2024 Softball Season

Good point about the portal closing yesterday and we only had one loss. I had thought it possible that Cimusz and Quiroga might look for more playing time elsewhere. But they could be still here for the love of the school. Since we lost a 2nd baseman and an outfielder and we have only 1 new outfielder coming in and 1 player left, it looks like it'll be a 5-player competition for Bella's spot among:

Cimusz
Quiroga
Wallace
Hunter
Brister

Assuming on of those 5 don't beat out a starter from last year and Goode reclaims 2nd base.

Good point about the portal closing yesterday and we only had one loss. I had thought it possible that Cimusz and Quiroga might look for more playing time elsewhere. But they could be still here for the love of the school. Since we lost a 2nd baseman and an outfielder and we have only 1 new outfielder coming in and 1 player left, it looks like it'll be a 5-player competition for Bella's spot among:

Cimusz
Quiroga
Wallace
Hunter
Brister

Assuming on of those 5 don't beat out a starter from last year and Goode reclaims 2nd base.
I agree. Thought Cimusz might look elsewhere too but I also feel like these girls are close. I think it’s Goode’s (2nd) and Hunter’s (LF) to lose going into the offseason. Or do you put Mia in LF and Joely at third? That’s a possibility. Also, Stewart needs to get better at first. I feel like we have t had a true first baseman since White took over. It’s a very overlooked position in all of softball.

So you know that Joely Mitchell is going to be here another year? I didn't know whether she was a senior transfer or a graduate transfer.

So you know that Joely Mitchell is going to be here another year? I didn't know whether she was a senior transfer or a graduate transfer.
She came into Texas as a grad transfer. She didn't participate in "senior" events. She did not play the 2020-2021 year at Notre Dame, so she has the bonus COVID year to use next year.

When they mentioned her transferring last year they said she had 2 more years. I think she had a health scare in 2021 and got another year of eligibility. I was confused as well that they had her listed as a senior but she didn’t participate in any of the senior day stuff either.

When they mentioned her transferring last year they said she had 2 more years. I think she had a health scare in 2021 and got another year of eligibility. I was confused as well that they had her listed as a senior but she didn’t participate in any of the senior day stuff either.
Softball signs Joley Mitchell - University of Texas Athletics

“Mitchell arrives on the Forty Acres following a four-year stint at The University of Notre Dame (2020-23) and will have two years of collegiate eligibility remaining.”

Excellent point. A Stanford education and a Texas education may be comparable - but I doubt anyone would consider Zero U in that category.
Here are a couple of questions for anyone,
First, the longhorns have one of the best group of pitchers in depth compared to any team in the nation.
Plus we have a freshman ace pitcher Crabtree coming in this fall.
Just a few individuals pitchers that our batters had challenges with RISP this past season.
Which was costly.

Why such a big interest in Canady? Do we really need her?
Or do we want her just to keep her away from OU?

During game 2 of the championship, our longhorn batters were not consistently producing no matter
what Sooner pitcher was on the mound.
Also, the sooner batters able to adjust to every pitcher we had on the mound vs we were not.

LOB Game1-
Longhorns 6
Sooners 5

LOB Game2-
Longhorns 6
Sooners 6

During the last Stanford game, it was close. Speed on the bases made the difference.
We had 5 hits to their 1 hit with Kavan on the mound.:hookem:

Having only one player leave the team in the portal is a tremendous indictment of the team spirit that Coach White and his staff have built at Texas! I had mentioned Cimusz, Quiroga, Brown and Simpson as possible transfers but who would want to leave a chance for a National Championship run again next year??
I think Brown did not see a lot of opportunity in her immediate future but she may have been on the fence since she waited to the last day to enter the portal.
I hope Simpson takes care of business and works to improve her game during the offseason. Then comes back like a dynamo and puts herself in a position that Coach White can’t help but play her!
I admire Coach White’s foresight in bringing in a small 2024 recruiting class. But I would not be surprised for him to pick up someone with a big batting average like Joley who brought an average of over 300 when she can to Texas. And she has been a big contributor.
This team is going to come out next season with a Big chip on it’s shoulder if what Kayden Henry said holds true! Can’t wait!

