100 Day Countdown 2024

Well I am too clearly ready foractual football. I was thinking of the headline when Roosevelt and Horns played I think SMU.

This ^ is better. Carry on

Well I am too clearly ready foractual football. I was thinking of the headline when Roosevelt and Horns played I think SMU.

This ^ is better. Carry on

I remember the headline, believe it was vs SMU.... I'll extend you the honor of sharing it with the gang if you care to.

Last edited:
#45 RB Johnny Walker

1721222727538.png

1721222749742.png

Looks like Orr is going to lay a devastating block on that official!
What turned out to be winning TD versus Alabama in '82 Cotton Bowl. He came in as a projected superstar at either RB or LB. Turned out to be neither. Greatest success was as TE/H-Back with Redskins. Yeah that's right Redskins. Don't like it tell someone who gives a ****.

Ron Ehrig, Gonzales
1721338023241.png

Defensive back on the 1968 Conference and Cotton Bowl championship team.
1721338594610.png

Shown here behind Happy Feller

In 1984, we went to the Meadowlands to play State Penn. I asked Fred who he was starting at RBs. "Orr & Robinson". I'm expecting a track meet and Fred is starting two 4.8 guys? I'm sure I had a look on my face of "what the hell"; Fred's response, "You've never seen a team as slow as Penn State".

As I recall, both Orr & Robinson had long runs against their defense.

With apologies to Steve Campbell,

Jett Bush, Strake Jesuit
1721394584114.jpeg

Shown in action during the last Big 12 game in Austin. It was a good night at DKR, and Jett was the exclamation point (Tre Wisner supplied the loogie to the face of Sand Aggy three minutes later).

In 1984, we went to the Meadowlands to play State Penn. I asked Fred who he was starting at RBs. "Orr & Robinson". I'm expecting a track meet and Fred is starting two 4.8 guys? I'm sure I had a look on my face of "what the hell"; Fred's response, "You've never seen a team as slow as Penn State".

As I recall, both Orr & Robinson had long runs against their defense.

Horns crushed State Penn & Joe Pa that day 28-3.

Game was not that close!

Fred was right and it was EVIDENT early in that game that psu was slow as hell. I seem to recall that TE Lawrence Sampleton had a big day and a TD.

Last edited:

Game was not that close!

Fred was right and it was EVIDENT early in that game that psu was slow as hell. I seem to recall that Lawrence Sampleton had a big day and a TD.
Sampleton left after the ‘81 season.
William Harris had a ~85 yard TD reception.
We started the season like our hair was on fire but lost three straight at the end of the season. It was capped by an arse whipping at the hands of Chuck Long and Iowa. Other than the ‘91 Cotton Bowl fiasco, remains the worst bowl game performance in my memory.

Game was not that close!

Fred was right and it was EVIDENT early in that game that psu was slow as hell. I seem to recall that Lawrence Sampleton had a big day and a TD.
It was William Harris who had an 84 yd. TD reception from Dodge. He.had great, as in first round draft choice, potential but grades got him. I seem to recall he passed away very young quite a few years ago now.

Sampleton left after the ‘81 season.
William Harris had a ~85 yard TD reception.
We started the season like our hair was on fire but lost three straight at the end of the season. It was capped by an arse whipping at the hands of Chuck Long and Iowa. Other than the ‘91 Cotton Bowl fiasco, remains the worst bowl game performance in my memory.

I believe UT was ranked #1 or #2 coming into the 1984 RRR.

Don't forget that AWFUL gut wrenching 15-15 tie with ou! I was in the North Endzone with my Brother. I feared there would be a lightning strike that would kill some players or fans. After that tie, I don't think that team was the same the rest of the season.

Lest we forget, William Harris was the center on Everett Gay's intramural team that also featured Tony Jones as a point guard (he could dunk a basketball with either hand and was only about 5'5" and had Herkie Walls type speed). I think Braggs was on that team. They roared through the intramurals and won the University Championship.

There was then a request that Everett's team be allowed to play Kaiser Bob's Varsity, which the Kaiser promptly refused and forbid to happen. "Legend" is that the unsanctioned game took place in Gregory Gym and was a total embarrassment - like 40-50 point embarrassment.

That Freedom Bowl game remains the only bowl game that Texas ever participated in but did not sell tickets to or make tickets available to season ticket holders. The huge crowd would have fit into Reggie Grob Stadium. Weather was as miserable as the game.

Bobby Dillon, Temple
1721501607142.jpeg

All-SWC, All-American in 1951.
Team captain.
Eight year career with the Packers earning all-pro honors four times.
Pro Football Hall of Fame 2020.
Longhorn Hall of Honor 1972.
Played his entire career with a glass eye.

Last edited:
That Freedom Bowl game remains the only bowl game that Texas ever participated in but did not sell tickets to or make tickets available to season ticket holders. The huge crowd would have fit into Reggie Grob Stadium. Weather was as miserable as the game.

Bowl game was a disgusting end to a season that started out with promise. :facepalm:

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back