Texas-Nebraska Vball Natty 2023

Someone mentioned the NCAA regulating the portal and NIL in the future! Guys this is not going to happen! If anyone watched the press conference with Adia Barnes, Arizona's wbb coach, after the horns had beaten them last week, she discussed this in some depth. She basically said the NCAA does not like lawsuits and will not fight the them. In the article attached on December 8th 2023, a group of states alleges the NCAA’s transfer rule for college athletes violates antitrust law. She stated that the transfer portal probably starting next year will be "total free agency!" She went on to say the dam has burst and there is no way to stop it! She felt like the kids would suffer. The example she gave was that a kid who goes to say 3 different schools in 3 years will suffer academically. NIL is already out of control but the the portal will be an annual feeding frenzy. Some coaches will live by the portal and some will try growing with their recruits. As the Nebraska coach falsely said! The future challenge is either Adapt or die.
NCAA's longstanding practice of making transfers sit out a year challenged on antimonopoly grounds by 7 states

I’m really not sure you folks giving him the benefit of the doubt know just how much Nebraska dislikes the Texas volleyball program. These two coaches have been recruiting and competing against each other for over 20 years and the Nebraska fan base hates all things Texas
Of this I am VERY aware. And given that backdrop, I believe whatever level of restraint shown was even more admirable.

The example she gave was that a kid who goes to say 3 different schools in 3 years will suffer academically.
Let's continue to pretend that academics are vital to these student athletes
Of course it is to some of them, but they are big kids now and if their athletic ambitions impact their grades, well, that's a price you pay

Never a big fan of Sergio Garcia, but he was front and center at the match. Also boldly singing the Eyes that I could see when one of the Texas players was being interviewed.

Never a big fan of Sergio Garcia, but he was front and center at the match. Also boldly singing the Eyes that I could see when one of the Texas players was being interviewed.
Sergio Garcia is not a UT alum but is married to Angela Akins Garcia who is the daughter of Marty Akins who was the Texas QB who played from 72-76. I had not seen her before in the stands at the volleyball games but she was very prominent after the Championship win hugging all over the girls. They had great seats too so I assume they are Big supporters ($$$) of the program. It irritated me she was not wearing burnt orange or a Texas logo??

Sergio Garcia is not a UT alum but is married to Angela Akins Garcia who is the daughter of Marty Akins who was the Texas QB who played from 72-76. I had not seen her before in the stands at the volleyball games but she was very prominent after the Championship win hugging all over the girls. They had great seats too so I assume they are Big supporters ($$$) of the program. It irritated me she was not wearing burnt orange or a Texas logo??
Yep, I knew he was married to someone with Longhorn roots but forgot about the da until I looked it up earlier.

Go back to the broadcast. We're down like 10-7 or so in the 2nd set, heading to a time out and the cameras pan to a couple of young Corn people who decide to do the Horns down rather than cheering their own team. I thought to myself they may learn how bitchy karma can be.

We went on an 11 point run immediately afterwards. Karma indeed.

We dominated going 45-13 for remainder of the match....

Indeed we did.

Apparently their volleyball squad has the same mental block when playing against teams who wear burnt orange as their little football team does.

Dabo Swinney says hello......he hates the portal and NIL too.

Keiolani Akana transferred to Texas from Nebraska … thinking that she would prefer to be a two-time national champion at Texas than a developing player at Nebraska. Her brother is on the Texas football team, too.
:hookem:

With all said and done, I was most impressed with Tennessee.

And we’ll play them next year in the SEC. They’re good, certainly could beat us, and will be thrilled that they Beat! Texas! Like at a lot of schools, a win over Texas will be what they talk about to their grandkids, while our players have fond memories of national championships! (It’s all cyclical, I know, but happy to gloat today.)

And we’ll play them next year in the SEC. They’re good, certainly could beat us, and will be thrilled that they Beat! Texas! Like at a lot of schools, a win over Texas will be what they talk about to their grandkids, while our players have fond memories of national championships! (It’s all cyclical, I know, but happy to gloat today.)

Our 2 roughest matches were against future conferance mates. The gags and the other UT.

Let's continue to pretend that academics are vital to these student athletes
Of course it is to some of them, but they are big kids now and if their athletic ambitions impact their grades, well, that's a price you pay

Of course it’s about money. NIL, plus more opportunities for women to get product endorsements are available. If your kid earns $$ for being a pretty good player in any sport, why not take advantage of it? I hope there is enough of an old school mindset that kids really want to play for the school they attend, that they have a life long personal attachment to the time they spent there. We still see that attitude with the majority of athletes, I think/hope. (Sam Ehlinger, Ella Swindell) It will be interesting to see over the next 10 years how many transfers got a degree, returned to school to finish a degree, or made enough money as a student/pro to have no reason to get a degree. You know someone somewhere is compiling the data!

My Christmas gift to ‘corn’

We’re number 1
We can’t be number 2
‘Cause we just beat
The Whoopi out of you
Whoopie Whoopie Whoopie!!

maybe I should’ve saved that for aggy!
Sergio knows what’s best for him seeing how he married into a Longhorn family.
I’m sure Marty Akins made sure that was in the prenup!!
We’ll give Drew Brees a pass.

That's super cool that there were so many viewers
Nice to see womens’ volleyball getting more attention too, it's a fun game to watch with this level of athletes, they are so talented and bad ***
Nebraska could play a little too but they were mostly there because the rules require a recipient of the beatdown

I think I enjoy watching womens volleyball more than mens, where it seems like they might literally take someones head off.

There are very few large school men's volleyball programs. Once you leave the schools on the west coast and western states, you basically have Ohio State and Penn State. The rest of the schools in the rankings are much smaller schools throughout the country. They aren't going to get much press. But the speed of the men's game is significantly faster. As you can imagine, they are taller and jump higher. It's very common to have multiple people in the back row hitting whereas with women, you might be lucky to find one player that is good enough to do that consistently. And yes, it really looks like the ball is moving fast enough to take your head off if you're in the wrong place.

Just recently there was a dude playing on a female vball team who did severely injure a female player. Female players are afraid to complain.

I can't imagine Coach Elliott letting a dude on the Horns team

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back