2023-24 Transfer Portal Thread (CLosed-Opens APRIL 15TH)

I don't know if he can transfer again this season but TX State made it clear he wasn't welcome there. Student protest over his signing was scheduled.
Wow. I had no idea until I read his Wikipedia page. Any idea why he wasn’t protested at Arizona and Washington State? Why was he even allowed to play in those places?

Ok. I’m not necessarily opposed to that amount. Do you think he’s worth it? Would he make a big positive impact?
My gut feel — not knowing all of the numbers — is that the risk of disrupting the locker room and setting an unmanageable precedent would be too great to pay that much for this particular player.

Let me add that it’s difficult for me to fathom paying $5-7,500,000 “annually” for a roster, but apparently NIL has brought us to that. Texas is one of the few programs that can afford it, but I don’t have to like it.

My gut feel — not knowing all of the numbers — is that the risk of disrupting the locker room and setting an unmanageable precedent would be too great to pay that much for this particular player.

Let me add that it’s difficult for me to fathom paying $5-7,500,000 “annually” for a roster, but apparently NIL has brought us to that. Texas is one of the few programs that can afford it, but I don’t have to like it.
I wonder how the fact that Worthy was paid so much more affected the locker room, if at all.

I don't think he's a Worthy level guy. NIL (with actual businesses) is going to be based on popularity/influence. Save the extra $250k to give to a big gun.

The major programs need to gather together and meet on this subject as well as the portal at a neutral undisclosed location. Only outsider allowed will be Jackie Sherrill as guest speaker. I think they will be alarmed by what Jackie has to say; alarmed enough to force immediate major changes or to kick the NCAA out of major college sports. I'm reasonably sure Jackie would suggest having Barry also speak.

P5 schools are reversing the lessons taught A&M by following the Barry model. If they don't listen and act, kiss D-1 sports as we've known them good-bye not to mention losing 50%+ of your season ticket holders.

The major programs need to gather together and meet on this subject as well as the portal at a neutral undisclosed location. Only outsider allowed will be Jackie Sherrill as guest speaker. I think they will be alarmed by what Jackie has to say; alarmed enough to force immediate major changes or to kick the NCAA out of major college sports. I'm reasonably sure Jackie would suggest having Barry also speak.

P5 schools are reversing the lessons taught A&M by following the Barry model. If they don't listen and act, kiss D-1 sports as we've known them good-bye not to mention losing 50%+ of your season ticket holders.
Only way this happens if Texas wins the NC next year in impressive fashion, as in beating every team by 20 or more points.

I agree this may be one of or perhaps “the” only solution. If the blue blood programs banned together and set limits or thresholds, then NIL could be managed. I’m not a lawyer, but perhaps such “coordination“ would be considered a violation of antitrust laws. But, I suspect not, as college football is structured today.

If that doesn’t happen, I don’t see how – ultimately— the players are not unionized, and we move to a mini-NFL model. (At least in the NFL the playing field has been leveled.) I don’t want to see it, but with the current structure, the disparity between programs will create (is already creating) a handful of elites, and then everyone else. If, or perhaps “when,” that happens, college football as we know it will cease to exist. Few want to see that, but that train is picking up velocity.

NIL payouts must be capped, or (again) only about 20 teams will be relevant.

I agree this may be one of or perhaps “the” only solution. If the blue blood programs banned together and set limits or thresholds, then NIL could be managed.

Is NIL coming out of the schools' pockets? If not, then NIL helps the big blues. They might not like it, but it is to their advantage.

As long as the money funnels through NIL, then there's no dirty money. Helps the big blues.

Managing the transfer portal is the real issue I can see them banding together on. So much chaos.

It’s a right proper mess. And it all goes to show that college football is probably the most manipulated sport of all time. Name another sport that has always determined its championship by voting.

The NFL should be forced to have several levels on minor leagues..since they are allowed a monopoly. In the present system..universities are paying to train their players.

If they limit NIL then the bags return. CF is for entertainment purposes only. Represents little but the individual

What’s the latest with Muhammad? Seems like he was here a week ago. I know he was going to take a visit to Oregon but assume that’s already happened.

Seeing on social media that Jabbar Muhammad has committed to Oregon. If so, not a surprise. Probably a financial decision, given that he bypassed his connections to players at Texas.

Seeing on social media that Jabbar Muhammad has committed to Oregon. If so, not a surprise. Probably a financial decision, given that he bypassed his connections to players at Texas.
It feels weird that we can’t outcompete Oregon financially. I know the whole Knight/Nike thing but still. It’s disappointing especially at a position of apparent need.

Dunno - could be a cultural issue. He may simply feel more comfortable with Oregon than Texas.

My guess is that a bidding war didn’t make sense, given the existing, returning and incoming talent, and the likely disruption it could cause.

It's like buying anything else. You want a Ford Raptor, but not the $150 price. At $110-115, you'll pull the trigger, but at $150, you'll be happy with a King Ranch 4X4 for $75.

It's like buying anything else. You want a Ford Raptor, but not the $150 price. At $110-115, you'll pull the trigger, but at $150, you'll be happy with a King Ranch 4X4 for $75.
Do we have a King Ranch 4x4 in the garage? Because that’s not what I saw all season. What I saw was more like a Taurus or a Pinto. Maybe it’s the scheme or the way they’re coached but the corners in particular were noncompetitive most of the season.

That's my point. Are we paying Bentley prices for Malibu performance? Either way, just because Phil Knight is willing to pay Raptor price for a Lariat, doesn't mean we should.

After all, Phil Knight needs Texas a whole lot more than Texas needs Phil Knight.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-GEORGIA *
Sat, Oct 19 • 6:30 PM on ABC

Back