Other WBB games and news 2023-2024

Her attire continues to demonstrate that she always wants it to be about her. Now she gets to wear it in a humiliating loss.

USC’s sensational freshman JuJu Watkins had 32 points and 6 assists in her college debut. Celeste Taylor played 35 minutes (just behind Jacy Sheldon’s 37) with 7 points and fouled out. I’m guessing she spent some time guarding Juju. I’m sure that’s not the last we’ll hear about Ohio St this season however.

South Carolina’s Freshman Milaysia Fulwiley came off the bench and scored 17 spectacular points. She made a coast to coast, behind the back, up and under basket that I knew would generate some talk, but I didn’t expect the likes of Magic Johnson and & Kevin Durant would tweet about it in real time. Magic said it was the best move in all of basketball and listed a string of NBA greats included. Kudos to Magic & KD for their support of WBB.

The Gamecocks looked really good after losing all 5 starters from last season making a good Notre Dame team look not so good still without Olivia Miles. ND’s Freshman starter Hannah Hildalgo had 32 points and played 37 minutes and cool as a cucumber doing it in her first collegiate game.

Too bad about the Bayou Barbie’s. Coach’s outfit definitely did not transcend the loss :lmao::facepalm: :yikes:

USC’s sensational freshman JuJu Watkins had 32 points and 6 assists in her college debut. Celeste Taylor played 35 minutes (just behind Jacy Sheldon’s 37) with 7 points and fouled out. I’m guessing she spent some time guarding Juju. I’m sure that’s not the last we’ll hear about Ohio St this season however.

South Carolina’s Freshman Milaysia Fulwiley came off the bench and scored 17 spectacular points. She made a coast to coast, behind the back, up and under basket that I knew would generate some talk, but I didn’t expect the likes of Magic Johnson and & Kevin Durant would tweet about it in real time. Magic said it was the best move in all of basketball and listed a string of NBA greats included. Kudos to Magic & KD for their support of WBB.

The Gamecocks looked really good after losing all 5 starters from last season making a good Notre Dame team look not so good still without Olivia Miles. ND’s Freshman starter Hannah Hildalgo had 32 points and played 37 minutes and cool as a cucumber doing it in her first collegiate game.

Too bad about the Bayou Barbie’s. Coach’s outfit definitely did not transcend the loss :lmao::facepalm: :yikes:
Speaking of Bayou Barbie, where was her crown yesterday?
Fortunately for me, Mondays are my off days so I was able to catch all the sensational freshman in action. There are definitely some good ones this year including our own Madison Booker.
I agree, South Carolina looks really good. In some ways they look better than last year IMO... quicker and better shooters.
Not all that surprised myself to see comments from KD and Magic. They are both supporters of the women's game. In fact, Magic always has been. Speaking of South Carolina and Magic... once upon a time in the early '80s SC had a really good team and Magic's sister Evelyn played there.
Anyway, yesterday was really good way to start the season. It's nice to see those type of tipoff matchups again. Hopefully in the coming years we will get involved.

Seeing the results I was again, surprised to remember that our dear Celeste Taylor now plays for Ohio State (again, why did you leave Duke?).

But when I watched about a quarter of the LSU game, I remembered, "Oh yeah, Van Lith transferred there. Grrrrrr." And she's the exact type of PG that Mulkey likes to use. Like a buzzing bee. But then I thought, "Hmmm, that's the type of guard Vic likes as well".

All those commercials and NIL has gotten to their head and it shows ESPECIALLY with Reese. Granted it’s the first game of the season but she in no way looked like she has been working over the summer. She had a double double but looked pretty bad compared to what I’m used to seeing out of her.

All those commercials and NIL has gotten to their head and it shows ESPECIALLY with Reese. Granted it’s the first game of the season but she in no way looked like she has been working over the summer. She had a double double but looked pretty bad compared to what I’m used to seeing out of her.
I didn't watch, but I believe you. It is pretty easy to get a little fat and happy when you get all the media schmoozing they got after last year.

However, one thing I know as truth about Kim Mulkey. And this truth is even more pure than the truths that she dresses ugly and is a horrible human being. That truth is this simple: she hates to lose. And I have no doubt she is going to make that team's life a living hell until she gets the winning results she expects.

