2024 Softball Season

Does anyone know anyone associated with UH softball? I want to know two things:
1. Why UH didn't install the 30 second pitch clock in their stadium?
2. Why their field specifications don't meet the NCAA recommended minimal distances?

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/rules/softball/Fielddiagram.pdf

It is highly recommended that the playing field be enclosed completely by
sideline fences and a permanent home-run fence in a smooth arc of not more
than 235 feet from home plate. If a 6-foot fence, it is highly recommended
to be a minimum of 190 feet in left and right fields and 220 in center field.
If a 4-foot fence, it is highly recommended to be a minimum of 210 feet in
left and right fields and 230 in center field.
Because it is Cougar High, and the Big XII wanted the basketball team in the Conference. "Recommended" means just that - not a rule.

A lot of Houston are transfers. Their leadoff is from Tennessee, their 2nd batter is from Cal, their 3rd batter is from Arizona State, their 4th batter is from Texas, their 5th is from Oklahoma, their 6th batter is from Seton Hall, their 7th batter is an actual Houston recruit, their 8th batter is from Michigan State, and their 9th batter is from Stephen F Austin.

And all of them can hit!!! I was wondering how they lost 6 games and it’s their pitching.
Paris Lehman is 4-0 with a 3.67 ERA, Shelby Smith is 9-2 with a 4.11 ERA, Tamya Waiters is 3-3 with a 5.31 ERA, Nicole Bodeux is 1-1 with a 2.74 ERA and she’s apparently out for. While with an injury. I also noticed they look like they got two last minute pitchers. Taylor Edwards from LSU who hasn’t played yet this season and Gigi Solis who is a freshman but committed to Southern Miss who looks like a really late and recent roster addition. Once they get their pitching under control, I think they’re gonna be dangerous towards the end of the season.

Me: Mike!!! Mac is losing it! She's too scared to pitch to Cantu! Put in someone else!

Mike: [nothing but a chat with Mac]

UH: Thanks for the runs!

Texas (21-2) (8 ranked/rv wins)
  • BA: .401
  • ERA: 1.22
  • Fielding %: .955 (29 errors)
  • Pitching Ace: Teagan Kavan 10-0, 1.22 ERA, 54 SO, .132 OPP BA
  • Best Hitter: DH/3B/1B Joley Mitchell .490 BA, .569 OBP , 12 XBH

LSU 22-0 (9 ranked/rv wins)
    • BA: .354
    • ERA: 2.03
    • Fielding %: .978 (13 errors)
    • Pitching Ace: Sydney Berzon 8-0, 1.99 ERA, 62 SO, .227 OPP BA
    • Best Hitter: McKenzie Redoutey .393 BA, .516 OBP 9 XBH

Our defense isn’t good. Now that I’m looking back on it, we should’ve beat Stanford 2-1 if it was an errorless game. And we could have beaten Houston Friday night if we didn’t have that awful error filled inning in the 4th or 5th. The way we would be undefeated if it wasn’t so many crucial errors. Beating LSU and giving them their first loss would be huge.

I looked up the stats and I think Kavan is listed as the winner of today's game.
Let's see if I understand the convoluted ways of baseball/softball:

1. Czech starts the game, but gives up the lead. If the game ended there, she would be the loser.
2. Morgan comes in and while she's pitching Texas takes the lead. If the game ended there she would have the win.
3. But, Morgan allows UH to score 3 runs so it's 6-5 when she's pulled. If the game ended there, she would have the loss.
4. And then Kavan comes in and allows one runner put on by Morgan to score, so Kavan would not(?) have been listed as the loser. In fact, she stopped it at 6-6 so she's not a loser or a winner.
5. And then Kavan is pitching when the game is over at 8-6 and she's a winner. But it's not considered a save because when she came in we were still leading?

Every year, I curse the baseball/softball rule makers in their infinite methods to pump up individual players' stats or records.

