100 Day Countdown 2024

Wasn't there a back from Bridge City on that team?

There was Sophomore Fullback from Bridge City on that '68 team...I'm kinda fuzzy on his name at the moment.

That '68 team also had: James Street, Chris Gilbert and Ted Koy. In 1969 Jim Bertlesen replaced Gilbert who was a Sr. in '68.

Trivia question: what town and state was Bertlesen from?

Last edited:
There was Sophmore fullback from Bridge City...I'm kinda fuzzy on his name at the moment.

That '68 team also had: James Street, Chris Gilbert and Ted Koy. In 1969 Jim Bertlesen replaced Gilbert who was a Sr. in '68.

Trivia question: what town and state was Bertlesen from?
Hudson, Wisconsin. Or, ‘sconsin’ according to him. He road horses like a rodeo star, lasso a steer at full gallop. Few know this bit; he could juggle 4 oranges like a circus performer. He was intensely private but no man ever had a better friend if you were lucky enough.

#54 Mike Baab

1720447634777.png

Last edited:
I had the "pleasure" of seeing Worster destroy my hometown Conroe Tigers in the playoffs twice. He would have been a Jr./Sr in 65/66 and I was in 5th/6th grade. He must have had easily 230-280 yards in both games and a total of 8-10 TD's. Some of the happiest days of my life. How the world has changed. Not necessarily for the better.

That 68 team featured Chris Gilbert, the first back in NCAA history to gain over 1,000 yards, three seasons in a row. (Freshmen were not eligible for varsity back then). Chris destroyed TCU that year while a maid in Waco was doing her part to get inducted into The Longhorn Hall of Honor.

We tied the first game when Mike Simpson (only person to ever "own" Mule Frazier) fumbled a punt for Third Ward and later Rob Layne missed a game winning field goal as we tied Third Ward to open the season; then we laid an egg in Lubbock in the game that Frank Erwin made his infamous halftime visit to DKR in the locker room. We could tie Tech for the conference championship, but they had the tie breaker, whether two-way or three-way. I immediately said, Tech will lose their last game to Arkansas in Lubbock, but someone else has to beat them, and we have to win out. The following week, we started the 30-game win streak.

With only two games left (TCU & aTm for us & Baylor & Arkansas for Tech), we rolled into Amon Carter, and Chris ran wild, but nobody but the 11 players on the field was noticing. On the east side of Amon Carter, two students had transistor radios tuned in to Baylor/Tech at Floyd Casey. DKR got pissed because most of the players on the sideline had their backs to the field. A horrible Baylor team was running all over Tech. Later, I got the story from a Tech starter, later again confirmed by a Tech backup, that when Tech loaded the buses, a star defensive player was missing. They held the buses while coaches went to find him. Seems a young domestic at the hotel must have had questions about defensive football as he was found "teaching" about the various "zones" of her "playing field". He was benched, the team was demoralized, and Tech didn't show up at Floyd Casey. Several years later, I worked with the guy that started in his place, and he confirmed the story.

True or not, we benefitted, and I've always hoped that maid never had to work another day in her life.

Damn I love reading stories like that^.
Things I would never know otherwise.
Thanks Sabre. Keep 'em coming

cnb It is NEVER too late for Stonie.:hookem:

We tied the first game when Mike Simpson (only person to ever "own" Mule Frazier) fumbled a punt for Third Ward and later Rob Layne missed a game winning field goal as we tied Third Ward to open the season; then we laid an egg in Lubbock in the game that Frank Erwin made his infamous halftime visit to DKR in the locker room. We could tie Tech for the conference championship, but they had the tie breaker, whether two-way or three-way. I immediately said, Tech will lose their last game to Arkansas in Lubbock, but someone else has to beat them, and we have to win out. The following week, we started the 30-game win streak.

With only two games left (TCU & aTm for us & Baylor & Arkansas for Tech), we rolled into Amon Carter, and Chris ran wild, but nobody but the 11 players on the field was noticing. On the east side of Amon Carter, two students had transistor radios tuned in to Baylor/Tech at Floyd Casey. DKR got pissed because most of the players on the sideline had their backs to the field. A horrible Baylor team was running all over Tech. Later, I got the story from a Tech starter, later again confirmed by a Tech backup, that when Tech loaded the buses, a star defensive player was missing. They held the buses while coaches went to find him. Seems a young domestic at the hotel must have had questions about defensive football as he was found "teaching" about the various "zones" of her "playing field". He was benched, the team was demoralized, and Tech didn't show up at Floyd Casey. Several years later, I worked with the guy that started in his place, and he confirmed the story.

True or not, we benefitted, and I've always hoped that maid never had to work another day in her life.

Gosh, I had forgotten that Layne missed that FG that could have made it a win vs. that disgusting 20-20 tie with Third Ward!

Horns struggled next week at Lubbock and lost a semi-close one in the end. DKR said something like, hell, I got nothing to lose, and put James Street in at QB. Too many cobwebs, not sure if mid 3rd or early 4th......

Had to look up final score: Horns 22, tceh 31.

Question maybe Sabre remembers: weren't the Horns down something like 24-3 or 24-7 at Halftime of that 68 tceh game?

Last edited:

That's one hell of a story. Thanks @SabreHorn

Gosh, I had forgotten that Layne missed that FG that could have made it a win vs. that disgusting 20-20 tie with Third Ward!

Horns struggled next week at Lubbock and lost a semi-close one in the end. DKR said something like, hell, I got nothing to lose, and put James Street in at QB. Too many cobwebs, not sure if mid 3rd or early 4th......

Had to look up final score: Horns 22, tceh 31.

Question maybe Sabre remembers: weren't the Horns down something like 24-3 or 24-7 at Halftime of that 68 tceh game?
Yes. The wind was howling at 30+. Bradley punted with the wind about 70 yards. Classic ‘outpunted the coverage’. Tech ran one back for six and ran two back inside the 10YL.

I remember the 94 game and thought it was a really good play call running the reverse there. Stonie knew he just needed to put a big shoulder into that sooner and it was over.

Forrest Weigand, Edna
1720632679859.png

1720639155993.jpeg

Starting center on wishbone teams of 1968 & 69. Nearly a 30 year HS coaching career in LaPorte.
Hall of Honor 2017

Last edited:
Hugh Wolfe, Stephenville
1720715456401.png

1936, 37 All-SWC.
2nd team AA, 1937.
NFL Champ with the NY Football Giants 1938.
All Pro 1938.
Had a 95 yard kickoff return for a touchdown vs. Minnesota that stood as a team record (tied by many) that stood for 42 years until it was broken by Lam Jones in 1978.
Hall of Honor 1977.
First Longhorn player drafted by the NFL.

Recent Threads

Back