I didn't watch, but I believe you. It is pretty easy to get a little fat and happy when you get all the media schmoozing they got after last year.

However, one thing I know as truth about Kim Mulkey. And this truth is even more pure than the truths that she dresses ugly and is a horrible human being. That truth is this simple: she hates to lose. And I have no doubt she is going to make that team's life a living hell until she gets the winning results she expects.
The big question that remains for me about LSU:
When Kim does make the necessary changes to her lineups/rotations/minutes... and we all know she will... how is that going to affect their team chemistry? You bring people in on recruiting visits and promise them fame and fortune -- even to the extent of dumping play money all over their hotel room to suggest lucrative NIL deals -- only to find out that they can't hang with your style of play and have to settle for being a role player, and that others already on the roster are far more suited for the playing time.

When Kim does make the necessary changes to her lineups/rotations/minutes... and we all know she will... how is that going to affect their team chemistry? You bring people in on recruiting visits and promise them fame and fortune -- even to the extent of dumping play money all over their hotel room to suggest lucrative NIL deals -- only to find out that they can't hang with your style of play and have to settle for being a role player, and that others already on the roster are far more suited for the playing time.
Yep. It's a thorny problem. But I am sure, whatever rotation she chooses, that Kim will be extremely empathetic, kind, and gracious about breaking it to the bench warmers.

Kimmy's had this happen a couple times at Baylor, so this is no big deal (to her)

Swiped Alisa Williams from TCU, who started 3 games at LSU as a freshman and transferred out after last year. Overrecruited.

Hannah Gusters followed Mulkey from Baylor to LSU, then had enough of her and has landed at OK-State. I think that since she's a second time transfer she has to sit out this year.

Kim's onto the next player that can help her win a championship.

As I was watching the FSU game I didn’t quite hear exactly what the announcer said, but they were referring to this being the first time EVER (?) that Tennessee doesn’t have a freshman on their roster. As the new era of college basketball plays out, we’re starting to see patterns of how coaches are trying to adapt. Some rely heavily on the portal and some are not. Mulkey is a good coach and had success initially, but it could start to backfire and blow up in her face. By then, recruits & their parents might be a little leery about signing on.

Vic is recruiting players and telling them (and their parents) he’s not going to recruit over them via the portal. He wants to develop players and fit them into his system. And he wants his program to become known for that and being loyal to those players that buy in the minute they step on campus. Not a bad reputation to have if it’s successful in the W/L column and I don’t see anything but it helping to recruit the best players out of high school. He’s playing a bit of the long game and I know it’s hard for some fans to accept, but it can pay off for a long time if it works.

We have seen some instant success through the portal but I think that’s not what he (and a lot of successful coaches) are planning to do. Now that the Covid cycle is about to run it’s course let’s see how things shake out. I think the timing of his hire at Texas was hampered by Covid and the new portal rules along with NIL. I’ll always believe that there would have been a much better chance that Celeste Taylor would have stayed if the team would have been able to bond with each other and the coaching staff during Covid, but no way to prove it obviously.

And kudos to FSU for pulling out that one point win over the Lady Vols. That was a big win for them

Last edited:
As I was watching the FSU game I didn’t quite hear exactly what the announcer said, but they were referring to this being the first time EVER (?) that Tennessee doesn’t have a freshman on their roster. As the new era of college basketball plays out, we’re starting to see patterns of how coaches are trying to adapt. Some rely heavily on the portal and some are not. Mulkey is a good coach and had success initially, but it could start to backfire and blow up in her face. By then, recruits & their parents might be a little leery about signing on.

Vic is recruiting players and telling them (and their parents) he’s not going to recruit over them via the portal. He wants to develop players and fit them into his system. And he wants his program to become known for that and being loyal to those players that buy in the minute they step on campus. Not a bad reputation to have if it’s successful in the W/L column and I don’t see anything but it helping to recruit the best players out of high school. He’s playing a bit of the long game and I know it’s hard for some fans to accept, but it can pay off for a long time if it works.

We have seen some instant success through the portal but I think that’s not what he (and a lot of successful coaches) are planning to do. Now that the Covid cycle is about to run it’s course let’s see how things shake out. I think the timing of his hire at Texas was hampered by Covid and the new portal rules along with NIL. I’ll always believe that there would have been a much better chance that Celeste Taylor would have stayed if the team would have been able to bond with each other and the coaching staff during Covid, but no way to prove it obviously.

