2024 GOP Primary

I did not write or say that Trump is better than DeSantis. However, he has a proven track record as President. While he is a proven leader who can turn the country in a positive direction, he also has a thin skin and an enormous ego

If a proven record was determinative, we'd always favour incumbents. That may be wise at times, but Trump's record is mixed. It ranges from excellent (judicial nominations) to good (the border and foreign policy) to mediocre (social issues) to bad (Covid and general competence) to terrible (fiscal policy and inflation). We don't have to accept that in the primary, and we shouldn't..

If Trump does not attend the debate on the 23rd, I will PROBABLY move to the DeSantis camp.

Not sure why Trump is wavering on the debate. As a kid, I never backed down from a fist fight and only lost one. Not a tough guy, but I don't like being pushed. In politics, you will be pushed, and Trump knows that. Didn't seek out fights and generally could talk my way out from the idiots who were looking for a fight. Saved my life once. Long story.

I would prefer that he debate, but from a political strategy perspective, I understand why he's hesitant. He's leading in the polls (at least for now), and at least much of his support is solid (won't change much). If he debates, he will get clocked by Desantis where he's vulnerable (Covid, the budget, and social issues), and he'll get shamed for not promising to back the nominee. And on Covid, he's pretty much defenseless. He has no good answer (not even a BS answer). He's far more likely to lose support by debating than by not debating.

Last edited:
While I won't support Trump's attacks on his political foes, I believe he is the best choice in 2024. Reagan is gone and this is who we have. It's Biden, Harris, Newsome or Trump. You pick. Decide not to vote, it's a throwaway.

Trump cannot win. Simple as that. Unfair, yes, but true. The deck is stacked against him (media, doj, fbi) but most importantly he's lost respect of independent voters that once voted for him. He's been an *** under pressure. No one wants an unhinged leader.

Ron DeSanctimonius. What kind of juvenile ******** is this?

Last edited:
Trump cannot win. Simple as that. Unfair, yes, but true. The deck is stacked against him (media, doj, fbi) bur most importantly he's lost respect of independent voters that once voted for him. He's been an *** under pressure. No one wants an unhinged leader.

Ron DeSanctimonius. What juvenile ******** is this?
I also think that is one reason DJT won't debate. That nickname crap is his go to move. It plays well with the crowds that are already going to see him, but it plays incredibly poorly now with the rest of America. He can't really debate well and when he resorts to his name calling it will further cement the 65% of America that doesn't want him as POTUS.

Watching Trump supporters use cow bells and chants to drown out DeSantis this weekend in Iowa is despicable. He will lose more and more votes as long as that continues.

From one post, I have been quoted by two of my favorite posters, Deez and H2R. I might be a god, not the Almighty, but a smaller deity. :smile1:

While Trump is not impugn from criticism, he is not the Devil as made out on national media. When it comes it Covid, I don't understand the Trump blame. Fauchi skates and Trump is at fault?

The budget seems to allude almost every President. Social issues? Lowest unemployment in history, low gas prices. Please, give me a break.

While Trump is not perfect, he was better than Saint Barack.

Agree with BrntOrange - STOP with the name calling. If this continues, I might need help moving my gear to the DeSantis camp.

Still have the popcorn ready for the debate. He better show up.

Last edited:
Watching Trump supporters use cow bells and chants to drown out DeSantis this weekend in Iowa is despicable. He will lose more and more votes as long as that continues.

People will do stupid things and I will not support that kind of behavior.

Edit for Deez: BehaivoUr.

Last edited:
I did not write or say that Trump is better than DeSantis. However, he has a proven track record as President. While he is a proven leader who can turn the country in a positive direction, he also has a thin skin and an enormous ego.

If Trump does not attend the debate on the 23rd, I will PROBABLY move to the DeSantis camp.

Not sure why Trump is wavering on the debate. As a kid, I never backed down from a fist fight and only lost one. Not a tough guy, but I don't like being pushed. In politics, you will be pushed, and Trump knows that. Didn't seek out fights and generally could talk my way out from the idiots who were looking for a fight. Saved my life once. Long story.
The DeSantis camp will carefully review your application and let you know.

ii,

6721 comes complete with own protection force known as "Major". There's nothing the opposition can dish out that Major can't handle.

While Trump is not impugn from criticism, he is not the Devil as made out on national media. When it comes it Covid, I don't understand the Trump blame. Fauchi skates and Trump is at fault?

Fauci got his power and his authority from Trump. So though Fauci is at fault, Trump didn't stop him when he could have, so Trump deserves blame.

The budget seems to allude almost every President. Social issues? Lowest unemployment in history, low gas prices. Please, give me a break.

The issue isn't the size of the deficits. The economy and situations beyond his control too heavily impact thatu. The issue is what the President was trying to do in the process. On current entitlements, Trump was basically a Democrat - total opposition to any reform regardless of the financial situation. On the rest of the budget he pushed congressional leaders not to get into budget fights. Basically, the message was to boost the Pentagon's budget, cut taxes, and give the Democrats whatever was necessary in spending to avoid a major confrontation. That meant big deficits even as the economy was rallying and deficits should have been falling. And of course when COVID hit, he was an advocate of no restraint at all and therefore the inflation spike we got soon after he left office.

While Trump is not perfect, he was better than Saint Barack.

On the budget? That's questionable. Trump was a bigger spender and borrower.

Also, Saint Barack isn't running for the GOP nomination, so the comparison isn't really relevant.

While I admire your wisdom, I will disagree.

I believe that Trump was the second greatest President of my generation behind Reagan.

