Florida Passes Bill To Eliminate Disney Taxing District

Vol Horn 4 Life

Good Bye To All The Rest!
Florida Senate passes bill to strip Disney's special self-governing status

Florida House passes bill to dissolve Disney’s special self-governing status

This has now passed the house and on DeSantis' desk. Good luck figuring this out Walt.

As was well said before, everything woke turns to ****. Why couldn't Disney just operate a theme park without pushing such a BS agenda. Guess we'll see how much people are willing to pay to go there. I've gone 10 times in my life and the last two were disappointing. Service has really suffered. Guess I'll probably never go back.

Last edited:
They are about to cost taxpayers in Orlando money. They are possibly gonna **** around and find out consequences.

Why couldn't Disney just operate a theme park without pushing such a BS agenda. Guess we'll see how much people are willing to pay to go there.
Exactly! If they just stick to their business - family entertainment - they'll do fine.
Mrs. HHD and I spent a small fortune to fly to Orlando with our grandkids - to give them a great memory of a special time with the grandparents. I won't go back.

They are about to cost taxpayers in Orlando money. They are possibly gonna f**khead around and find out consequences.

Please explain how the fine people of Orlando will incur a higher tax burden. I assume that's what you meant by that.

I saw a number last night that if this passes Disney would have to pay an additional $200 mil a year in taxes. I thought libs were all about greedy corporations paying their fair share. Doesn't this excite you?

Please explain how the fine people of Orlando will incur a higher tax burden. I assume that's what you meant by that.

I saw a number last night that if this passes Disney would have to pay an additional $200 mil a year in taxes. I thought libs were all about greedy corporations paying their fair share. Doesn't this excite you?
My understanding is that Disney provides roughly $2k per taxpayer of funding for their "public services".

I don't think they should have increased taxes on Disney. I think they should have reduced taxes on everyone else.

The special privilege Disney had that needed to be removed was an indefinite extension on patents and copyright. End that. It hurts Disney by making them more susceptible to competition while it doesn't increase the power of government but weakens it.

DeSantis is correct to "do something", but he still has that big government mind set unfortunately.

If you want a business to pick your city to grow I don’t have a problem with a limited tax reduction plan. Not unlimited but this is political, in my opinion.

What is the Hornfan's party-line explanation for why government punishing Disney for the content of its speech is not a First Amendment violation? Pretend that this is a tax policy decision and has nothing to do with Disney's alleged wokedness :facepalm: or is there a genuine substantive defense?

What is the Hornfan's party-line explanation for why government punishing Disney for the content of its speech is not a First Amendment violation? Pretend that this is a tax policy decision and has nothing to do with Disney's alleged wokedness :facepalm: or is there a genuine substantive defense?
Cognitive dissonance at its finest.

This thread has useful info:

I think one could certainly make the argument that it's a First Amendment violation. It's not because they're entitled to these arrangements. They aren't. It's because of the Legislature's intent when they voted to end them. They did it in retaliation for the company's stance on legislation.

To be clear, Disney was dumb to get into this. As a family-oriented business, they should have stayed out of this entire controversy. However, the fact that I support the bill they oppose has no bearing on their right to oppose it. The government shouldn't retaliate against a person or business for disagreeing with a state law - period. Like I said before, I don't think Disney will leave the state over this, but it's still a bad approach.

Wouldn't we condemn the State of California if it blatantly screws with Chick-fil-A or In 'n Out Burger for their politics? I would.

Last edited:

This is 100% politics driven.

Quite frankly it annoys me that companies get millions and billions in tax breaks while the people of the community incur tax increases through increased property values. It's happening to me now with a mega Samsung factory being built 6 miles from my house. The families who built my town will eventually be forced out.

Back to our original topic, the tax repeal is completely political and misguided. I just like to see liberals get their panties in a wad for getting a taste of their own medicine.

Maybe this brings us to a common ground to talk about differences instead of canceling businesses for not agreeing with your policies. Somehow I don't think it will happen though.

So Florida passed a bill. Disney was mute on the bill. Many of their employees and customers griped. They then offered a tepid disagreement with the bill. Desantis is using this as a national thing. He will “punish” Disney in the culture war by taking some of their control and giving them a $168,000,000 tax break that he will pass on to Florida. free speech lol.

Good thread.

This is 100% politics driven.

Quite frankly it annoys me that companies get millions and billions in tax breaks while the people of the community incur tax increases through increased property values. It's happening to me now with a mega Samsung factory being built 6 miles from my house. The families who built my town will eventually be forced out.