We lost 10 games in the 2024 season:
Stanford 3-4 winning pitcher Canady (Feb 23)
Houston 10-12 just a bad loss (Mar 8)
LSU 4-7 winning pitcher Sydney Berzon (Mar 12)
OSU 0-5 winning pitcher Killfoyl (Mar 28)
OSU 0-3 winning pitcher Killfoyl (Mar 30)
OU 2-5 winning pitcher Kelly Maxwell (Apr 5)
OU 1-5 winning pitcher Kelly Maxwell (May 11)
Ags 5-6 winning pitcher Emiley Kennedy (May 24)
OU 3-8 winning pitcher Kelly Maxwell (June 5)
OU 4-8 winning pitcher Deal got the win but Maxwell came in with the bases loaded and shut us down (June 6)
Every pitcher and school we lost to was selected either first or second team All American except Houston.

I am not sure if Coach White is even interested in Canady but I’m not sure how you can not be. How could anyone pass on the most dominant pitcher in the nation?
Cam Salmon is coming in as a top 5 ranked pitcher in the nation and we have a great pitching staff but no one “dominant’. Someone’s innings would certainly be reduced if she did come. It’s a tough call but I would love to see her come to Texas. Or ANYWHERE but OU.

Here are a couple of questions for anyone,
First, the longhorns have one of the best group of pitchers in depth compared to any team in the nation.
Plus we have a freshman ace pitcher Crabtree coming in this fall.
Just a few individuals pitchers that our batters had challenges with RISP this past season.
Which was costly.

Why such a big interest in Canady? Do we really need her?
Or do we want her just to keep her away from OU?

During the last Stanford game, it was close. Speed on the bases made the difference.
We had 5 hits to their 1 hit with Kavan on the mound.:hookem:

I believe the focus on Canady is:
1. Fear of Missing Out (FOMO) - Everyone wants her. OU assumes they have her. She must be and will be the best pitcher in 2025?
2. Will she be the X-factor in getting us a NC finally?
3. More important, if we have her that means that OU won't have her

Yes, we remember that we went 2-1 against her, but Stanford bats went quiet during that time. And I was there in person on the one loss. It was Keystone Cops fielding by Texas for that loss.

I agree that we do have 3 good, dependable pitchers for this next year, 1 struggling pitcher and one unknown. People should be fearing us! But what happens is that in the state of Oklahoma, we wilt when going up against OSU or OU. OSU had 1 good pitcher and OU had 1 good pitcher and they both got in our heads.

1. Fear of Missing Out (FOMO) - Everyone wants her. OU assumes they have her. She must be and will be the best pitcher in 2025?

Yes, we remember that we went 2-1 against her, but Stanford bats went quiet during that time. And I was there in person on the one loss. It was Keystone Cops fielding by Texas for that loss.

I agree that we do have 3 good, dependable pitchers for this next year, 1 struggling pitcher and one unknown. People should be fearing us! But what happens is that in the state of Oklahoma, we wilt when going up against OSU or OU. OSU had 1 good pitcher and OU had 1 good pitcher and they both got in our heads.

Yeah Canady is the only true shutdown every game pitcher. Everyone else is can shut you down for a game not for a whole series. I think we go at her just as a way to keep her from OU. I mean even if she goes to OU this will be the first year it doesn't guarantee a championship. It just puts them back in the top of the conversation.

Yeah Canady is the only true shutdown every game pitcher. Everyone else is can shut you down for a game not for a whole series. I think we go at her just as a way to keep her from OU. I mean even if she goes to OU this will be the first year it doesn't guarantee a championship. It just puts them back in the top of the conversation.
Agreed. Our strength is that we have 3 pitchers so when Laly goes out and gives up 2 homers in the first inning, we have someone else who can step in. The one thing I saw this past season was teams riding the same pitcher 2 out of 3 days in series, like we use to do with Cat and Blair. I wonder if that'll play a point in Canady's decision?

I think her agent is just doing the NIL negotiating right now. You know, I totally support NIL, but if you bring in a pitcher for 6 figures, what does that do for team chemistry when players are getting the equivalent of scholarship/boarding money?

