2024 Texas Rangers

A couple of hits in bottom of 4th, no runs yet. But with the pitch count over 60, Bochy says "Enough for the first outing." Pennington on to pitch. Routine 4-3 pitot to end the threat. On to top of 5th. Rangers 2-0.

Yeah, I'm still plugged in and watching... just not posting.

Very sad Cory done for the season. Jung has brought back energy and run production to this team.

Excited about return of DeGrom and Rocker!!

Very pleased DeGrom basically got thru 4 vs Seattle with 0 runs.

Langford smash makes it 3-0 T5th!

I was at Grapefest last night and by the time I got home deGrom was already done so I went to bed and woke up this morning to see the Ranger bullpen imploded in the 8th as Robertson had a very uncharacteristic meltdown and the Rangers lost 5-4.

61 pitches 3 and 2/3 scoreless for deGrom is incredibly encouraging and these past two nights plus the new contract for CY have just filled my Ranger optimism cup to the brim for 2025.

I'm even glad they shut down Seager and he had surgery so he will be fully healthy for spring training. Get Evan Carter healthy this offseason and sign Eovaldi and Yates and Texas will be a playoff-caliber ball club next year with a solid rotation and lineup.

How much money will be coming off the payroll in the off-season? That could determine a potential offer to Eovaldi. I'd really like to see the Rangers keep him. Leiter is still in the developmental stage - another year or so?

Rangers drop three straight in Seattle and fall back to 8 games under .500. Scherzer and Leiter split a game on Saturday with both going 4 innings but then LeClerc lost in the ninth. For some reason, Heaney got the start yesterday and got his usual 0-run support and another loss. Rangers have the final six at home starting tomorrow with Eovaldi, Bradford, and Rocker slated to pitch against Toronto and then deGrom and Scherzer for the Mariners. Next Sunday's pitcher is TBD but based on this past week it is likely Heaney as they will pair Leiter with Scherzer or deGrom who can only go four innings or so as they slowly get back into pitching shape. Bochy said he was going with a six-man rotation to end the year, so likely the same rotation for the final six-game road trip after this homestand.

Y'all have your playoff tickets, right?

I'm sure there are a few available for the first few games in Houston...

/ducks and departs

I was at Grapefest last night and by the time I got home deGrom was already done so I went to bed and woke up this morning to see the Ranger bullpen imploded in the 8th as Robertson had a very uncharacteristic meltdown and the Rangers lost 5-4.

61 pitches 3 and 2/3 scoreless for deGrom is incredibly encouraging and these past two nights plus the new contract for CY have just filled my Ranger optimism cup to the brim for 2025.

I'm even glad they shut down Seager and he had surgery so he will be fully healthy for spring training. Get Evan Carter healthy this offseason and sign Eovaldi and Yates and Texas will be a playoff-caliber ball club next year with a solid rotation and lineup.
Astros fan here. I appreciate your optimism regarding the Rangers next year and your hope for DeGrom. Unfortunately, like Verlander injuries for both of them have become annual events. For the Astros, losing JV for most of the year is a blessing in disguise as 1) he won't vest for the 2025 season and 2) he is way over the hill now and may not even make the Astros playoff roster (assuming they hold on).

DeGrom was a super talent, but his innings pitched per dollars "earned" under his contract is horrible.....kind of like Mike Trout......or JV since 2020. Long term contracts in baseball are ridiculous, but most of the owners are still making a killing so if they can afford it they keep hoping to strike gold.

DeGrom was a super talent, but his innings pitched per dollars "earned" under his contract is horrible.....kind of like Mike Trout......or JV since 2020. Long term contracts in baseball are ridiculous, but most of the owners are still making a killing so if they can afford it they keep hoping to strike gold.
There is no question that Free Agent pitchers are very costly. I hope CY is positioning the Rangers organization to develop pitchers in the minors - always been a weakness for the club. But that's the key to long-term competitive teams - develop your own talent in the minors so you can feed them into the big club at the right time. They can be controlled at a reasonable price until they're eligible for Free Agency.

There is no question that Free Agent pitchers are very costly. I hope CY is positioning the Rangers organization to develop pitchers in the minors - always been a weakness for the club. But that's the key to long-term competitive teams - develop your own talent in the minors so you can feed them into the big club at the right time. They can be controlled at a reasonable price until they're eligible for Free Agency.
Agree 100%. While the Astros minor league system has been ranked near the bottom for the last five years, they somehow continue to find and develop good pitchers. The injuries in their starting rotation has been crazy (I would argue second only to the Dodgers), yet once again they found a few nuggets and the team is limping into first place thanks largely to the epic collapse of the Mariners. They lost four starters this year and that doesn't count McCullers who likely will end up collecting $17.5 million per year for a total of four years without throwing a pitch. And he wonders why Astros fans are a bit upset that he has the nerve to participate in HEB commercials.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back