2024 GOP Primary

Two things to note. First, you're right that big donors heavily influence the Democratic nominee. They influence who gets good media attention, and they have their eyes on electability first. If they weren't big players, the Democrats would probably have chosen Bernie in '20.

I don't think they greatly influence the GOP. In fact, I think most primary voters are suspicious of big donors. The donora are represented by the Bush wing. They want tax cuts, deregulation, and defense spending. They prefer open immigration (because it's anti-union) and want to avoid social issues. Nikki Haley is their candidate. Trump is not. He is the product of the voters.

Second, I understand the frustration that Desantis bailed after only one state, but the timing of the primaries isn't the big factor. Had he lost IA but looked strong in other states, he likely would have stayed in. The reason IA, NH, and SC get so much attention is that they are often bellwether states for predicting what other primary voters will do. The problem for Desantis is that looking at the rest of the country, IA looked more like a ceiling than a floor. It sucked, but it was true. Again, this is what the voters wanted.
The candidates were decided long ago by a few big donors and the media. At least we have a chance to vote for one of their choices, but even that election cannot be trusted.

The candidates were decided long ago by a few big donors and the media. At least we have a chance to vote for one of their choices, but even that election cannot be trusted.

Yes. Donors also determine who gets the campaign funding. Nikki is getting huge amounts of $ or she would have been belong Chris Christie.

They also have influence over political appointments if the R candidate wins, which they use to sway which policies actually are enacted.

Conservatives said they liked Trump's policies, but they hated his nasty side.
Well, they basically had that candidate in DeSantis, and they didn't want him. You know, he smiled weird.
I'll never understand the fascination with Trump, the man.
Whatever happens in the election will only drive the country further apart.
Something has got to change. I'm going to read more about the Forward Party, to see who is involved, how they plan to change things.
A party such as this may be our biggest hope one day. It won't make a ripple now, but, if people could realize that the majority of the bell curve are on the same page as far as policies, maybe it could work in the future.

The media definitely helps Trump, but what big donors wanted him to run in the primary? I'm not aware of many. Keep in mind that most of them know that donating to his campaign is a de facto donation to his legal defense more than it is a donation to help beat Joe Biden.

The media definitely helps Trump, but what big donors wanted him to run in the primary? I'm not aware of many. Keep in mind that most of them know that donating to his campaign is a de facto donation to his legal defense more than it is a donation to help beat Joe Biden.
Tim Mellon, Kelcy Warren, Geoffey Palmer, Linda McMahon. Yes, republicans are also guided by big donors.

Probably the best argument against Trump (but note Trump will be a lame duck in 2 years):

Tim Mellon, Kelcy Warren, Geoffey Palmer, Linda McMahon. Yes, republicans are also guided by big donors.

Did they do every much in the primary? Even if they threw some money his way, he didn't do much with it. It was mostly just his ****-flingers like Roger Stone and Laura Loomer doing his dirty work.

Conservatives said they liked Trump's policies, but they hated his nasty side.
Well, they basically had that candidate in DeSantis, and they didn't want him. You know, he smiled weird.
I'll never understand the fascination with Trump, the man.
Whatever happens in the election will only drive the country further apart.

They had a guy who actually accomplished a lot and another guy who talked a lot of trash and accomplished little and chose the latter. It was a classic pearls before swine scenario.

Something has got to change. I'm going to read more about the Forward Party, to see who is involved, how they plan to change things.
A party such as this may be our biggest hope one day. It won't make a ripple now, but, if people could realize that the majority of the bell curve are on the same page as far as policies, maybe it could work in the future.

It's an interesting group. They support ways to open up the system more such as "independent" redistricting commissions, ranked choice voting, etc., but I see little about their policy positions on substantive issues. What would they do about them budget deficit and entitlements? Are they DEI freaks like Democrats are? Are they open borders advocates? Electoral reforms alone won't cut it.

Last edited:
Somebody's obviously voting for Trump in the primary.

20240123_215004.jpg

Looks like Trump will defeat Haley by about 11.5 points. Haley says she's not dropping out. That tells you she's the donors's candidate. It's not the blowout we saw in Iowa, but it is a decisive win. More importantly, the polls strongly suggest that it's a ceiling for Haley, not a floor. No reason for her to stay in unless it's to spend money.

The only way Trump won't be the nominee is if a health scare takes him out. And if that happens, Desantis, Vivek, etc. will re-enter the race. Keep in mind that they didn't end their campaigns. They suspended them, and they can be reactivated. So the nomination won't fall to Haley by default.

Some reports saying that Democrats or others on the left were voting for Haley. So Haley is the Republican donors choice and Democrat voters choice. Hmmm.

Some reports saying that Democrats or others on the left were voting for Haley. So Haley is the Republican donors choice and Democrat voters choice. Hmmm.
Yep. I saw a report that said less than 30% of Haley's votes came from registered Republicans. I haven't verified it, but it sounds like typical democrap shenanigans.

Looks like Trump will defeat Haley by about 11.5 points. Haley says she's not dropping out. That tells you she's the donors's candidate. It's not the blowout we saw in Iowa, but it is a decisive win. More importantly, the polls strongly suggest that it's a ceiling for Haley, not a floor. No reason for her to stay in unless it's to spend money.

The only way Trump won't be the nominee is if a health scare takes him out. And if that happens, Desantis, Vivek, etc. will re-enter the race. Keep in mind that they didn't end their campaigns. They suspended them, and they can be reactivated. So the nomination won't fall to Haley by default.

She had 2 significant big $ donors pull support today. Clock is ticking on her

She had 2 significant big $ donors pull support today. Clock is ticking on her

I think they know they're throwing good money after bad. It certainly seems so. The only thing that could bring her back is if she somehow wins or is at least very close in SC. Not likely to happen.

If the US had a parliamentary system, we would have 5 parties:
Green (progressive)
Dem (liberal)
GOP (conservative)
National (populist)
Libertarian

I am ignoring far right and far left parties.

"What in the Wild Word Sports is A Going Here" Blazing Saddles. Nikki needs to drop out and President Bident cannot debate.

I voted for Reagen, but Trump is who I have.

"What in the Wild Word Sports is A Going Here" Blazing Saddles. Nikki needs to drop out and President Bident cannot debate.

I voted for Reagan, but Trump is who we have.
Personally I think everyone but the bitter enders know Trump will be president. There is no defense of Biden by the Dems. He can’t drop out because he needs to protect Hunter. Watch for massive race riots and ballot cheating but it won’t be enough.

Personally I think everyone but the bitter enders know Trump will be president. There is no defense of Biden by the Dems. He can’t drop out because he needs to protect Hunter. Watch for massive race riots and ballot cheating but it won’t be enough.

Trump going to jail would stop this.

I think they know they're throwing good money after bad. It certainly seems so. The only thing that could bring her back is if she somehow wins or is at least very close in SC. Not likely to happen.
Iowa and NH are about what I expected for Haley. If she can't pull SC though...that's bad news and should be the end of her campaign. Our primary system sure lacks a lot to be desired. This process where two tiny states effectively make the choice for everyone is b.s.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back