Coaching News and Rumors

Good point and it underscores how important a good AD is. Many other hires (good or bad) are dependent upon this one hire.
I disagree.
I miss the guy with the jetpack.
It was a Big mistake for CDC to trade that fan favorite flying jet pack for Bevo Blvd, the upgraded tailgate experience and to hire Sark.

Last edited:
:uw:
UW has been in a rut for a while. While Fresno isn't the PAC, DeBoer has won big wherever he has been. UW has the hardware/championships of a big boy program, but they don't seem to have the appeal (and maybe the $$$) for the big-name coaches.

I'm not sure who would have been better. I doubt Fickell would've said yes (if UW were to ask). Helton - a downgrade. Kingsbury - ??? Mel Tucker - not a chance. Freeze - UW doesn't strike me as lacking in ethics; pretty classy program as far as I know. Patterson - that might be interesting, but they don't want him. Campbell - maybe, but that's far from his backyard.

Digging in the archives, he’s doing pretty well two years in.

So its Elko for aggy, frankly its a solid if not very sexy hire. Fisher could recruit and if Elko can hold onto the locker room and not lose half his team to the portal and hold onto the top ten class aggy currently has they will be ok. I honestly expect aggy to win 9-10 games next year just based on the talent they will have and their schedule that is extremely favorable. The buildup for that game in B/CS when Texas comes to town is going to be extraordinary and our aggy cousins are going to base their entire self worth on it so be ready for a year of crazy leading into it and who knows what after it depending on the score.

404364118_10229510051518746_7678472795859094038_n.jpg

So its Elko for aggy, frankly its a solid if not very sexy hire. Fisher could recruit and if Elko can hold onto the locker room and not lose half his team to the portal and hold onto the top ten class aggy currently has they will be ok. I honestly expect aggy to win 9-10 games next year just based on the talent they will have and their schedule that is extremely favorable. The buildup for that game in B/CS when Texas comes to town is going to be extraordinary and our aggy cousins are going to base their entire self worth on it so be ready for a year of crazy leading into it and who knows what after it depending on the score.

Comfort hire at its best. He’ll retain a good portion of the staff. Which means they paid off Jimbo for much of the same

Elko knows Aggy and he's still coming back. He also knows the SEC is no joke. Wonder what the money is.

Last edited:
Ok. Admittedly I havent followed the aTm coaching carousel as closely as many of you. I see on here that Elko is going to College Patch. For more story, I went to ESPN. They have Elko going to Mississippi State. Sports Illustrated page has Elko to aTm. Which is it? Not being a woke issue, ESPN can be expected to muff it. That network collapse is comparable to the Jambo Fisher hire in F’d updom.

UH would be wise to bring back Herman. He had them turning the corner when he bailed for the Texas/LSU bidding war. It'd be a chance to get out of the sinking AAC and back into the XII.

I do not like Art Briles, but I do defend him. Right or wrong, he followed Baylor protocol and did what he was mandated to do, yet the Teflon board or more appropriately the "basketball board" deflected everything onto him.

I have been Baptist longer than most on this board have been alive, and some of those board members were once good friends - "once" because I have been at war with them for 30+ years over the drugs, deaths at Baylor.

The travesty in McLennan County rivals Osborne's defense of Phillips but the real culprits went unpunished and the people bitching in Norman reacted to ****** media coverage without having or knowing any of the facts. If Briles was responsible, why did Baylor write him that HUGE check? Why did the court rule in his favor?

Unfortunately for him, he has become a lightning rod for that whole thing. Convicted by the media in the court of public opinion but not at the courthouse.

I do not like Art Briles, but I do defend him. Right or wrong, he followed Baylor protocol and did what he was mandated to do, yet the Teflon board or more appropriately the "basketball board" deflected everything onto him.

I have been Baptist longer than most on this board have been alive, and some of those board members were once good friends - "once" because I have been at war with them for 30+ years over the drugs, deaths at Baylor.

The travesty in McLennan County rivals Osborne's defense of Phillips but the real culprits went unpunished and the people bitching in Norman reacted to ****** media coverage without having or knowing any of the facts. If Briles was responsible, why did Baylor write him that HUGE check? Why did the court rule in his favor?

Unfortunately for him, he has become a lightning rod for that whole thing. Convicted by the media in the court of public opinion but not at the courthouse.

What would have been his crime? A cover-up of a crime? Just asking. I guess it's hard to prove what someone doesn't know. Look at Harbaugh. Did he know? It seems the bigger crime is the lack of institutional control stuff. It happened on his watch.

Isn’t Elko the brand name of some kitchen utensils? Fits aggy well.
Bless his heart, he will just join that long line of aggy misery. Even when coaches change in collie station, nothing really changes. The name Tom Wilson comes to my mind.:thumbup:

UH would be wise to bring back Herman. He had them turning the corner when he bailed for the Texas/LSU bidding war. It'd be a chance to get out of the sinking AAC and back into the XII.
This is not a bad idea. Herman could succeed in a smaller pond; he's done it before. And UH, of all places, could not care less about what classless, embarrassing things their coach or other University representatives might do.

:uh:

Gary Patterson is a horrible fit for Third Ward. It is an inner city school with a very limited following for athletics. They recruit and develop inner city kids and have since Yoeman arrived. Class attendance is optional. Personally, I don't think Patterson can succeed there, and Traylor can do better.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Back