2024 Recruiting - WBB

Preston is kinda a wildcard for me. Schaefer figures she can play but the question is when. In watching video of her, she’s definitely got skills. The only question for me is can she shoot and if so, when. Hard to figure out if it’s next year or her sophomore year. I’m not ready to wait, therefore my opinion of an upperclassman shooter transfer need. Next year should be a national championship contender. Hope is not a good strategy. For sure need to see her in person on the floor with teammates before getting too excited. I would love to see her being a plug and play for Gonzalez. We’ll see come June.

Bryanna is going to back up/spell Rori next season. She is fast and long (especially for a Vic PG). If any freshman steps into Shaylee’s 2G spot, it’s going to be Jordan.

DFW….agree completely. The ONLY caveat I ponder is how do you let the player who was your point guard for 2/3 the season, BIG 12 POY at the point, and took you to Elite 8 at the point……NOT play point when Rory sits. Preston backing up Harmon is probably true but perhaps as third string point guard. And for sure, we all recognize Booker can be outstanding at the 2-4 positions, but I’m thinking Schaefer will design an offense to use Booker at the point at times. Booker could be a point forward too and that’s my preference. Fun to speculate. Lots of options. None of them are bad. Last musing…..I watched the third quarter of the McDonald’s game tonight and Lee looks good. Definitely a two guard. Carlton looked good too. I recorded it and will watch entirety later.

No argument here about the versatility of next season’s roster. Getting Rori back will do wonders for on ball and perimeter defense but Jordan and Bryanna should help a ton too.

In searching for news on McDonald’s game from last night, Carlton and Lee were highlighted as 2 of the top 5 girls players. This was from the Houston Chronicle so thinking this was a little home cooking. Lee had 6 and Carlton had 8 points.

DFW….agree completely. The ONLY caveat I ponder is how do you let the player who was your point guard for 2/3 the season, BIG 12 POY at the point, and took you to Elite 8 at the point……NOT play point when Rory sits. Preston backing up Harmon is probably true but perhaps as third string point guard. And for sure, we all recognize Booker can be outstanding at the 2-4 positions, but I’m thinking Schaefer will design an offense to use Booker at the point at times. Booker could be a point forward too and that’s my preference. Fun to speculate. Lots of options. None of them are bad. Last musing…..I watched the third quarter of the McDonald’s game tonight and Lee looks good. Definitely a two guard. Carlton looked good too. I recorded it and will watch entirety later.
Flash - great point about what Booker did this year and whether she should be allowed to do it again next year. She is a great passer and has a deadly pull-up jumper. Could she do those things from the wing? Also, she is not "lightning quick", in the Rori mold. I think she is more comfortable guarding the other team's 3-4 player. She became good at bringing up the ball, and not turning it over, but she didn't become great at running fast breaks (IMHO). My point here is that I think we could get all of the best out of Booker at the wing position, and perhaps she could play freer without the pressure of being point.

Article about Jordan Lee at the Hoop Summit and Jason Kidd's AAU impact. Some extracts:
  • At Hoop Summit, Jordan Lee is representing Jason Kidd’s growing AAU impact. Twenty-six players have landed Division I scholarships out of Jason Kidd Select. Lee is the first to make the Hoop Summit game.
  • Jordan Lee will have a lot of pride wearing a USA Basketball jersey against the World team during the Hoop Summit women’s game on Saturday. The prep guard also had a lot of pride wearing a Jason Kidd Select jersey when she won an AAU national title last year.
  • Lee actually was in the eighth grade just like Gigi Bryant when the latter died. Lee said they played against each other a couple of times in AAU tournaments. On the day of the helicopter accident that killed Kobe and Gigi Bryant, Lee and her AAU team were at the tournament at the Mamba Academy in Thousand Oaks, California, that the Bryants and other victims were trying to get to.
  • With Lee leading the way, the Jason Kidd Select 17-and-under team won its first national title last year in the Premier Independent Circuit. Since 2020, all 26 eligible girls have landed Division I scholarships.
  • Along with starring for Jason Kidd Select, Lee averaged 25.4 points, 10.8 rebounds, 4.0 assists and 2.9 steals for St. Mary’s High School (Stockton, Calif.) during the 2023-24 season. ESPN ranked her as the No. 9 prospect in the Class of 2024. She also has a 4.2 grade point average as has plans of studying to be a dermatologist at Texas.
At Hoop Summit, Jordan Lee is representing Jason Kidd’s growing AAU impact

I agree with that assessment wholeheartedly.... Her defensive face guarding was a huge reason the World Team struggled in their offense the second half. In addition to those smooth moves to the bucket, she helped run the PG duties.

Vic believes building a championship caliber team requires stacking difference makers on the roster. We won't know how Jordan's game translates to the college court, if it does, until October/November pre-season practice.

Texas players have no chance to flourish unless they see the court, which requires adept defensive skills. This potentially sets Jordan apart from our other 6-foot guards (not named Madison) to earn early playing time. Can't wait to watch this unfold.

Last edited:
Texas players have no chance to flourish unless they see the court, which requires adept defensive skills. This potentially sets Jordan apart from our other 6-foot guards (not named Madison) to earn early playing time. Can't wait to watch this unfold.
I was thinking Jordan and Maddie could be an absolutely deadly combination at the 2/3, on both ends of the court. Of course this scenario will require somebody competent at the point guard slot. If only we had a hot shot 1 on our roster somewhere...

There are so, so many combinations that Vic will have at his disposal next season. It's going to be an awesome ride, I think.

From an article about the impact players last night. Maybe someone else knows what a “smitty” is.

“Jordan Lee, headed to Texas, didn't have the same gaudy box score numbers, but impressed with what she did from the standpoint of it being what she'll do at Texas. She was phenomenal with ball pressure and playing in the press, which the US switched to late in the game, and she played a pivotal role in forcing as many turnovers as Team USA did. Lee was also strong off the dribble and attacking the basket, including a strong drive the length of the court, hitting a smitty, and taking herself to the rim.

I can't wait to watch Lee learn from Shay Holle (returning for a fifth season).”

Jordan and Justice playing in the Jordan Brand Classic at 3:00 today in Brooklyn. Game will air on the NBA App and simulcast on NBA’s YouTube Channel.

Interview with Vic starts at the 37 minute mark:

When Vic addressed the question about the incoming freshman, he repeated almost word-for-word the assessment he gave at the February WBB luncheon. I attempted to post what he said in the season thread back on February 16. His version is much better than my poor attempt, don't miss it.

Can't help to get pumped over what Justice, Jordan and Bryanna will bring.

Anybody watch the Jordan Brand Classic game? How did Lee and Carlton look?
Lee looked good and started... Actually scored the first bucket of the game with a sweet 3-pointer. Carlton's rotations weren't as productive, as she seemed to be on the floor with people who didn't want to share the ball much. Those All-Star games are difficult to watch sometimes for that very reason. Justice played the three position some also.

The reason I don’t like to watch all star games. There typically are a few selfish players who like to dominate and other types don’t show up as well. Thanks for the insight.

Recent Threads

Back