2024 Softball Season

I was looking back to see if this is a good start, average start, or expected start of the season. At 13 games into the season:

2019: 12-1
2020: 13-0
2021: 11-2
2022: 6-7 (OMG what happened in Florida? We're dead. Season is OVER)
2023: 10-2-1
2024: 12-1

So in Mike White's world, average start.

I think the vibe is different than the previous years in two ways:

1) We have 4 good pitchers where any of them you would be comfortable pitching against an opponents top pitcher. They might only good for 5 innings, but 4 good ones.

2) We have hitters galore. If 1 or 2 of your previously hot hitting players is in a slump, there are 3 good hitters sitting on the bench waiting to hit for them until they figure it out.

When LHN said that Reese had 9 HRs so far and that the record for a single player in Texas history was 18? What? (that low?) and What? (already?).
Racer will you be in Houston for the series against Coogs?

Racer will you be in Houston for the series against Coogs?
Actually, I will be there for the Saturday game. My son is attending his freshman year at Cougar High and we'll go there Saturday to watch the noon game, pick him up afterwards and come home to Austin.

I can call it Cougar High because my Dad was a professor there for 40 years and I lived across the street (near his current dorms) when I was very small.

Going back to the Stanford game. The player, I called a cheat, is standing with her foot on the inside line of the scratched out box and she takes a HBP. Mike protests, she's called for leaning into the pitch and......the ump calls it a ball.

Wait, when you lean into the pitch, it's a strike, especially when you're outside the box. And then, because she didn't get called for a strike, she eventually makes it on base.

I asked one of our seatmates, who is an active softball ump for high school, "Wait. That's a strike right? I mean, if you don't call it a strike every hitter who as 3 balls is certainly going to lean into a pitch to get that 4th ball, right?"

He nodded his head in agreement and said, "He's saying that he's always right no one has the right to tell him otherwise"

And then he proceeded to tell me how he and a couple of his ump colleagues have broken off from the main ump organization to form their own. He said that they were tired of umps cover for each other and their organization refusing to fix that.

Going back to the Stanford game. The player, I called a cheat, is standing with her foot on the inside line of the scratched out box and she takes a HBP. Mike protests, she's called for leaning into the pitch and......the ump calls it a ball.

Wait, when you lean into the pitch, it's a strike, especially when you're outside the box. And then, because she didn't get called for a strike, she eventually makes it on base.

I asked one of our seatmates, who is an active softball ump for high school, "Wait. That's a strike right? I mean, if you don't call it a strike every hitter who as 3 balls is certainly going to lean into a pitch to get that 4th ball, right?"

He nodded his head in agreement and said, "He's saying that he's always right no one has the right to tell him otherwise"

And then he proceeded to tell me how he and a couple of his ump colleagues have broken off from the main ump organization to form their own. He said that they were tired of umps cover for each other and their organization refusing to fix that.
And when she swung, her hands were directly over the middle of the plate. She was absolutely trying to get hit. The elbow pad makes it feel like a tennis ball hitting you. She was absolutely trying to get hit. It's BS and if an ump allows it they flat out suck. Although it may be it's only allowed when playing Texas.

When Mike went to the mound to say he was going to pull Mac, I think Mac argued that she was fine and saying she had it and to let her pitch the second inning. Turns out she was correct.
Thats not her position to say !!!!! right about what she gave up 4 runs

We survived against Texas State 1-0. Wow what a game! I was worried as Texas State is always a good team. #1, they beat us last year. #2, Jessica Mullins is a phenomenal pitcher who keeps getting better and better. And #3, we are the #2 team in the nation so teams are going to be playing the game of their lives against us. We were able to get hits from Scott, Stewart, Mitchell, Goode, and Henry. Dayton has an amazing eye at the plate. And a phenomenal performance from freshman Teagan Kavan. 9 strikeouts and only giving up 2 hits against a talented Texas State team. With us playing not so competitive teams this weekend against Northwestern State, Hofstra, Tarleton State, and Penn State ,I really hope White gives Sophia Simpson and Estelle Czech some starts and innings. We need as many pitchers getting reps, mound time, and confidence as possible.

