Other WBB games and news 2023-2024

That Tenn v South Carolina game in the SEC tourney was pretty crazy. To come back from a 23 point deficit against the #1 team in the nation and lose by 1…heartbreaking especially for the kid who missed two free throws in the final minute. But it showed two things - USC is beatable and Tenn could have an extraordinary team if they could put together a full 40 minutes. Hope we don’t meet either before getting to the Final Four.

I still don't thing we have enough elite (Top 10) wins to warrant a #1 seed, but if we win out, and the committee thinks we do, then I'll be thrilled. We need Stanford to beat the USC Trojans today. South Carolina and Stanford have locked up #1 seeds; Iowa might have, as well. If the Trojans beat Stanford again, they could grab that last #1 seed.

I still don't thing we have enough elite (Top 10) wins to warrant a #1 seed, but if we win out, and the committee thinks we do, then I'll be thrilled. We need Stanford to beat the USC Trojans today. South Carolina and Stanford have locked up #1 seeds; Iowa might have, as well. If the Trojans beat Stanford again, they could grab that last #1 seed.
I agree but Stanford lost to USC so....

Is it that much of an advantage to be a #1 seed over a #2? I think it would better for us psychologically to not be a #1 seed --- too much pressure, expectations too great. Doesn't really matter much in the long run, I guess.

Is it that much of an advantage to be a #1 seed over a #2? I think it would better for us psychologically to not be a #1 seed --- too much pressure, expectations too great. Doesn't really matter much in the long run, I guess.
It's tough to know for sure. In the first 2 rounds, it shouldn't be such an advantage one way or the other. But, come the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 rounds, the opponents are supposed to be "easier" for a #1 seed than a #2 seed. And, oftentimes when it comes to TV, the #1 seeds get the better timeslots than the #2 seeds which provide a handful of extra hours of rest should they advance to the next round.

At first, I thought it was the coach that had Kentucky on the upswing and picking up all these high end recruits and transfers. But now I remember, Matthew Mitchell retired from coaching altogether (at a young age) and his assistant got promoted, and now fired.

At first, I thought it was the coach that had Kentucky on the upswing and picking up all these high end recruits and transfers. But now I remember, Matthew Mitchell retired from coaching altogether (at a young age) and his assistant got promoted, and now fired.

Winning the SEC tournament a couple of years ago bought her a lot of buzz but then she lost her 2 best players (Rhyne Howard to the WNBA and Dre'una Edwards transferred to Baylor) and she hasn't been able to recruit well enough to compete. Since the 2022 class, she's only signed 2 players from ESPN's Top 100 (both 2022s):
  • #69 Tionna "Tree" Herron
  • #94 Amiya Jenkins
She did bring in transfers from LSU, Tennessee and South Carolina but leaning on the Portal entirely isn't a recipe for long term success.

It appears that we are going to be a #2 seed. I hope we get in the region with either Stanford or Iowa. Stanford looked surprisingly terrible against USC in the Pac-12 final. Or it would be fun to get Iowa and take on the great one (if we and they get that far.).

One of those....WTH?! Until 2012!

True story: former UTA coach Snake LeGrand used to call facilities and ask them to lock the doors when recruits were visiting, then he’d pretend like they couldn’t get in, so they wouldn’t see that they were literally going to be playing on “The Stage.”

I played on that stage in high school band competitions. I don’t know why but this made me think about Vanderbilt’s multipurpose Memorial Gymnasium. Not looking forward to games there but Vic already knows the ropes there at least. It’s a very odd setup.

UTA's current arena is pretty bland, seen a few Dallas Wings game there, but bland is still a step up from TCU's eyesore.

Some guy on YouTube made a video of his top ten Big 12 bb arenas. Moody Center was # 4 I believe. He liked the exterior but didn’t like the interior design and the advertising that circled the upper deck. Baylor’s Foster Center was # 2 even though the camera placements were horrible and KU was # 1. OU’s was ranked last - “damp, dark, depressing”.

Gosh, two losing seasons and two mediocre seasons. She's never been close to getting an invitation. Perhaps she's delusional??? She should have just ambled off into the night.
Didn’t even get an upset of Texas that she’s been banging the drum about the past 2 seasons.

The new tournament run by the NCAA, the WBIT. Some teams and fans that are probably stung a bit by missing the big one: Mississippi State, TCU, Arkansas. Feel bad for Kamie, they lost their best player like the Longhorns did but did not have the depth of Texas or a freshman phenom to step up.

The new tournament run by the NCAA, the WBIT. Some teams and fans that are probably stung a bit by missing the big one: Mississippi State, TCU, Arkansas. Feel bad for Kamie, they lost their best player like the Longhorns did but did not have the depth of Texas or a freshman phenom to step up.

Looks like Miami was so disappointed they said no to WBIT.

Went to the Tech game last year in Lubbock. The one we lost. :facepalm: Was leaving the arena and about to congratulate a Tech fan on their win when he threw the Horns Down gesture in my face. Also remember Gerlich suggesting Vic was sexist and not shaking hands at end of game the season before. F*** Tech.
:bevo:

Translation: I haven't been fired yet.

Have a tiny bit of sympathy for TT team and coach because of their history and contributions to the women's game by Marsha Sharp. But it's no longer possible to be a competitive program with a team of players mostly from west Texas high schools. Glad we won't see them again for the foreseeable future.

:hookem:

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-GEORGIA *
Sat, Oct 19 • 6:30 PM on ABC

Recent Threads

Back