2023-24 Transfer Portal Thread (CLosed-Opens APRIL 15TH)

Do we have a King Ranch 4x4 in the garage? Because that’s not what I saw all season. What I saw was more like a Taurus or a Pinto. Maybe it’s the scheme or the way they’re coached but the corners in particular were noncompetitive most of the season.
To me the 2024 secondary will be considerably better than last year, and likely the strength of the defense. The probable starters are:

S - Williams & Mukuba
CB - Muhammad & Brooks
N - Barron

Behind them is plenty of talent, including Guilbeau, Jordan, Holmes, Taaffe, McDonald, Roberson, plus super incoming freshmen Kobe Black and Xavier Filsaime.

Where we could be vulnerable is at DT, but hopefully either someone will step up, or there will be an impactful addition in the spring.

The major programs need to gather together and meet on this subject as well as the portal at a neutral undisclosed location. Only outsider allowed will be Jackie Sherrill as guest speaker. I think they will be alarmed by what Jackie has to say; alarmed enough to force immediate major changes or to kick the NCAA out of major college sports. I'm reasonably sure Jackie would suggest having Barry also speak.

P5 schools are reversing the lessons taught A&M by following the Barry model. If they don't listen and act, kiss D-1 sports as we've known them good-bye not to mention losing 50%+ of your season ticket holders.
Would this take place in upstate New York?

That's my point. Are we paying Bentley prices for Malibu performance? Either way, just because Phil Knight is willing to pay Raptor price for a Lariat, doesn't mean we should.

After all, Phil Knight needs Texas a whole lot more than Texas needs Phil Knight.
Sure but shouldn’t we be willing to pay Raptor price for a Raptor? The guy is highly rated and likely an upgrade over either corner we have (imo a big upgrade over one of the corners we have). That is unless our guys are hindered by scheme or coaching, in which case an upgrade wouldn’t matter,

Brown,

Don't know where it would take place but definitely somewhere SOUTH of I-40 & preferably below I-20 or no more than 50 miles north of I-20.

It feels weird that we can’t outcompete Oregon financially. I know the whole Knight/Nike thing but still. It’s disappointing especially at a position of apparent need.
Sark has said on multiple occassions he will not bring in players who are strictly looking for NIL money.
They have to want to play for Texas and fit the culture.

Seeing on social media that Jabbar Muhammad has committed to Oregon. If so, not a surprise. Probably a financial decision, given that he bypassed his connections to players at Texas.
Maybe he visited Austin in late July. If I boarded a plane in Seattle July 31 and walked out of the terminal at Bergstrom to 197*, I might think about working out in the bowels of Hell, turn around a buy a ticket to Eugene too.

It feels weird that we can’t outcompete Oregon financially. I know the whole Knight/Nike thing but still. It’s disappointing especially at a position of apparent need.

I don't think it has anything to do with not being able to beat Oregon's offer. We have plenty of money. I'm fairly certain that he was given a fair offer and we have established a position of not out right over paying and buying players. If Oregon wants to give an obscene amount then that's on them and good luck. We're getting almost anyone we want.

To me the 2024 secondary will be considerably better than last year, and likely the strength of the defense. The probable starters are:

S - Williams & Mukuba
CB - Muhammad & Brooks
N - Barron

Behind them is plenty of talent, including Guilbeau, Jordan, Holmes, Taaffe, McDonald, Roberson, plus super incoming freshmen Kobe Black and Xavier Filsaime.

Where we could be vulnerable is at DT, but hopefully either someone will step up, or there will be an impactful addition in the spring.
I wish I could share your optimism. Texas has the guys everyone was recruiting so its not like we have chopped liver back there. We do however have the dc that loves the 10 yard cushion. Unless that changes, doesnt matter who is back there.

I wish I could share your optimism. Texas has the guys everyone was recruiting so its not like we have chopped liver back there. We do however have the dc that loves the 10 yard cushion. Unless that changes, doesnt matter who is back there.
One tends to ‘love’ the 10 yard cushion when defensive lack of speed dictates. Nobody opts to be slow or cover one on one poorly. Few of these kids had to single up Xavier types in HS.

I don't think it has anything to do with not being able to beat Oregon's offer. We have plenty of money. I'm fairly certain that he was given a fair offer and we have established a position of not out right over paying and buying players. If Oregon wants to give an obscene amount then that's on them and good luck. We're getting almost anyone we want.
You are spot on Vol Horn. Plus their were some concerns about him
Correct and add the concerns of him being overrated and maybe a one and done guy.
It is the old investment advice of being well bought.

