, I would love to see it. There have only been six 40/40 players in history including Ohtani this year so this is truly historic.

This might be a National League year.
Viper, depends on the National League team. I cannot stand the Phillies mostly because of their fans. Watching a Yankees or Astros v Phillies World Series is like watching Aggy/OU it's hard to really know who you want to lose more.

Bradford has by far his worst outing of the year as the Rangers get drubbed in the finale in Phoenix, on to Seattle where we get the 2025 preview with Rocker tonight. Six games under .500 meaning Texas needs to go 11-5 to finish level, a tall order with their putrid road record and 10 of those 16 on the road.

Something else for just baseball fans in general to watch is Shohei Ohtani, he is 3 home runs and 2 stolen bases away from a never been done before 50/50 season. That is just incredible and personally, I would love to see it. There have only been six 40/40 players in history including Ohtani this year so this is truly historic.

Viper, depends on the National League team. I cannot stand the Phillies mostly because of their fans. Watching a Yankees or Astros v Phillies World Series is like watching Aggy/OU it's hard to really know who you want to lose more.
It should be the Dodgers, but over the years they have stumbled in the playoffs.

Just got an email from the Rangers about tickets for sale for next Thursday and Friday noting that Rocker will start the Thursday afternoon home game with the Blue Jays and deGrom the Friday evening home game against the Mariners. The email doesn't mention Scherzer but the ESPN site has Scherzer going next Saturday at home against Seattle, so one week rest between starts for all three and sets them all up for a third start on the road for final road series. Heaney is obviously odd man out but interestingly so is Leiter if the Rangers stick with their top two of Eovaldi and Bradford as starters though Leiter may well see action as a long reliever. Preview of the hopeful 2025 starting rotation these last 16 games.

Through three innings Rocker hasn’t given up a run. He has 5 k’s but has been living dangerously having given up two hits and two walks. He had runners on second and third with no outs in the first but he got k’s and a fly out to end that threat. Rangers lead 1-0 on Josh Jung solo shot in the second.

Rocker gives up a solo home run in the fourth but that is only damage as he K’s two more. Probably done for night with 74 pitches, 1 earned run, 7 K’s, 3 hits and 2 walks. Very nice first ever big league start.

Garabito on to pitch the fifth so Rocker’s night is done and so is mine. Actually got to watch on the ESPN app which had the Spanish language broadcast not blacked out. Hopefully tomorrow with deGrom will be same way. Rocker definitely making a case to be looked at for rotation next year and has two more starts this season to keep making that case.

No word on CY?

None, none at all, and yesterday the DMN had an article about the lack of an extension, it's behind a paywall so I have not attached link but suffice it to say this is getting to be a big deal.

Meanwhile, the Rangers came back last night to win 5-4 but the news of the night was Rocker's MLB debut and an impressive four innings of work. Seven K's and some nasty stuff from him that cannot help but put him squarely on the radar for the roster next year in a starter or long reliever role.

I picked up tickets to the home finale on the 22nd so if any of you will be there PM me.

My long-standing gripe with the Rangers has been the inability to develop pitchers in the minor leagues. The recent bandaid approach has been Free Agents - an expensive route. Maybe - just maybe - the organization is starting to fix the development problems. So far, so good with Rocker and Leiter.
And for cryin' out loud - SIGN CY TO A NEW CONTRACT!!!!!

None, none at all, and yesterday the DMN had an article about the lack of an extension, it's behind a paywall so I have not attached link but suffice it to say this is getting to be a big deal.

Meanwhile, the Rangers came back last night to win 5-4 but the news of the night was Rocker's MLB debut and an impressive four innings of work. Seven K's and some nasty stuff from him that cannot help but put him squarely on the radar for the roster next year in a starter or long reliever role.

I picked up tickets to the home finale on the 22nd so if any of you will be there PM me.
The reasonable thing to do in 2025 is Rocker as a starter and Leiter as 5th starter/long relief. [I am not sold on the Rangers being all in on Leiter as a starter yet (just the vibes I am getting).]

Segar undergoing surgery today, but should be fine by Spring. Others will be getting time at SS as Smith's 500+ AB's have burned him out.

Then there is the CY thing.

DeGrom on the bump tonight in Seattle. Rangers batting top of 1st - two on, one out. Garcia flies out, Semien to 3rd. Lowe single drives in a run. Jung single brings in another run. Heim grounds out to 1st. Rangers up 2-0, going to bottom of 1st. Let's see what DeGrom can do!

Quick work. DeGrom through two innings on 22 pitches. Fastball consistently 96-99. So far, so good. Would be nice if he can go 5 innings tonight.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back