If you think California is bad, check out Mississippi

Chop

10,000+ Posts
I keep hearing how bad California sucks these days, and the reports appear to be accurate.

Then, the next thing that's said is that California's state policies have created the sorry mess that they are in.

Therefore, the other States should take note, and (1) not follow the obviously failed policies of California, and (2) enact policies counter or opposite to those of California.

Ok.

But, I've found a state that sucks a whole lot worse than even California -- Mississippi. Mississippi is usually dead last in everything from poverty to education to healthcare to maternal death rates, etc. By almost every objective criterion, MIssissippi sucks worse than any State in the Union, and it's not even close.

So, the logical thing for the other States to do is to take note, and (1) not follow the obviously failed policies of Mississippi, and (2) enact policies counter or opposite to those of Mississippi.

Last edited:

"Mississippi has the nation’s lowest per capita income at $46,248 annually and the highest percentage of people living in poverty at 18.2%." (that means they're the worst at personal income and poverty...)

"Mississippi’s low-wage earners pay a greater percentage of their income in state and local taxes than do the state’s more affluent residents."

Gotta avoid the Mississippian policies so you don't end up sucking like Mississippi.

- so to avoid being like dead-last Mississippi, other States should ensure their high-wage earners pay a greater % of their income in state and local taxes than the low-wage earners.

"The study shows the income tax is the only tax that requires wealthy Mississippians to pay more than the poor. Gov. Tate Reeves wants to eliminate the income tax. The personal income tax already has been cut twice in recent years. In addition, multiple tax cuts for businesses also have been enacted or are being phased in."

Mississippi likes tax cuts. Better not do that and end up like Mississippi--DEAD LAST.

Last edited:
Looks like Mississippi is a right to work state.

I wonder if there's something we can take from that fact...?

I keep hearing how bad California sucks these days, and the reports appear to be accurate.

Then, the next thing that's said is that California's state policies have created the sorry mess that they are in.

Therefore, the other States should take note, and (1) not follow the obviously failed policies of California, and (2) enact policies counter or opposite to those of California.

Ok.

But, I've found a state that sucks a whole lot worse than even California -- Mississippi. Mississippi is usually dead last in everything from poverty to education to healthcare to maternal death rates, etc. By almost every objective criterion, MIssissippi sucks worse than any State in the Union, and it's not even close.

So, the logical thing for the other States to do is to take note, and (1) not follow the obviously failed policies of Mississippi, and (2) enact policies counter or opposite to those of Mississippi.
I hate to burst your bubble but in terms of education you are wrong:

I hate to burst your bubble but in terms of education you are wrong:

This is a very recent phenomenon - Miss doing better in education. They must be doing something different than 10 years ago. What changed?

"Mississippi has the nation’s lowest per capita income at $46,248 annually and the highest percentage of people living in poverty at 18.2%." (that means they're the worst at personal income and poverty...)
It’s a well-known fact that the average pay in Mississippi is lower than that of most other states. However, did you know that the state is extremely generous? Actually, if you take a look at the Catalogue of Philanthropy’s "Generosity Index," you'll notice that Mississippi happens to be the most charitable state.

This is a very recent phenomenon - Miss doing better in education. They must be doing something different than 10 years ago. What changed?
Maybe the policies you were criticizing

Maybe the policies you were criticizing
What educational policies? Specifically?

Miss went from dragging the rear in education (or very close to it) to a bit below average in less than 10 years. They must have changed something. What did they change?

They're still the worst in poverty and most other human development facts.

Ok.

You are also dead wrong about poverty rate as the census bureau doesn’t account for cost of living. Read more here:

The former, based on formula several decades old, involves only a few basic factors and applies them to all states, regardless of their economic and sociological differences.

Economists consider the official rates to be misleading because of their simplistic factors, but they remain in the law because they are the basis for many federal and state programs.

What educational policies? Specifically?
I suggest you read the article I provided. Second, since you are the one throwing out unsubstantiated allegations, I suggest you research it yourself.

None of those are the official sources.

Back