Coaching News and Rumors

The Unleash Earl Movement was a big part of dissatisfaction with Royal. He used him as a Fullback.
My Sr yr Earl was a Frosh. People were grinding on St. Darryl before Earl was on campus.

Ricky was a fullback for 2 years. Had he been the "feature back" all 4 years, NOBODY would have ever come close to his rushing record...least of all Ron Dayne.

My Sr yr Earl was a Frosh. People were grinding on St. Darryl before Earl was on campus.

Ricky was a fullback for 2 years. Had he been the "feature back" all 4 years, NOBODY would have ever come close to his rushing record...least of all Ron Dayne.

I have thought this for many years. And I believe Dane actually came back for another year, so he could break the record.

Beginning to think this is propaganda orchestrated by Sexton to make Ole Miss fans think he wasn’t interested.
But I bet he will change his tune once the newness of the new coach wears off in a couple of years. I believe this will be the time the Kiffens, the Lannings and the Sweeny’s come a running to Alabama

:brickwall::brickwall::brickwall:

When you were a frosh…Farrah was still there…sniff..she was gone by ‘73. All those consecutive SWC championships ended when she left.:confused2:

Last edited:
Does anybody feel it's unbelievable that De Boer didn't give the Aggies the time of day, but left Washington for Bama? Man...somebody has misjudged how attractive a job in College Station can be.

Last edited:
When I got to UT in the early-mid 70's I was dumbfounded to hear the exact same things said about St. Darryl. There were also Letters to the Editor in the UD practically every day saying the game had passed him by & he needed to go.
My freshman year was 76 which was Royal’s last. The combination of OU’s institutional cheating and the lack of support from Dr Rogers, et all was the final straw in a very disappointing final year. Earl dealt with a hamstring issue all year and finally got healthy in Royal’s last game against Frank Broyles and the Razorbacks. Royal’s parting was tarnished as he pushed for Bill Campbell to get the job that Was given to Coach Akers. Akers turned Earl loose in 77 and of course he won the Heisman. While Coach Akers was the right choice, the treatment of Coach Royal was handled terribly. A great coach and leader.

Once he finds out they add pink food coloring to the salmon in Alabama, he's outta there.
Does anybody feel it's unbelievable that De Boer didn't give the Aggies the time of day, but left Washington for Bama. Man...somebody has misjudged how attractive a job in College Station can be.

Elko demonstrates unreal vision and timing to catch the perfect prize that waits upon the shelf..a rather large and crusty old jar.

My freshman year was 76 which was Royal’s last. The combination of OU’s institutional cheating and the lack of support from Dr Rogers, et all was the final straw in a very disappointing final year. Earl dealt with a hamstring issue all year and finally got healthy in Royal’s last game against Frank Broyles and the Razorbacks. Royal’s parting was tarnished as he pushed for Bill Campbell to get the job that Was given to Coach Akers. Akers turned Earl loose in 77 and of course he won the Heisman. While Coach Akers was the right choice, the treatment of Coach Royal was handled terribly. A great coach and leader.
In 1977, I got on an elevator in Belmont. Turned around & Coach Royal got on behind me. The stress wrinkles in his face were deep enough to plant a Live Oak.
Saw him decades later...the stress wrinkles were gone & he looked 20+ yrs younger.

Of course, had Herschel Walker played all four years, we might say the same about him.

Akina has been an analyst at Arizona for the past year. Nansen came from Arizona and may have recommended Akina to come along as an analyst. I've seen the rumor elsewhere, so if true, that would be great news.

Sark likes coaching continuity, but he also likes excellent player development. If the current coaches aren't quite where they should be, bringing in a seasoned and successful coach to mentor the coaches is very wise.

BTW, Huff assists with the DBs and he may have also been a factor in recruiting Akina.

Akina has been an analyst at Arizona for the past year. Nansen came from Arizona and may have recommended Akina to come along as an analyst. I've seen the rumor elsewhere, so if true, that would be great news.

Sark likes coaching continuity, but he also likes excellent player development. If the current coaches aren't quite where they should be, bringing in a seasoned and successful coach to mentor the coaches is very wise.

BTW, Huff assists with the DBs and he may have also been a factor in recruiting Akina.

Not sure where the issue lays on our db play but no one can deny Akina had some outstanding db's while at Texas. So is it pks style that is the problem or is it the players? I sure haven't seen the speed from our DB's as they always seem to be chasing the receivers. Speed across the board is not nearly the desire from Texas today as it was in the early 2000's when Mack built the championship teams. Sark got us very close this year without Bijan so perhaps its just part of the process. I prefer speed.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back