2024 GOP Primary

H2
What has Trump done or said to make you believe he is only in it for himself now?
In looking at his results that benefitted our country and realizing he surely isn't in for the money what could he do as POTUS that would benefit him?

Look, I think DeSantis is the better choice. However, staying home and deciding not to vote for Trump when he wins the Republican primary and goes against Biden is a terrible idea.

Look, I think DeSantis is the better choice. However, staying home and deciding not to vote for Trump when he wins the Republican primary and goes against Biden is a terrible idea.
I'm surprised this point even needs to be made in this thread. Jesus Christ.

Look, I think DeSantis is the better choice.

I have not decided on DeSantis or Ramaswamy but my cats would be a better President than Biden and two of those cats are idiots.

Trump should debate. Get out there and show us you can stand up to the challengers versus just having rallies.

I'm surprised this point even needs to be made in this thread. Jesus Christ.
Y’all are missing the point. If the electorate just accepts Trump now, Trump will win the nomination but lose the presidency.

Even if Trump could win, he can’t lead the country. Time to move on.

Is Trump pledging to support whoever is the nominee? Asking for a pilot friend in Chicago.

Last edited:
Y’all are missing the point. If the electorate just accepts Trump now, Trump will win the nomination but lose the presidency.

Even if Trump could win, he can’t lead the country. Time to move on.

Is Trump pledging to support whoever is the nominee? Asking for a pilot friend in Chicago.
I don't think any of us are missing the poiint. Poiint to any of us who have said that at this point we hope Trump is the nominee. No one.

Poiint to who have said if he is the nominee, however, he is better than ANYONE the dems would put up. he was in 2016 and 2020 and would be now.

It’s time to let Trump and the blind supporters know the conservative movement is moving on.
Anyway, so if he ends up being the nominee, staying home and not voting is just stupid.

Not sure why you are being so hard headed here. None of us are saying we want Trump. We are saying we will vote for him if it is him vs. any Dim.

Last edited:
I hated Romney and McCain (freaking apex RINOs) but I voted for them and I have no regrets for it.

Staying home or voting third party is just putting Biden in the White House and we have to hope none of our conservative SCOTUS members don't die/retire before our next chance in 2028.

H2
What has Trump done or said to make you believe he is only in it for himself now?
In looking at his results that benefitted our country and realizing he surely isn't in for the money what could he do as POTUS that would benefit him?

Trump isn't the same guy. Post j6 Trump is all about himself, self pity, and playing pit bull on former loyal employees like Kaylee mcenany.

Talk about petty, and punching down...

His time has come and gone. Right now he's Biden with an R

Last edited:

Trump won't win. He could get +20 pts in 30 states and "they " would find a way to see he loses. We saw it in 2020, was confirmed in 2022 when people he vocally backed lost key positions.

But the Trump of today is a legitimate loser.

Fetterman, anybody? Trump hand picks some tv personality to beat him and... didn't.

Results. That's what matters and Trump’s day of delivering is long gone.

Fwiw, I'm not staying home. I'll vote for Ted Cruz, make my way downward. If Trump's name is above I'm a hard pass. In Texas that may not be meaningful but in places like PA, WI, MI, AZ NV, MN it is. Trump has lost every one of those states before November arrives

Trump won't win. He could get +20 pts in 30 states and "they " would find a way to see he loses. We saw it in 2020, was confirmed in 2022 when people he vocally backed lost key positions.

But the Trump of today is a legitimate loser.

Fetterman, anybody? Trump hand picks some tv personality to beat him and... didn't.

Results. That's what matters and Trump’s day of delivering is long gone.

Fwiw, I'm not staying home. I'll vote for Ted Cruz, make my way downward. If Trump's name is above I'm a hard pass. In Texas that may not be meaningful but in places like PA, WI, MI, AZ NV, MN it is. Trump has lost every one of those states before November arrives

Can't win? Have you seen the polls lately?

Trump was blamed for a lot of stuff in 2020 and there was lot of election fraud as well. People he backed did lose in 2022. Mitchel's and McCarthy's people didn't do well either. We severely underperformed in 2022.

I was wrong about DeSantis' ability to win an election. You can blame the Trump cult all you want but the fact is that some guy who can't even get 20% in a primary probably isn't going to win against an incumbent president. DeSantis is having an issue with independent voters.

Last edited:
Can't win? Have you seen the polls lately?

Trump was blamed for a lot of stuff in 2020 and there was lot of election fraud as well. People he backed did lose in 2022. Mitchel's and McCarthy's people didn't do well either. We severely underperformed in 2022.

I was wrong about DeSantis' ability to win an election. You can blame the Trump cult all you want but the fact is that some guy who can't even get 20% in a primary probably isn't going to win against an incumbent president.

Polls looked great in 2022. Didn't work out

When Trump has to get out of his basement and debate, that lead shrinks. How he handled covid being the biggest issue. The indictments that might have merit, being the other.

Like ii's noted, has Trump said he'd back another R if he loses the primary? He won't and you know it. He's in this for himself now. Won't debate, won't back the nominee if it's not him

People he backed did lose in 2022. Mitchel's and McCarthy's people didn't do well either. We severely underperformed in 2022.