Reagan pulled us out of the malise of the mid-late 70's. I served through the debacle of Eagle One (not Carter's fault, was an accident) and was in Riyad during Reagan's inauguration. This invigorated most service members. We had hope.

Back to Trump, he gave the country hope. As I stated earlier, low unemployment, low energy prices, tough on the national stage. While the deficit went up under Reagan and Trump in their first administration, it shrank in Reagan's second administration. Trump didn't have that option.

While I have written that Trump was not perfect, who is? He was better than his predecessor.

Why do I refer to him as Saint Barak? Because he is sanctified by many Democrats. It alludes me why. The country did not get better but he was a Democrat. Sad truth is, I was raised a Democrat but voted for Reagan. I grew up.

I do not know if I will vote for Trump in 2024. As I stated, he better show up for the debate.

I'd have to rate Trump the best in my lifetime. But his time has come and gone. He's the Jake deGrom of potus's. When healthy (trump 1rst term) no one was better. But he's on the DL ( trump =lost his frigging mind) and can't help the team (country) any longer.

Reagan turned a blind eye to the southern border. Imo, it began to be a major issue in his years

Reagan turned a blind eye to the southern border. Imo, it began to be a major issue in his years

Can you clarify? I spent time with GTE on the south border of Texas after the Reagan administration and didn't see a major influx like we have now. Del Rio, Brownsville, etc. and no one mentioned it. Not doubting you, just curious.

I believe that Trump was the second greatest President of my generation behind Reagan.

Reagan pulled us out of the malise of the mid-late 70's. I served through the debacle of Eagle One (not Carter's fault, was an accident) and was in Riyad during Reagan's inauguration. This invigorated most service members. We had hope.

Back to Trump, he gave the country hope. As I stated earlier, low unemployment, low energy prices, tough on the national stage. While the deficit went up under Reagan and Trump in their first administration, it shrank in Reagan's second administration. Trump didn't have that option.

While I have written that Trump was not perfect, who is? He was better than his predecessor.

Why do I refer to him as Saint Barak? Because he is sanctified by many Democrats. It alludes me why. The country did not get better but he was a Democrat. Sad truth is, I was raised a Democrat but voted for Reagan. I grew up.

I do not know if I will vote for Trump in 2024. As I stated, he better show up for the debate.
The issue isn't with Trumps policy or accomplishments, it's about perception. You have to realize that many people (mostly women) don't think of their president in terms of what they have done for the country, but in terms of how the person makes them feel.

I posted this before, but my cousin's wife said "I could never vote for Trump because he's too mean". She'd vote for a nice person who destroys the country over a perceived mean person, and the MSM has made sure these type people see Trump as pure evil.

If some of these people saw a famous actor, athlete, etc. on TV eating S&*%, they would go the the bathroom and eat S&*%.

The irony is that there have been plenty of reports that say biden is an ****&^% to his associates and servants while Trump is actually nice to them. But no way is Trump overcoming the perception at this point.

I understand the sentiment, but there are two big differences. First, Reagan had high deficits mostly when the economy was in recession and we were in the midst of a massive military buildup. Trump run up the deficit when the economy was strong. Second, Reagan was an entitlement reformer and tried to cut social spending. Trump did the opposite, even though his party controlled Congress during his first two years. He wasn't any kind of fiscal conservative.

And I only dismiss the Obama comparison because he's not on the ballot, so it's not relevant to me. Instead, I compare him with Desantis who will be on the ballot.

it's about perception

I read a book years ago about perception. Perception and first impressions are important. John Wayne in Stagecoach.
EB20110801REVIEWS08110809999AR.jpg

Can you clarify? I spent time with GTE on the south border of Texas after the Reagan administration and didn't see a major influx like we have now. Del Rio, Brownsville, etc. and no one mentioned it. Not doubting you, just curious.

A carpenter I knew in dallas, 1985, was making $15 an hour. A somewhat liveable wage at the time. He was given an ultimatum to take a $5 cut in pay or be let go to be replaced by folks from south of the border

About the same time, my Dad was approached to sell his business (2nd try, started in 1982. His 1rst business went south in the '75 recession). Larger company in construction approached him to buy him out. He looked into the buyer, they regularly laid off American workers and replaced them with "illegals". Fast fwd 20 yrs, a lot of the people I hired or worked with, white collar, manufacturing, had crossed the border as kids in the mid 80s. Too many ignore

Last edited:
People have been crossing the border illegally for decades. As a U.S. citizen, I was stopped by a Mexican Federally Lieutenant when coming back into the U.S. in 1995. Why? Because he chose to and could. My point is, while illegal immigration cannot be stopped, it can be slowed.

Last edited:
People have been crossing the border illegally for decades. As a U.S. citizen, I was stopped by a Mexican Federally Lieutenant when coming back into the U.S. in 1995. Why? Because he chose to and could. My point is, while illegal immigration cannot be stopped, it can be slowed.

It can be slowed, but at present, pretty much all of the money is on the side of not slowing it down - retailers, construction companies, service industries, etc. throw billions at pro-open borders politicians. There was a time when labour unions would throw a little money in favour of border security (since illegal immigration massively undermines unionisation), but they've been so captured by Democratic Party politics that they've sold out their interests on the issue.

Favour? Someone has been in Europe for a while. :smile1:

When I moved to the UK, I got a new phone and set everything up with UK settings (in part so I could get UK apps), so my predictive text does that. Sometimes I go back and change the spellings back, but that's a hassle. Lol

While are the labor unions in the US in favor of illegal immigration?

I honestly don't think they are, but I think they've made a deal with the devil. They know illegal immigration is good for Democrats, and Democrats winning tends to be good for unions.

If the GOP became a little more union friendly, that would present a big dilemma for them.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back