Random Season News

LC,

Deion is right. It is the "granddaddy" of em all, and granddaddy hasn't spent a dime on improvements, management, quality of employees, and certainly not refreshments (who the hell runs out of hot dogs before the end of the first quarter of the National Championship game). Prime is nicer than I would be, because I would drop a hint that it was probably Rose Bowl employees that did it, if not management. Still the worst sports venue I've ever been to.

“We already know a few things. We are not going to spend the same amount of money on athletics that we have for the last decade. We will still be competitive, but it’ll be different than when we had the smallest athletic budget in a Power Five conference.

But I want to remind Coug fans that we’ll still have Division I athletics. We’ll still compete for championships and have football Saturdays. We’ll still show up every day on the court and in the classroom. The opponents will be different, and even if we don’t know the future of the Apple Cup, the resolute Cougar spirit hopefully will only grow stronger.”

Rag-tag conference schedule. Four protected rivalries: Arizona-Arizona State, BYU-Utah, Baylor-TCU, Kansas-Kansas State.
IMG_1504.jpeg

For decades TCU kept Tech out of the SWC. I think it was early 60s before Tech was allowed in because TCU pretty much owned West Texas recruiting. There is still great animosity amongst the old Alums.

Baylor? Do they have a "rival"?

For decades TCU kept Tech out of the SWC. I think it was early 60s before Tech was allowed in because TCU pretty much owned West Texas recruiting. There is still great animosity amongst the old Alums.

To my memory, and I spent most of my childhood in wacko, the only thing bailer hung on to was “the miracle on the brazos” game and their jealousy over Texas and atm. They Never had a real rival like the state universities did.

Raised in Fort Worth I remember a few salty players that Abe Martin recruited.
Bob Lilly; Headrick (linebacker I think), Ross Montgomery, Norm Bulach, Sonny Gibbs all were showered with accolades coming out of high school.
Lilly, Headrick, Bulach lived up to the hype. Not sure I would say the others did. No doubt ttu cut into tcu’s success in West Texas recruiting.
Montgomery was big and a really fast RB. I think he suffered a knee injury that cut short his success.

Last edited:
LC,

Deion is right. It is the "granddaddy" of em all, and granddaddy hasn't spent a dime on improvements, management, quality of employees, and certainly not refreshments (who the hell runs out of hot dogs before the end of the first quarter of the National Championship game). Prime is nicer than I would be, because I would drop a hint that it was probably Rose Bowl employees that did it, if not management. Still the worst sports venue I've ever been to.

sabre

you are exactly right, it is a terrible sports venue. I was there for Michigan, usc, and Alabama. Parking is horrific. Trying to get to and from concessions back to your seat is like single file. I had friends that paid 1600 a seat and they were counterfeit for usc game. All they did was give the ticket collectors $100 a piece and they were in. Lots of people sitting in the isles. Your comment about employees may be spot on.

Cary,

Both Ross & Norm ran a 9.8 hundred. They also grabbed Busty Underwood as a QB. Busty became a very successful business man in Dallas (insurance IIRC), bought a vacant lot in Preston Hollow, had a solid glass bedroom, and threw some great parties for Texas/OU, including one in 1977 that he hired Johnny Dee & the Rocket 88s to play in his back yard. Most highly rated TCU recruit was Gene Maye out of Garland in 1965 with Montgomery & Bulaich.

Last edited:

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back