2024 GOP Primary

Reducing immigration does help the lower and middle classes. That is true. I'm not sure that it encourages technological advancement. Usually heightened competition for wealth leads to technological advancement.

Higher wages will encourage more automation (i.e. technological advancement). Capital improvement is how wages increase through increase worker productivity in the first place.

I would go to very very low numbers for a while, because of how long we've been at very very high numbers. We need to deport those here illegally, and we need to assimilate those here legally. That takes time.

Long term, I'd have levels vary according to labour needs, and immigrants would be chosen based on merit, and yes, I would discriminate on the basis of cultural background (not race). Furthermore, I wouldn't let them bring anyone other than immediate family - spouse and minor children. Most of all, I'd encourage assimilation rather than discourage it as we do now.

More or less agree. The key is to strengthen and maintain American culture.

Yes, but with more people, it's easier to increase the supply of those things.

Recent history has shown that the increase in demand outpaces the increase in supply, at least for key things. Money supply is a bigger factor, but forced immigration moves the needle too.

Trust me. I hate seeing it, but he doesn't have a choice if he wants to run again in the future. He needs the Trump people.

Like it or not, Trump is the head of populist movement in the Republican Party. It is best to ride the wave to shore. Once that is done people like DeSantis will have an important opportunity to push it to the next step. That doesn't mean Trump is great or even better on issues than DeSantis and others. He isn't. But you can't hold back the wave at this point. You either ride it or it crashes into you.

Heck I am skeptical Trump can win. Not saying he cannot get the most votes but that he cannot win.

Nash, are you saying that Trump cannot win the nomination or the general election? I think he wins both.

As an aside, people and the media are talking about running mates. I would be happy with Trump/Desantis, Trump/Scott or Trump/Ramaswamy. If not VP, I think Ramaswamy would be a great pick for Sec of State. He knows how to negotiate and would stand up for this country.

I've also heard Kristy Noem and Sarah Huckabee Sanders as potential running mates.

Halley? No.

Last edited:
I think Trump’s issues will be a motivated dem base, mail in ballots, media bias and the fact he has done more to isolate independents and supporters of DeSantis/Haley. I will strongly consider a 3rd party candidate.

Again I will read the tea leaves. I think the election process is totally destroyed at this point. Big donors decide who is running and two primary states where less people live than Houston choose who I can vote for. Throw in refusals to debate by candidates and 95% of Americans only get to choose from two preselected candidates.

Again I will read the tea leaves. I think the election process is totally destroyed at this point. Big donors decide who is running and two primary states where less people live than Houston choose who I can vote for. Throw in refusals to debate by candidates and 95% of Americans only get to choose from two preselected candidates.

Two things to note. First, you're right that big donors heavily influence the Democratic nominee. They influence who gets good media attention, and they have their eyes on electability first. If they weren't big players, the Democrats would probably have chosen Bernie in '20.

I don't think they greatly influence the GOP. In fact, I think most primary voters are suspicious of big donors. The donora are represented by the Bush wing. They want tax cuts, deregulation, and defense spending. They prefer open immigration (because it's anti-union) and want to avoid social issues. Nikki Haley is their candidate. Trump is not. He is the product of the voters.

Second, I understand the frustration that Desantis bailed after only one state, but the timing of the primaries isn't the big factor. Had he lost IA but looked strong in other states, he likely would have stayed in. The reason IA, NH, and SC get so much attention is that they are often bellwether states for predicting what other primary voters will do. The problem for Desantis is that looking at the rest of the country, IA looked more like a ceiling than a floor. It sucked, but it was true. Again, this is what the voters wanted.

I would like to see Trump send people to prison:

I don't think this is necessarily true. For starters, Trump could go to jail even if he wins, because he's getting prosecuted in state courts. There will be a fight in the Supreme Court over when he'd serve his sentence, but he could still go to jail.

In addition, unless a Trump DoJ finds a way to prosecute people outside of DC, no Democrat is going to jail. A DC jury isn't going to convict a Democrat in any prosecution that has a political angle to it.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back