Very nice series win under some tough circumstances. UH Field is very small and intimate. The entire series was sold out (with a nice mix of burnt orange). This will not be the last time we will be challenged and we must be better moving forward. :bevo:

Texas pitching staff

Kavan: 10-0, 1.22 ERA, 51.2 IP, 54 SO, .132 OPP BA, 16 BB/HBP

Gutierrez: 4-0, 0.46 ERA, 31 IP, 18 SO, .204 OPP BA, 5 BB/HBP

Morgan: 4-0, 1.96 ERA, 25 IP, 10 SO, .210 OPP BA, 6 BB/HBP

Czech: 3-1, 1.42 ERA, 19.2 IP, 11 SO, .192 OPP BA, 5 BB/HBP

Simpson: 0-0, 0.42 ERA, 16.2 IP, 29 SO, .113 OPP BA, 8 BB/HB

It’s clear Kavan is our ace. We just need to figure out our #2. Clearly we can’t have a Game 1, 2, and 3 starter. Kavan will most likely have to start in games 1 and 2. Idk what happened to Mac Morgan. She had a no hitter against a not so good San Diego team. Got rocked against Louisiana, UTA, and Houston. The most she’s thrown this year was 5 innings and that was only twice to San Diego and Colorado State where she gave up 5 hits. Gutierrez just had a bad game against Houston. She looked great against UCLA twice, Tennessee, Stanford. Estelle Czech has been consistent but a few hiccups. I think she needs more mound time to get a rhythm. These 2-3 innings a game for her aren’t working. I’ve been so impressed with Sophia Simpson. She needs more time to shine. Even though she only pitched 2.1 innings, she only gave up 1 hit to that Houston lineup with 3 strikeouts.

BTW....Is Tues a holiday? Why is the LSU game at 11:00 am? :idk:
It may have been a Texas request. Because BYU doesn't play games on Sunday, the next series with them starts on Thursday. So maybe Mike didn't want to play Wed-Sat and asked for a Tuesday game? The scheduling at 11:00? I guess time to get the bus back to Austin in a reasonable time?

It may have been a Texas request. Because BYU doesn't play games on Sunday, the next series with them starts on Thursday. So maybe Mike didn't want to play Wed-Sat and asked for a Tuesday game? The scheduling at 11:00? I guess time to get the bus back to Austin in a reasonable time?
Maybe it will be like the "field trip" game that Texas WBB plays once a year. That's always a great mix of children screaming at everything and the hard core retired older fan. Love this game. :bevo:

The best version of Texas Softball will win this game. Lesser version "could" struggle. I like this team on the road. :bevo:

As expected, I knew Kavan would eventually get rock. She is pitching way too much. And there’s more film on her. Errors and mistakes will continue to cost us. It cost us against Stanford, Houston, and now today. Vivi makes too many errors and she also isn’t hitting. I don’t see why she gets so many chances. Put Washington at shortstop and Goode on second. Goode was finally getting her hitting rhythm back before he gave Martinez another chance….

And please put Sophia in the game!!! You have a pitcher who has the best ERA on the team, and is second in strikeouts on the team with the last pitched innings. Everyone getting mound time over her is annoying

And please put Sophia in the game!!! You have a pitcher who has the best ERA on the team, and is second in strikeouts on the team with the last pitched innings. Everyone getting mound time over her is annoying

I don't think she makes a difference. Her ERA is low because she isn't pitching as much.

I don't think she makes a difference. Her ERA is low because she isn't pitching as much.
You don’t know until you give her a chance. She’s pitching enough to have more strikeouts than Czech, Morgan, and Gutierrez. She’s pitching 16.1 innings and Czech has pitched 19. Simpson has a 0.42 ERA and Czech has a 1.42 ERA with only 3 more innings. As a coach you have to try something. They were all off this weekend except Simpson in the Houston series. Mac was off and needed to be taken out. Estelle needed to be taken out. Citlaly needed to be taking out. He didn’t have to take Sophia out when she got on the mound.

You don’t know until you give her a chance. She’s pitching enough to have more strikeouts than Czech, Morgan, and Gutierrez. She’s pitching 16.1 innings and Czech has pitched 19. Simpson has a 0.42 ERA and Czech has a 1.42 ERA with only 3 more innings. As a coach you have to try something. They were all off this weekend except Simpson in the Houston series. Mac was off and needed to be taken out. Estelle needed to be taken out. Citlaly needed to be taking out. He didn’t have to take Sophia out when she got on the mound.
Correction. Czech now has a 1.83 ERA, Kavan a 1.87, Morgan a 1.81 ERA, Gutierrez a 1.34 ERA, and Simpson 0.42 ERA.