We survived against Texas State 1-0. Wow what a game! I was worried as Texas State is always a good team. #1, they beat us last year. #2, Jessica Mullins is a phenomenal pitcher who keeps getting better and better. And #3, we are the #2 team in the nation so teams are going to be playing the game of their lives against us. We were able to get hits from Scott, Stewart, Mitchell, Goode, and Henry. Dayton has an amazing eye at the plate. And a phenomenal performance from freshman Teagan Kavan. 9 strikeouts and only giving up 2 hits against a talented Texas State team. With us playing not so competitive teams this weekend against Northwestern State, Hofstra, Tarleton State, and Penn State ,I really hope White gives Sophia Simpson and Estelle Czech some starts and innings. We need as many pitchers getting reps, mound time, and confidence as possible.
I have to say that the Tx State fans are starting to become, for me, one of the more annoying fan bases we play consistently. It used to be Louisiana fans, but with at least one trip to McCombs each year, their (fans) level of poor sportsmanship has gone up.

1. Mocking our players on a personal level
2. Very loud whistles, sometimes, as our pitcher is in her windup
3. Loudly contesting most calls going against them

Is Mike White sacrificing lack of defensive play at first base for offense? I’ve been wondering why Katie Cimusz hasn’t seen much action at first this season.

Coach must’ve read my post seeing his Cimusz took over 1st base in the latter innings of game 1 and is starting game 2 today.

I've been thinking that this year's Texas team is behaving like a standard OU team. Everyone can hit and the pitchers keep the ERAs low. And this year's OU team is missing Bahl, badly.

Okay am I the only one that’s been impressed with Sophia Simpson? She has looked better than Mac Morgan to me so far. Despite the least innings pitched out of the whole staff, she is 2nd in strikeouts and 1st in opponent batting average. I love how she’s adding a riseball in her arsenal. Here’s how our pitching staff looks so far.

Kavan: 7-0, 1.18 ERA, 35.2 IP, 39 SO, .128 OPP BA, 10 BB/HBP

Gutierrez: 3-0, 0.59 ERA, 23.2 IP, 11 SO, .181 OPP BA, 3 BB/HBP

Morgan: 4-0, 1.03 ERA, 20.1 IP, 10 SO, .188 OPP BA, 3 BB/HBP

Czech: 2-1, 0.00 ERA, 12.1 IP, 9 SO, .159 OPP BA, 1 BB/HBP

Simpson: 0-0, 0.00 ERA, 11 IP, 18 SO, .098 OPP BA, 6 BB/HBP

Okay am I the only one that’s been impressed with Sophia Simpson? She has looked better than Mac Morgan to me so far. Despite the least innings pitched out of the whole staff, she is 2nd in strikeouts and 1st in opponent batting average. I love how she’s adding a riseball in her arsenal. Here’s how our pitching staff looks so far.

Simpson is in when there's is a comfortable lead. So, the numbers can be deceiving. She's got a great changeup. But she keeps trying to throw the rise ball and skips the ball too often as a result.

I've certainly taken notice, but we really don't know what will happen to her control if she pitches 4+ innings. If any of our starters give up some runs against LSU, I'd like to see if she can come in and get them out. Maybe it could be a start with Kavan, Simpson with an inning or 2, finish with Citlaly. I'm not sure any team not named blowu is going to score more than 3 runs against that lineup.

That would make toooooo much sense !!!!! save the arms for the long deep season . White just showing off his new pennys . You should be the coach

Simpson is in when theirs is a comfortable lead. So, the numbers can be deceiving. She's got a great changeup. But she keeps trying to throw the rise ball and skips the ball too often as a result.
Exactly. I want to see her start a game when she doesn’t have a lead to see how she throws. An opportunity against Hofstra, Tarleton State, Northwestern State, and Penn State would have been a perfect opportunity to see what she can do.