And kudos to FSU for pulling out that one point win over the Lady Vols. That was a big win for them
Agree on all points. I feel That Vic is building a program at Texas that is based on the integrity of him and his staff. If I were a betting person, I'd say that he tells recruits and their families the truth up front. You're right.. that's definitely not a bad reputation to have.

Yeah, Celeste certainly would have been that defensive guard that Vic covets. I also can't help to think how much better we would have been had Charli stayed around. It also would have played out way better for her. She possibly could have left the university as the all-time leading scorer and rebounder, and been far more prepared for the next level. Oh well, if "if" were a fifth we'd all be drunk. LOL

I am very encouraged about the direction of our program under Vic, and I can wait for it. His approach builds a more solid foundation. There will still be players that come and go, and we've got to learn to accept that. But those who buy in and stick with it will be developed to their full potential. His track record shows that.

Last edited:
Looking at Vic's "imports" during his time here:

2020:
Kyra Lambert, grad transfer - Duke

2021:
Anissa Gutierrez, junior JC transfer Hendrix College
Kobe King-Hawea, sophmore JC transfer Casper College, finished at James Madison
Femme Masudi, sophmore JC transfer South Georgia Technical College
Aliyah Matharu, junior transfer Mississippi State, now at Florida

Khadija Faye, sophmore transfer Texas Tech
Shaylee Gonzalez, junior transfer BYU
Taylor Jones, senior transfer Oregon State
Sonya Morris, grad transfer DePaul

Tionna Herron, RS freshman transfer Kentucky

The two in RED transferred in and then out before finishing their eligibility at Texas. But doesn't this say that Vic is like all the other coaches? If he finds someone good, they end up with a starting spot that bumps the players from high school he's recruiting? Faye, Gonzalez, and Jones are all starting. But to be fair, Faye and Jones are centers and those are hard to recruit and build up from high school.

Looking at Vic's "imports" during his time here:

2020:
Kyra Lambert, grad transfer - Duke

2021:
Anissa Gutierrez, junior JC transfer Hendrix College
Kobe King-Hawea, sophmore JC transfer Casper College, finished at James Madison
Femme Masudi, sophmore JC transfer South Georgia Technical College
Aliyah Matharu, junior transfer Mississippi State, now at Florida

Khadija Faye, sophmore transfer Texas Tech
Shaylee Gonzalez, junior transfer BYU
Taylor Jones, senior transfer Oregon State
Sonya Morris, grad transfer DePaul

Tionna Herron, RS freshman transfer Kentucky

The two in RED transferred in and then out before finishing their eligibility at Texas. But doesn't this say that Vic is like all the other coaches? If he finds someone good, they end up with a starting spot that bumps the players from high school he's recruiting? Faye, Gonzalez, and Jones are all starting. But to be fair, Faye and Jones are centers and those are hard to recruit and build up from high school.

Doesn’t say that to me. 2022 is the only year you could argue really and you made a case for the Centers. He was filling a lot of holes for injuries and transfers. It was not his preference to do.
His philosophy is exactly what I said in my post. He wants to recruit and develop players and does not want to recruit over them.

But doesn't this say that Vic is like all the other coaches? If he finds someone good, they end up with a starting spot that bumps the players from high school he's recruiting? Faye, Gonzalez, and Jones are all starting. But to be fair, Faye and Jones are centers and those are hard to recruit and build up from high school.
It absolutely does.

And, that list doesn't include the transfer players we pursued lately (Rickea Jackson, Jewel Spear, JJ Quinerly, Taina Mair, Lauren Fields, etc.) who chose to go elsewhere.

Maybe Vic has gone back and forth as he has experienced the ups and down of recruiting transfers and trying to mesh them with his returning rosters. Initially, he did state he would not recruit over his younger players. Then, he saw several young players (like Lattimore) transfer out, so he changed his tune (and rightfully so as loyalty works both ways) and stated that if a sure-fire difference-maker wanted to come, he would take them but he would understand that he's probably going to lose a younger player who had their playing time affected.

Honestly, if you don't utilize the transfer portal, you are short-changing your program and its potential success, especially when (fellow SEC) programs like LSU, South Carolina, Tennessee, Ole Miss, etc. are taking full advantage of it.

