INFLATION--FED announces 0.50% interest rate cut

That January closing price represented a huge increase from the negative price barely eight months earlier.

Gas prices are what really spiked between the day before election and when Mush for Brains was installed.
Mush for brains! Ha!

Money supply growth is remaining negative. That is good news on the inflation front. But it has to continue to really beat inflation. The problem with that is negative money supply growth coincides with recessions.

Money supply growth is remaining negative. That is good news on the inflation front. But it has to continue to really beat inflation. The problem with that is negative money supply growth coincides with recessions.
You wanted sound money, you got sound money.

The DNC does not care about America except for holding power. Patronizing criminals and poor performing citizens gets votes they need. They realize more than 50% of Americans are very stupid and gullible.

Run that has to be on the list of most asinine actions by Govt ever. I cannot express my complete disgust. Only the IRS gestapo act comes close.

I rebooked my car rental for this summer and saved $150. Also, we are getting closer to another large SS cost of living increase. Finally I heard that apple is offering 4.5% interest in their banking accounts.

I wish on the SSA increase. Early projections are 2 to 3% which will only dig the hole deeper.
Sadly, you are appear to be correct. After COLA’s of 5.9% and 8.7% the last 2 years, it may be as low as 2% this year. That would be a total of 17.4% increase over 3 years. Should be at least 20% to keep up with inflation. This is where 5.5% interest-bearing CD’s are needed to make up the difference in the next 2 years.

I have to admit, I think Powell isn't the worst guy we could have as Fed chair. I don't think the Fed should exist. But in the real world it does, so I would rather things be a little better than a lot worse. Hope he holds the line on inflation. He still has a ways to go.

EIA is a useless political animal.

upload_2023-4-25_7-11-34.png

Chop changed the thread title again. I disagree. Inflation is worse because it is insidious, constant, and economically harmful. Recession is actually the cure to malinvestment of the new money that was created before.

Chop changed the thread title again. I disagree. Inflation is worse because it is insidious, constant, and economically harmful. Recession is actually the cure to malinvestment of the new money that was created before.

The politicians (like Elizabeth Warren or AOC) who want to tolerate high inflation to try to avoid recession are unprincipled hacks. And they're not preventing a recession. They're delaying it and making it worse when it comes.

Is that cheap or expensive? I'm in the UK, so I'm used to being sodomized for gas and don't have perspective anymore. I'm paying $4.45 per gallon right now. (And that is the AAFES price that's exempt from UK fuel duty (about $2.53 per gallon). Locals are paying closer to $7.)
The upper end of not cheap. A lot better than $4.15; not as good as $2.50. (Nowhere as good as it was in 1967 - $0.19.)

The politicians (like Elizabeth Warren or AOC) who want to tolerate high inflation to try to avoid recession are unprincipled hacks. And they're not preventing a recession. They're delaying it and making it worse when it comes.

Yes. And they are getting rich in the whole process too. The gears that are churning that cause price inflation is actually a wealth redistribution machine from working/middle class to politicians and bank executives.

This article is only talking about year over year change in M2 money supply. That sends an extremely misleading message about money supply growth. It has been exponential since the early 80's. Now, the Fed had to enact quantitative tightening which cuts M2 money supply growth, and simultaneously they raised rates since 1/2022! Deflationary stock market and real estate crash, with Inflation. That's called stagflation. See Japan.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Back