INFLATION--FED announces 0.50% interest rate cut

Natural gas is back down to $2.08 per MMBTU. Extremely cheap. Natural gas is more important than crude oil to US economy.
for a day maybe. Gasoline going up over $0.50 over the last two months is a more important indicator. (Up means higher inflation.)

Natural gas goes down as we come out of the winter months. I would not expect the usual drop to be closer to $2 as all excess natural gas is being liquified and sent to Europe where the US LNG is now Europe's largest source of gas.

Geez AC, who does care about ‘pleasing’ the US now that we have such an incompetent in office (and an incompetent Congress).

Nice price!

37B49888-2668-4212-B84D-D87BB6F61116.jpeg

For you MMT apologists. Here’s a guy I know personally. Much smarter than me though. James Lavish, Yale educated hedge fund manager. Now a Bitcoiner. Maybe he can shake lose a few brain cells before it’s too late!

Average price of WTI crude oil since 2000 is $75 (inflation adjusted). So, today’s price is a little more than average.
Crude closed at 52.98 on 19 Jan. 2021 (the day before Uncle Joe took over). It closed last night at 79.74 - a 50.51% real dollar increase.

Yet my royalties are paying nothing.
-but the price of gasoline at the pump keeps going up. Being a retiree on a fixed income, I feel the pinch - and I don't like it. Sure hope we see a turnaround in prices at the pump soon - followed next year by a turnaround in the White House to GOP control!

Keep hoping HHD, although I might hope the same it ain’t happening. Uncle Sam’s empty pockets won’t allow it. Examined the debt lately?

-but the price of gasoline at the pump keeps going up. Being a retiree on a fixed income, I feel the pinch - and I don't like it. Sure hope we see a turnaround in prices at the pump soon - followed next year by a turnaround in the White House to GOP control!
HHD, I am with you, but the best we can hope for is gas between $2.80 and $3.35. Refining limitations and exports of crude have created a bottleneck. Even if the Republicans get their act together and actually win the 2024 Presidential Election it will be two years before a substantial lowering of gasoline prices will take place. Every day Uncle Joe stays in charge the hole gets deeper.

Just a friendly reminder that it costs over $9 more per barrel to get that oil down to the refineries by rail than by pipeline.

Just a simple question if anyone knows, how much more environmental damage has been down the last few months by railroad accident than by pipeline?

Of course, the pipeline isn't kicking money back to the democrats.

Republicans haven't had their act together for more than 100 years. Why expect that now? Their role is to lose and complain about it on TV. No more. No less.

Headline CPI reported at 5.0% today. Most expect the Fed to increase its interest rate to 5.25% at May’s meeting and then hold through the year. Thus the crossover is finally here, although 1 month later than I foresaw due to sticky rent inflation. You can now earn more money in an CD than future inflation is hurting your wallet at the store (sound money!). Inflation is expected to be 3.5% by Fall as year over year rent comps come down.

Crude closed at 52.98 on 19 Jan. 2021 (the day before Uncle Joe took over). It closed last night at 79.74 - a 50.51% real dollar increase.
That January closing price represented a huge increase from the negative price barely eight months earlier.

Gas prices are what really spiked between the day before election and when Mush for Brains was installed.

HHD, I am with you, but the best we can hope for is gas between $2.80 and $3.35. Refining limitations and exports of crude have created a bottleneck. Even if the Republicans get their act together and actually win the 2024 Presidential Election it will be two years before a substantial lowering of gasoline prices will take place. Every day Uncle Joe stays in charge the hole gets deeper.
Locally, we have gone from $2.79 to upper $3.2x and even some $3.3x for regular. Ad 75-80 cents or more for premium. That is roughly in six weeks.

Within Texas, it is quick and easy to add 40 cents to RBOB futures plus a few cents for the store and know roughly what to expect...

Locally, we have gone from $2.79 to upper $3.2x and even some $3.3x for regular. Ad 75-80 cents or more for premium. That is roughly in six weeks.

Within Texas, it is quick and easy to add 40 cents to RBOB futures plus a few cents for the store and know roughly what to expect...
I presume some of this cost increase is switching to summer blend gasoline from winter blend.

321C91B6-43D5-4C74-BE1C-26FD2E9913F1.jpeg
PPI reported today is 2.7% vs March last year. Other than rents and services (think insurance, etc), inflation will be coming down hard in the next 6 months.

Last edited:
More signs are emerging that rent inflation has peaked — Axios

In the upcoming 6 months, the inflations comps for YoY will be very forgiving since peak inflation (rents, goods, etc) hit peak from April - October, 2022. Right now the headline numbers are 5-6% inflation, but assuming no drastic changes, inflation is going to drop to 3.5% based on comps alone. I expect another rate hike in late summer to 5.5%. The delta of 2% interest points is very healthy for the economy moving forward (unless your business model depends on free money).

Last edited:

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Back