Trump!!!

Someone is trying to make the Chargers great again

CWcTDA9UYAAQ9pz.png

While being a political junkie, I am a "Johnny Come Lately" to this forum having just discovered it so, please excuse my possible lack of context. I am struck by the many excellent and very well researched and expressed perspectives.

Now to the subject...

To me, while his message appeals to many and obviously resonates, Trump is a fatally flawed messenger. He is an uncontrolled narcissist which is fine if you are running your own company, but it can be very dangerous when such an individual gains political power. In extreme cases, repeat -- in extreme cases, we have seen wars started and millions of people exterminated by leaders, with personality traits like Trump, who have the ability to tap into the worst fears of a populace.

For those of you who think that this analysis is off base, consider a strategy that the Democrats -- with the help of a complicit media -- have been employing for years. Class warfare. To some extent they have succeeded in turning many in this country against those who have worked very hard and who have succeeded. They play into the fears and the worst nature of many in the electorate. How does that strategy differ from the approach Trump is taking? I'm not sure that it does. Simply, he is appealing to a different demographic, but he is doing so by playing into people's fears.

What I am suggesting is that Trump's personality is flawed and that he is not suitable to be considered to lead this country. And HRC is, you ask? Of course not. She takes the issue of integrity and honesty to a new low. Like many of us, I am hoping that someone else, preferably Rubio and perhaps Christie, will emerge. (Cruz is off my radar screen based on his blatantly dishonest answer Tuesday night, when pressed by Rubio, during the immigration exchange.)

Like many of us, I have observed Trump for years. And I have heard of his antics from at least one individual with first hand knowledge of his negotiation tactics.

One very good measure of a man is how he treats those of a lower social rank that can do nothing for him. By this measure, Trump fails miserably. His recent criticism of a disabled journalist -- clearly making fun of his disability -- should disturb any objective observer.

A second measure of a man has to do with the people he has chosen to surround him. Take a close look, as I have. More than a few in his entourage look like thugs. They remind me of characters in the Tom Cruise movie The Firm.

I have friends and customers that are "all in" for Trump. They discount the ubiquitous warning signs because they like his message and his justifiable attacks on the media. (So do I, by the way.) They need to look deeper into the man. When they do, I am hopeful that they will come to the conclusion that this messenger is severely flawed.

Last edited:
I personally think the "demagogue" accusation has been used too cavalierly with Trump. That was until I saw the interview with George Stephanopolous (This Week) on Sunday. During his rambling responses which included a defense of Putin and a claim that the "US kills people too" it's clear that's exactly what he is. His confidence is growing and with it his outlandish and false claims. I only hope that at some point his supporters wake up and realize they are following a false prophet...err politician. If not, they are effectively handing the Whitehouse to Hillary Clinton which even a significant portion of Democrats don't want.

I only hope that at some point his supporters wake up and realize they are following a false prophet...err politician. If not, they are effectively handing the Whitehouse to Hillary Clinton which even a significant portion of Democrats don't want.

I'd like to think they'll come to that realization, but I'm holding out less and less hope for that. I have a good friend who's a Trump supporter. He's not stupid. He's well-educated, and he has been politically active for almost 30 years. You'd think he'd see Trump for the horrific candidate that he is. Instead, he's totally on board AND thinks Trump will destroy Hillary Clinton - a repeat of the 1980 election.

I've asked him his rationale, and here's what he thinks. He thinks the white Reagan Democrats will run to Trump because of his populism. He also says that the polling data confirms that Trump actually has higher black and Hispanic support than Romney had. Of course, he also thinks HRC is a terrible candidates.

Though I agree that HRC is a poor candidate who's very beatable, there are huge fallacies in his logic. First, I think he overestimates how many Reagan Democrats still exist. I'm sure some still do, but I think the vast majority of voters who fit that profile are already in the GOP. Second, the few who do exist and who might vote for Trump have to be balanced against the white voters who voted for Romney but will not be able to stomach voting for Trump, even if they won't vote for HRC either. Third, I haven't seen any polls that put Trump's black and Hispanic support above Romney's, but I'll assume they're real. One also has to consider turnout. Suppose instead of getting 27 percent of the Hispanic vote, Trump gets 30 percent. One also has to keep in mind that Trump motivates Hispanics to turnout AGAINST him, because they perceive themselves as being in his cross-hairs. I'd rather get 27 percent of a voting block that doesn't vote than 30 percent of a voting block that votes in huge numbers.

I've explained these factors to him, and he pretty much dismisses them without explanation. Trump truly has these folks duped and has convinced them to shutoff their brains.

For subscribers only. It looks like a good article too. :(

I'm not a subscriber, but I linked to it from a friend's Facebook page, which let me view it. Unfortunately, it won't let me view it again. You'd definitely like it. It should be put in the "Validate Seattle Husker and Larry T. Spider" file, which means it's quite interesting and spot on.

I only watch the political debates for the hilarity factor. Trump and company are like a bunch of 6th graders comparing their schwantz stueke behind the bushes after school lets out.

The fact that he is leading the GOP tells me all I need to know about that group of idiots. I kinda want him to be pres just so I can see what kind of cluster **** it ends up being. Dont matter what I think since I live in TX with all the GOP idiots here, not that our current pres is any good but dam guys really Trump? smfh

I'm not a subscriber, but I linked to it from a friend's Facebook page, which let me view it. Unfortunately, it won't let me view it again. You'd definitely like it. It should be put in the "Validate Seattle Husker and Larry T. Spider" file, which means it's quite interesting and spot on.