I've given Trump and his candidates plenty of flack for losing winnable races in '22, and it's well-deserved. However, we can't underestimate the impact of mail-in balloting. It was almost surely decisive in '20 and '22. If we don't master that like the Democrats have, neither Trump nor Desantis are winning.

When Trump has to get out of his basement and debate, that lead shrinks. How he handled covid being the biggest issue. The indictments that might have merit, being the other.

Like ii's noted, has Trump said he'd back another R if he loses the primary? He won't and you know it. He's in this for himself now. Won't debate, won't back the nominee if it's not him

Maybe so but that doesn't change the point that if you don't vote Trump you will allow Biden to win. We can't take another four years of this corruption.

Maybe so but that doesn't change the point that if you don't vote Trump you will allow Biden to win. We can't take another four years of this corruption.

I hear you, but look what happened when Trump looked into Biden's corruption (call to Ukraine) Trump got impeached. How f'd up is that? Quid pro quo... that got turned on him quickly. Unfair. Shouldn't have happened. Yet it did

Trump can't drain the swamp, it drained him. I don't know why people can't see that. It happened in front of our eyes.

He didn't drain it but he exposed more of it than we'd seen. He got the ball rolling for the likes of Comer to blister the likes of Biden. Point is, if you want to drain the swamp DeSantis would be more effective. Vivek probably moreso. But Trump? Before he can aim his rifle he's already been shot in the back 20x by the swamp people. Just truth

I’ll add that I believe Trump is leading, but not by as much as CNN, MSNBC and Fox say. All of the media want a Trump candidacy. It sells.

I think most GOP are having more issues with independents than usual due to Roe. Maybe that event will diminish over time but i think it is still impacting the election/polling for the next 3-6 years. It will take some time before the energy burns out of the abortion proponents on that one.

DJT probably has legit support of the 35-40% of the staunchest conservatives. He has "anti-Dem", "anti-Media" backlash support from another 20-25% of conservatives right now based on him being the target of so many bad faith legal attacks. He is beatable in a primary but not if the contenders are splitting the vote and voters' attention. hopefully the crowd thins a bit after the first debate.

I think most GOP are having more issues with independents than usual due to Roe. Maybe that event will diminish over time but i think it is still impacting the election/polling for the next 3-6 years. It will take some time before the energy burns out of the abortion proponents on that one.

I think the impact will depend on how they handle things on the issue. I think they've handled it terribly so far. For starters, I think all talk of national bans is foolish. They should be respecting states' rights on the issue. Second, they are shooting too far, too fast in some states, which is leading to policy defeats and handing political ammunition to Democrats.

Basically, other than in lopsidedly pro-life states like Alabama, they should have done nothing for about a year. Just let the ruling sink in and get people used to it being a state issue. In the meantime, celebrate the ruling and start advocating for modest restrictions at the state level, which will make Democrats look like unhinged extremists on the issue. Then pass those restrictions at the state level and celebrate them as pro-life victories. After an election cycle or two, then start doing the hard work of advocacy and convincing voters of the merits of more aggressive legislation, and be patient. It takes time. If they had gone down this path, I think the issue would be far less toxic, and we'd be in far better shape.

I am trying to figure out how this isn't reasonable to prevent fraud. Judge is a W appt
"In Texas, U.S. District Judge Xavier Rodriguez nixed a provision in state law that required officials to reject mail-in ballots with ID numbers that don't match the ones on voter registration forms, according to a summary judgment issued on Aug. 17 (pdf).

The now-abolished provision required that mail-in ballots be rejected if they bear a different Texas driver's license number or ID number of the voter than what was on their original application for voter registration.
Federal Judges Strike Down Parts of GOP-Backed Election Integrity Laws in Georgia, Texas

Ga voter laws for rejected too

I am trying to figure out how this isn't reasonable to prevent fraud. Judge is a W appt
"In Texas, U.S. District Judge Xavier Rodriguez nixed a provision in state law that required officials to reject mail-in ballots with ID numbers that don't match the ones on voter registration forms, according to a summary judgment issued on Aug. 17 (pdf).

The now-abolished provision required that mail-in ballots be rejected if they bear a different Texas driver's license number or ID number of the voter than what was on their original application for voter registration.
Federal Judges Strike Down Parts of GOP-Backed Election Integrity Laws in Georgia, Texas

Ga voter laws for rejected too

Full disclosure - I'm friends with Steven Wayne Smith (who unseated X-Rod on the Texas Supreme Court), so my conflict of interest is acknowledged. Having said that, there's a reason why SWS challenged X-Rod. SWS is an ideological, constitutional conservative. X-Rod was and is not. He's a corporate moderate who was appointed to the court because he was Hispanic (back when Perry was still trying to be a moderate, Bush knock-off) who would carry water for the business lobby. Bush appointed him to the federal bench to throw him a bone after he was defeated. On issues not directly related to business, he's going to lean left a lot of the time.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Back