Texas is now 2-3 or maybe it's 3-3 when the other team scores first. I can't believe that the LSU pitcher got better and our hitting got worse the more we saw her. It's usually the other way around. Or, maybe she's that good.

Anyway, LSU was a good team to go against to let the freshmen understand we've been playing some easy teams thus far.

Don't be fooled by statistics. They know what she can and can't do.

As expected, I knew Kavan would eventually get rock. She is pitching way too much. And there’s more film on her. Errors and mistakes will continue to cost us. It cost us against Stanford, Houston, and now today. Vivi makes too many errors and she also isn’t hitting. I don’t see why she gets so many chances. Put Washington at shortstop and Goode on second. Goode was finally getting her hitting rhythm back before he gave Martinez another chance….
The bobble and double clutch on the first ground ball to short by the LSU leadoff batter, followed by a hit batter, pretty much set the tone for the 5 run outburst. It’s a good thing Dayton made a fantastic catch for the first out or it could’ve been worse.
Texas did show grit in making a game of it. They were just one hit shy with runners in scoring position to tie or take the lead.
Goode and Cimusz both need more playing time.
I’ll stay on the couch and solve all their issues :lmao:

All I’m saying is switch it up. Why continue to put the same pitchers in who haven’t been doing good is my point.
My opinion is that each pitcher, that isn't Simpson, has had one horrible game where it was not going to be their day. Of those 4 horrible starts, 2 of them became losses and two of them we recovered with our offense. I don't count the Stanford loss because it was close throughout and the pitching wasn't out of control. Today was Kavan's "welcome to the big leagues" day.

Sorry, but Simpson thrives in a small window of 1-2 innings. And even then, it's a wild ride of skipped balls.

My opinion is that each pitcher, that isn't Simpson, has had one horrible game where it was not going to be their day. Of those 4 horrible starts, 2 of them became losses and two of them we recovered with our offense. I don't count the Stanford loss because it was close throughout and the pitching wasn't out of control. Today was Kavan's "welcome to the big leagues" day.

Sorry, but Simpson thrives in a small window of 1-2 innings. And even then, it's a wild ride of skipped balls.
So if our pitchers are doing bad? You’d rather keep giving them opportunities than Sophia? Kavan has only pitched 7 innings twice. Gutierrez has only pitched 7 innings twice. Mac and Estelle have yet to go the distance this season yet he keeps giving them mound time.

So if our pitchers are doing bad? You’d rather keep giving them opportunities than Sophia? Kavan has only pitched 7 innings twice. Gutierrez has only pitched 7 innings twice. Mac and Estelle have yet to go the distance this season yet he keeps giving them mound time.
Your enthusiasm for Simpson is admirable. But you are twisting what I said in order to pump up Simpson.

What I said was that each pitcher has had one bad day.

If Mike White has seen Simpson for 3 years in games and in practice and still refuses to make her a starter, what does that tell you?

Your enthusiasm for Simpson is admirable. But you are twisting what I said in order to pump up Simpson.

If Mike White has seen Simpson for 3 years in games and in practice and still refuses to make her a starter, what does that tell you?
I’m not necessarily pumping up Simpson. I just don’t get it. White said Simpson was going to be the breakout pitcher this spring. She has looked great every time she came in. However, you’re correct. Each pitcher has had a bad day. Gutierrez had a rough outing against Houston. Kavan had a rough outing today against LSU. Czech has also had a rough outing against Houston Friday and Sunday. Mac had a rough outing against Houston and didn’t look sharp against UTA or Louisiana. All I’m saying is Sophia needs more opportunities and when our pitchers are having bad days, you need to experiment. You can say the same for the defense. At what point does he move Martinez off of short or take her out of the lineup? I can see if she is hitting the ball to the point that we need her on the field but she isn’t. Why isn’t Goode at second and Washington at short?

I see your point, no doubt. I just don't think Simpson is the answer. Buy hey, why not?

That's what I'm thinking.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back