I've certainly taken notice, but we really don't know what will happen to her control if she pitches 4+ innings. If any of our starters give up some runs against LSU, I'd like to see if she can come in and get them out. Maybe it could be a start with Kavan, Simpson with an inning or 2, finish with Citlaly. I'm not sure any team not named blowu is going to score more than 3 runs against that lineup.
I mean tbh Mac has only pitched 5 innings at the most in a game. The only two pitchers to go a full 7 innings was Kavan and Gutierrez. And they were both close games. Kavan pitched 7 innings in a 1-0 game against Texas State and Gutierrez in the 2-1 win over Tennessee. I’m assuming he’s seeing who can pitch during pressure moments. I just would like to see Czech and Simpson more. Czech and Simpson have both shown they can come through in big moments and big pressure situations as they both helped lead us to the WCWS and WCWS championship game.

That would make toooooo much sense !!!!! save the arms for the long deep season . White just showing off his new pennys . You should be the coach
It just makes sense. Every Texas home game will be on Longhorn Network. They are getting so much film on us. Out of the 18 games we’ve played, only 1 wasn’t streamed and that was against Texas State. Throw all your pitchers and throw your aces when we need them. Because you never know lack of mound time can be costly when they finally get an opportunity.

Exactly. I want to see her start a game when she doesn’t have a lead to see how she throws. An opportunity against Hofstra, Tarleton State, Northwestern State, and Penn State would have been a perfect opportunity to see what she can do.
Don't think that will be her role this year.

Should't sleep on this Penn St team. I think every team we play will be hoping to catch us on that day we are not hitting/pitching well. Not many teams can match our best softball. Our 5 pitchers will really help when those abbreviation games happen.
Isn't it a great time to be a Texas Longhorn sports fan. :bevo:

Louisiana defeats OU 7-5! Texas should be the new #1. Maxwell and Keeney didnt look good to me. And May didn’t look good on Friday. I think we will be able to take them.

Watched the replay on ESPN+. Louisiana leading 4-2 at the bottom of the 7th. OU of course, scores 2 and tied. In the 8th, Louisiana loads the bases with no outs due to two fielding errors by Brito at SS and one by the pitcher. But the scorers only listed it as one error. Even the OU announcers said there should have been more than one error in that inning. With bases loaded, Louisiana plates 3 runners. Then at the bottom of the 8th, OU hits one HR, one base hit and then 3 outs and game over.

OU announcers were proudly talking about the 71 game streak as the longest in softball history at the beginning of the game and then mentioned it again at the end. Fans just had this stunned look like, "What is going on here?"

At one point, the announcer said, "Well that's a ball Tiarra Jennings would have handled easily". They said there "uncharacteristic hitting and base running" for an OU team.

The best thing about our pitching is that they all give different looks. Mac throws hard and if the ump gives her the river, she can dominate. If they do not, she has to come over the plate so that is where she gets hit. The others have some great stuff. The major question is whether scouting on Kavan will make her less effective. I do not think this will happen, but it is a risk. All pitchers work on new stuff every year to get rid of the scouting advantage.

OU giving up 7 runs to Miami of Ohio and 3 to Liberty? They were ripe to get picked off and that will happen in more games this year. They do not have the pitching and they cannot outhit their mistakes. The Ragin Cajuns are legit and if they have a good pitching outing, they are hard to beat. My daughter's team was invited to open their season several years ago, and watching Patty yell at players who did not hit a home run was worth the price of admission. We were not run ruled and she was not happy. We did beat OSU on that trip so it was a great success.

OU giving up 7 runs to Miami of Ohio and 3 to Liberty? They were ripe to get picked off and that will happen in more games this year. They do not have the pitching and they cannot outhit their mistakes. The Ragin Cajuns are legit and if they have a good pitching outing, they are hard to beat. My daughter's team was invited to open their season several years ago, and watching Patty yell at players who did not hit a home run was worth the price of admission. We were not run ruled and she was not happy. We did beat OSU on that trip so it was a great success.

Wow, Saint Patty? Say it ain't so!

While exciting, we all know that we're what? 1/3 through the season? Just don't go making a t-shirt over it!!

Has Texas ever been ranked #1 in it's softball history?

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back