We lost 10 games in the 2024 season:
Stanford 3-4 winning pitcher Canady (Feb 23)
Houston 10-12 just a bad loss (Mar 8)
LSU 4-7 winning pitcher Sydney Berzon (Mar 12)
OSU 0-5 winning pitcher Killfoyl (Mar 28)
OSU 0-3 winning pitcher Killfoyl (Mar 30)
OU 2-5 winning pitcher Kelly Maxwell (Apr 5)
OU 1-5 winning pitcher Kelly Maxwell (May 11)
Ags 5-6 winning pitcher Emiley Kennedy (May 24)
OU 3-8 winning pitcher Kelly Maxwell (June 5)
OU 4-8 winning pitcher Deal got the win but Maxwell came in with the bases loaded and shut us down (June 6)
Every pitcher and school we lost to was selected either first or second team All American except Houston.

I am not sure if Coach White is even interested in Canady but I’m not sure how you can not be. How could anyone pass on the most dominant pitcher in the nation?
Cam Salmon is coming in as a top 5 ranked pitcher in the nation and we have a great pitching staff but no one “dominant’. Someone’s innings would certainly be reduced if she did come. It’s a tough call but I would love to see her come to Texas. Or ANYWHERE but OU.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I get it. Canady is dominant. Pressure would definitely be on batting and fielding
if she came to Longhorn Nation.
Pitching records-
Sydney Berzon was 20 - 9.
Lexi Kilfoyl was 26-5.
Kelly Maxwell was 23-2.
Emiley Kennedy was 24-11.
Nijaree Canady was 24-7.
Jessica Mullins was 31-9
just for fun:
Teagan Kavan 20-3
Mac Morgan 16-1
Citaly Gutierrez 11-2.
:bevo:

:hookem:

Let me just make my point, Nijaree Canady would be a great addition to Texas Softball. Texas Softball would afford Nijaree Canady the luxury of not being the program savior. Other than maybe Florida, no one else does that. We can win without her and I hope that is attractive to her. :bevo:

They never offered season tickets? Well that explains why their average home attendance was about 500, not including games with Texas or OU.

Chemistry is so important for a team. These ladies appear to have a good one. I can't wait till next year. It won't be an easy road.

Read somewhere that the okies hit it out of the park on her visit. Debatable if she even visits Tx.... Hopefully she will give us a shot.
I can forsee this pitch:
1. We may not win a 5th in a row, but wait one year and you'll get a ring by the time you graduate
2. Your parents can drive up every weekend and watch you play
3. We'll be pulling in more pitchers because we can to support you so your arm won't be used as much
4. We've always had great hitting
5. We've always had great fielding
6. The SEC is a much harder conference than the PAC12 and you'll play against the best
7. We got $$$
8. We got a brand new, fancy stadium

Come to think of it, yeah why would she swing by Austin?

I can forsee this pitch:
1. We may not win a 5th in a row, but wait one year and you'll get a ring by the time you graduate
2. Your parents can drive up every weekend and watch you play
3. We'll be pulling in more pitchers because we can to support you so your arm won't be used as much
4. We've always had great hitting
5. We've always had great fielding
6. The SEC is a much harder conference than the PAC12 and you'll play against the best
7. We got $$$
8. We got a brand new, fancy stadium

Come to think of it, yeah why would she swing by Austin?
If education is the deciding issue, ou is out of the running.
Unless her "agent" tells her to choose Texas because of "X", any softball player with talent offered by ou will go to ou. ("Agent" is anyone she listens to.)

If education is the deciding issue, ou is out of the running.
Unless her "agent" tells her to choose Texas because of "X", any softball player with talent offered by ou will go to ou. ("Agent" is anyone she listens to.)
Stanford > Texas >> OU in terms of degrees

I believe that most of the four will be going to......[checks notes] Lubbock. Wait, have you ever been to Lubbock ladies? I guess it would be the total opposite of Lafayette.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-GEORGIA *
Sat, Oct 19 • 6:30 PM on ABC

Recent Threads

Back