Back to our original topic, the tax repeal is completely political and misguided. I just like to see liberals get their panties in a wad for getting a taste of their own medicine.

Maybe this brings us to a common ground to talk about differences instead of canceling businesses for not agreeing with your policies. Somehow I don't think it will happen though.
The defense of this action is MAD - mutually assured destruction.

I do not consider removing special treatment for one specific corporation as a 1st Amendment issue. Had Florida proposed a special tax on Disney now that would be a different story. Why should a private company that chooses to become a political advocate against a democratically passed law expect favorable treatment from the voters it seeks to undermine? Actions have consequences. If Disney doesn't like it then maybe next time they should focus on entertaining families rather than worrying about the sexuality of young children.

So Florida passed a bill. Disney was mute on the bill. Many of their employees and customers griped. They then offered a tepid disagreement with the bill. Desantis is using this as a national thing. He will “punish” Disney in the culture war by taking some of their control and giving them a $168,000,000 tax break that he will pass on to Florida. free speech lol.

Good thread.

Coach, they sided with people who want to talk sexuality with very young children. (In other words, it's actually a pretty moderate and reasonable bill.) I know that kind of crap has been mainstreamed in your party which I think makes it hard for you to understand , but to normal people, it's really messed up. It's not NAMBLA, but it's in the same zip code. Accordingly, from a political standpoint, it's almost impossible to go too far in punishing them.

Again, I don't support what they're doing, but Disney brought it into themselves and for very stupid reasons.

How much debt is the state government trying to take over from Disney for (I think) Orange County?

Last edited:
That has to be a better way to make the point. Or maybe I don't understand what the bill actually does. It looks like Florida residents get screwed, not Disney.

I do not consider removing special treatment for one specific corporation as a 1st Amendment issue. Had Florida proposed a special tax on Disney now that would be a different story. Why should a private company that chooses to become a political advocate against a democratically passed law expect favorable treatment from the voters it seeks to undermine? Actions have consequences. If Disney doesn't like it then maybe next time they should focus on entertaining families rather than worrying about the sexuality of young children.

It's a gray area. Disney isn't entitled to the tax status, but the state is engaging in viewpoint discrimination. Generally that's a bad thing.

It's a gray area. Disney isn't entitled to the tax status, but the state is engaging in viewpoint discrimination. Generally that's a bad thing.

You can make the argument what DeSantis is doing is wrong. However, it sends a message to any incoming blue state corporations moving there and individuals to leave your depravity behind because it's not welcome in Florida.

Desantis, like Trump, plays hardball. We're done trying to play fair with a bunch of psychopaths who are censoring us and trying to eff our country up.

It’s a silly fight. They spend Disney money on services in their area. For that they get streamlined administrative approvals of things they need. It’s good for everyone. The right is all about freedom and free speech until they disagree.

You can make the argument what DeSantis is doing is wrong. However, it sends a message to any incoming blue state corporations moving there and individuals to leave your depravity behind because it's not welcome in Florida.

Desantis, like Trump, plays hardball. We're done trying to play fair with a bunch of psychopaths who are censoring us and trying to eff our country up.

Just like with Trump, I'm fine with playing hardball so long as we're playing smart - meaning that we don't end up tripping on our own dicks and hurting ourselves. Fortunately, this is Desantis's first mistake after doing almost everything else right, and unlike Trump, he's disciplined enough to keep from sputtering into idiocy. Even if I don't like this move, it's not going to keep me from voting for him in the primary.

Last edited:
Just like with Trump, I'm fine with playing hardball so long as we're playing smart - meaning that we don't end up tripping on our own dicks and hiring ourselves. Fortunately, this is Desantis's first mistake after doing almost everything else right, and unlike Trump, he's disciplined enough to keep from sputtering into idiocy. Even if I don't like this move, it's not going to keep me from voting for him in the primary.
I contend certain things were said offline (threats, etc.) between the parties (DeSantis, Disney, and the lobbyists) that sealed the deal.

It’s a silly fight. They spend Disney money on services in their area. For that they get streamlined administrative approvals of things they need. It’s good for everyone. The right is all about freedom and free speech until they disagree.

I don't think keeping people in public institutions from talking about dicks with 5-8 year olds is a silly fight. I think it's pretty sensible and worthwhile. I do think Disney was dumb to intervene, and I think the state is dumb to retaliate.

Back