It absolutely does.

And, that list doesn't include the transfer players we pursued lately (Rickea Jackson, Jewel Spear, JJ Quinerly, Taina Mair, Lauren Fields, etc.) who chose to go elsewhere.

Maybe Vic has gone back and forth as he has experienced the ups and down of recruiting transfers and trying to mesh them with his returning rosters. Initially, he did state he would not recruit over his younger players. Then, he saw several young players (like Lattimore) transfer out, so he changed his tune (and rightfully so as loyalty works both ways) and stated that if a sure-fire difference-maker wanted to come, he would take them but he would understand that he's probably going to lose a younger player who had their playing time affected.

Honestly, if you don't utilize the transfer portal, you are short-changing your program and its potential success, especially when (fellow SEC) programs like LSU, South Carolina, Tennessee, Ole Miss, etc. are taking full advantage of it.

It absolutely does not. The point @HornView is making speaks to the current state of our program.... and that's favoring top HS recruits over transfers. He's even verbalized that.

What a coaching staff does in the first two or three years of inheriting a new program is one thing... there are spots to fill with the type of players the coaching staff needs to fit the system they employ. What they do once they assemble the players they need for that system is another. Now that Vic and his staff have had a few solid HS recruiting classes, you did not see them go after a whole lot in the portal last time around. They already knew they had most of the pieces they needed, and (that we know of) only showed major interest a few combo guards.

I suspect that going forward and depending on potential attrition, injuries, and perhaps some major talent entering the portal that addresses a critical need, the strategy will remain to recruit and develop the best high school players possible. It typically takes a good five years to really get the foundation of your program built, and I feel we're slightly ahead of that. I, for one, am here for it. I'm thrilled with the staff we have and the job they've done so far.

Last edited:
Anyone else thrilled with Oklahoma's win at #12 Mississippi? I have yet to watch the game (DVR). But this can only helps Big12WBB.

SEC has had a bad first week outside South Carolina's win over Notre Dame. With #11 Tennessee's loss to #18 Florida State, and #1 LSU's upset loss to #20 Colorado.

Big12WBB Tournament went on sale today, got mine. Looking forward to Texas's last hurrah in the Big 12.

It absolutely does not. The point @HornView is making speaks to the current state of our program.... and that's favoring top HS recruits over transfers. He's even verbalized that. What a coaching staff does in the first two or three years of inheriting a new program is one thing... there are spots to fill with the type of players the coaching staff needs to fit the system they employ. Once they assemble the players they need to for that system is another. Now that Vic and his staff have had a few solid HS recruiting classes, you did not see them go after a whole lot in the portal last time around. They already knew they had most of the pieces they needed, and (that we know of) only showed major interest a few combo guards.

I suspect that going forward and depending on potential attrition, injuries, and perhaps some major talent entering the portal that addresses a critical need, the strategy will remain to recruit and develop the best high school players possible. It typically takes a good five years to really get the foundation of your program built, and I feel we're slightly ahead of that. I, for one, am here for it. I'm thrilled with the staff we have and the job they've done so far.
Well, hornview specifically mentioned Mulkey who has only been at LSU like 2.5 years.

The fact that Vic pursued guards like JJ Quinerly, Taina Mair, and Jewel Spear this past offseason means that their minutes would have come at the expense of young players like Maul, Codio, and Booker, especially backup point guard minutes. No other way to spin it.

I'm all in favor of doing what is best for the program; I'm sure I'm not alone in that sentiment. Let's not pretend like we wouldn't have been happy to land one of those transfer guards and applauded Vic for bringing them into our program regardless of whose minutes were impacted.

I’m not sure just how much those players were actually pursued, and I don’t claim to know one way or another. I’d hope it’s more than just social media follows.

But let me be clear, nowhere did I say Vic would not use the portal. I did use the word “heavily” for a reason.

Well, hornview specifically mentioned Mulkey who has only been at LSU like 2.5 years.
Again...
"What a coaching staff does in the first two or three years of inheriting a new program is one thing... there are spots to fill with the type of players the coaching staff needs to fit the system they employ. What they do once they assemble the players they need for that system is another."

Last edited:

Recent Threads

Back