Random Season News

The cyclones at night is clearly the powers that be looking for a near freezing temperature game, they would be ecstatic if there were a snow storm as well. The other two, Tech at home great. TCU shouldn't matter. It's not like its the shoe at night or anything.

With practice and meeting time limited, I can see that, but also remember that those reps are against the non-1s and 2s. Not saying that is the way to develop, but each HC has their own method.

Interesting re the DBs. If he’s right why would an experienced and smart DC use his athletes this way? Maybe he doesn’t trust them in a more aggressive scheme?
Good question. I asked myself that many times in the Houston, ou, and ksu games.
He’s seen the failure of his scheme repeatedly since he’s faced above average QB’’s and receivers in the big 12.
Could it be Hubris? Not wanting to believe that his scheme that he coached his entire career out west doesn’t cut it against passing attacks in this conference.
I don’t know. But the failure of his approach to stop our opponents in late game obvious passing situations is right front of him. The failure is not because of the athletes. We have excellent athletic players. He is actually playing a soft coverage that is more suited to teams that don’t have enough athletic players on defense to match up with athletic opponents.
His choice of defensive scheme in these situations is baffling.

Last edited:
Interesting re the DBs. If he’s right why would an experienced and smart DC use his athletes this way? Maybe he doesn’t trust them in a more aggressive scheme?

It's hard to always tell because of the camera angles, but it appears to me that we run a more aggressive man to man and bump and run coverage early in games which results in active and shut down defense. We get a lead and Pk "apparently" doesn't want to give up any big plays over the top, so he goes to a soft (and I mean really soft) zone coverage which takes away the aggressiveness of the defense and allows the other team to move down the field in 8–15-yard chunks of yardage and possibly more if the defense misses a tackle. It also negates a pass rush because the qb knows he will have an easy immediate throw. Then Pk doubles down on this approach as the other team mounts a comeback. It really doesn't work when your safeties and linebackers are not good at zone coverage which to my lying eyes they don't appear to be.

So Drake Stoops spends ten hours a day on football - when does he have time to go to classes? I guess going to class is not required of football players at Zero U.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back