Keep this in mind:

Williams and Mukuba are replacing Taaffe & Thompson. Taaffe is a great kid, and smart. Simply, he doesn’t possess the physical skills of the likely 24 starters. (Taaffe will definitely be in the rotation.)

Thompson played hard, but he didn’t possess the speed and coverage skills of the two likely starters this year. Don’t forget that Williams, a 5-star, was a summer 2023 enrollee. With a full year under his belt and a spring, I think we’re going to see an emerging, elite player.

At corner, there are plenty of options. Muhammed will have a year under his belt, and I have little doubt that he will begin to emerge as an outstanding player. The book on Brooks is that he has the skill set, simply, he needs to refine his game. Again, one more year is going to make a big difference.

More than a few considered Barron “the best player on the team” during the first quarter of last season. Then the injury bug hit, and he was not 100% for the rest of the year. My guess is that he will be competing for the Thorpe award this year.

If you look at the stable of backups that will be available, it’s impressive. Many would be starters at all but perhaps the top 10-15 programs.

If we are not considerably better on the backend I will be shocked. (Or, the injury bug will have hit. I’m knocking on wood!) Let me add that I expect all of the likely starters to be playing in the NFL after they leave Texas, and most will be drafted, some in the early rounds.

Finally, I think you will see a different defensive strategy out of PK, and more press coverage. That started to happen late last season.

Last edited:
Sure but shouldn’t we be willing to pay Raptor price for a Raptor? The guy is highly rated and likely an upgrade over either corner we have (imo a big upgrade over one of the corners we have). That is unless our guys are hindered by scheme or coaching, in which case an upgrade wouldn’t matter,
Not if it's a maroon raptor with Saw em off stickers on the back window and bumpers.

You don't pay jack squat for a guy who doesn't fit your culture. Did this kid really fit ours?

I'm unsure about the f150 metaphor. But imo the DB is not a raptor norshould he cost that for us.

Oregon was willing to pay Raptor money for a Lariat.

X,

These kids have yet to learn that they have a finite value, which likely does not match what their friendly street agent tells them. Their dream school with the greatest exposure will not likely be the fattest paycheck. Remember how miserable the minority kids were in Highland Park? First player to have a house bought for his mother, stayed at SMU for 6-7 weeks. That day is coming again.

Sark has said on multiple occassions he will not bring in players who are strictly looking for NIL money.
They have to want to play for Texas and fit the culture.

This wasn't about money. Tx oferred him an opportunity to compete for a starting cb spot. Oregon offered him A starting cb spot.

Any coach that promises playing time or particularly "to start" is (1) a liar and (2) looking for another job

Last edited:
I heard a lot of chatter that we would get Jabaar because he wanted to play with his cousin Malik. Is there any risk they play together but not at Texas... at Oregon?? I think we'd be naive to think it hasn't been discussed among family.

I heard a lot of chatter that we would get Jabaar because he wanted to play with his cousin Malik. Is there any risk they play together but not at Texas... at Oregon?? I think we'd be naive to think it hasn't been discussed among family.
If that is a possibility, and I don't believe it is, the family has kept it exceptionally quiet.

They posted the family connection and how fun it would be to play together several times on social media. At the end of the day Jabbaar chose Oregon.
Malik will be a huge contributor here next season. He ain't going to Oregon or anywhere else unless the wheels fall off his situation here.
And in any event. This is Jabbar's final season.

Maybe he visited Austin in late July. If I boarded a plane in Seattle July 31 and walked out of the terminal at Bergstrom to 197*, I might think about working out in the bowels of Hell, turn around a buy a ticket to Eugene too.
He’s from Dallas. Not new to July.

Kenneth Grant is only going to be a junior this year. As good as he's been he's still not in his prime yet. That would be a great player to get.

Kenneth Grant is only going to be a junior this year. As good as he's been he's still not in his prime yet. That would be a great player to get.
I’m vehemently opposed to tampering…………..but then again, we could really use a stud DT. Plus, is it really tampering if the school with whom one is alleged to be tampering achieved their success nefariously?

(If a tree falls in the forest…)

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-GEORGIA *
Sat, Oct 19 • 6:30 PM on ABC

Back