Went to google and put the headline in and accessed it without problem from that link. You're right, it very succinctly describes my view of the current Republican party. It's a self immolating ideological political organization trying to find any leader that's willing to espouse it's views even if they have no hope of ever winning an election, or even are genuine believers. I've little doubt the Clean and Sangre's of the Republican party are genuine believers. It's the support people like them are throwing behind Trump/Cruz which smacks of transposing what you want your politician to be than what the real candidate's track record suggests that is sad. Here was the prescient part of the opinion piece for me. Clearly, while the far right feels they are "saving" the party they are feeding the Left's strategy.

Deep down, though, we know the political math doesn’t add up for us. We just don’t care. Because we’ve turned even the appearance of moderation, or the amenability to compromise, into a four-letter word. Oh, did we mention House Speaker Paul Ryan is another sell-out?

Years ago, the late columnist Michael Kelly wrote of American liberalism that it was “an ideology of self-styled saints, a philosophy of determined perversity. Its animating impulse is to marginalize itself and then enjoy its own company. And to make itself as unattractive to as many people as possible: If it were a person, it would pierce its tongue.”

On current trend, this will soon better describe American conservatism, which is going the way of the Democratic Party circa 1972. So let’s skip the non-suspense of next year’s campaign cycle, gird ourselves for a McGovern-style debacle, and elect Hillary Rodham Clinton now.

Trump has certainly maximized his media exposure. Bill Kristol had an interesting exchange with John Karl in This Week with George S. this last Sunday. Karl was marveling at how thin Trump's operation was noting that when you go to his campaign HQ it's essentially just a single PR person and an admin. "That's it" he said. Bill Kristol said "Trump shows you what he wants you to see. He actually has several floors of Trump Tower dedicated to his campaign."

I thought this was kind of amusing
Trump was on the Today Show.
NBC Newsperson Savannah Guthrie brought up Monica Lewinsky and called it an "alleged extra-marital affair."

LOL

“Is it alleged? I don’t think that’s alleged,” Trump responded.
“No, he’s admitted it, he’s admitted it,” said Guthrie.
“If he’s admitted it, you don’t have to use the word alleged,” said Trump.
“Right, exactly,” Guthrie.

So I guess one of Trump's spokepersons was on CNN, and people subsequently complained on twitter about her necklace (which appears to be made of bullets?)

So I guess one of Trump's spokepersons was on CNN, and people subsequently complained on twitter about her necklace (which appears to be made of bullets?)

Yep, must be associated with the Trump campaign with that response. The Trump campaign is clearly in a race to the gutter.

I had no idea who she was so I googled her. This was one of the first links: http://www.texasobserver.org/katrina-pierson-bubble-bursts/

A Tea Party evangelist sucking off the government teet? This has to be rare.

A bigger deal: On Sunday night, the Quorum Report’s Scott Braddock pointed out that Pierson received some $11,000 in unemployment benefits from the Texas Workforce Commission from January 2012 to November 2013—meaning she was receiving government support during a period in which she consulted for Ted Cruz’s senate campaign and was planning for her own run.

The first ad will feature a narrator's voice channeling the candidate's campaign promises, including one to temporarily halt the immigration of Muslims into the U.S., and a pledge to "quickly cut the head off ISIS and take their oil."

From a CNN story on Trump's first TV campaign adds. Anyone that supports Trump can only be characterized as a simpleton.

BTW- Al-Shabab is now using Trump's anti-Muslim rhetoric in a recruiting video.

Man, you guys are way off on the appeal of Trump. If you think the GOP wants him, you are off your meds. The Dem-boot-licking GOP is the reason Trump is so popular.

When you say anyone who falls for his rhetoric is a simpleton, you are giving away the very reason he is popular. To tell people that shutting down Muslim immigration to US temporarily is anti-American and "not that simple" is why people are running to Trump, because, frankly, it IS that simple. This is the same logic that says, "building a wall between US and Mexico is 'not that simple'." Well, perhaps it's not a *complete* solution, but it beats the socks off of doing nothing, which is what we are doing now.

Donald Trump is saying stuff that the average Joe on the street knows to be true, but nobody else will say. This is why he is popular. The establishment GOP built Donald Trump's presidential run by being afraid to say the common-sense stuff that he says every day.

Man, you guys are way off on the appeal of Trump. If you think the GOP wants him, you are off your meds. The Dem-boot-licking GOP is the reason Trump is so popular.

When you say anyone who falls for his rhetoric is a simpleton, you are giving away the very reason he is popular. To tell people that shutting down Muslim immigration to US temporarily is anti-American and "not that simple" is why people are running to Trump, because, frankly, it IS that simple. This is the same logic that says, "building a wall between US and Mexico is 'not that simple'." Well, perhaps it's not a *complete* solution, but it beats the socks off of doing nothing, which is what we are doing now.

Donald Trump is saying stuff that the average Joe on the street knows to be true, but nobody else will say. This is why he is popular. The establishment GOP built Donald Trump's presidential run by being afraid to say the common-sense stuff that he says every day.

Simpleton #1?

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Back