California Bad, Texas Good?

My solution to revenue shortfalls is always simple:

Massive sales tax increases on all the products I don't like and/or never buy.

:beertoast:

Abbott says some good things sometimes, but I am not sure I am even seeing a state tax reduction in 2024 from the alleged tax cuts they just made. You can never trust Abbott 100% on things like this.

I wish some of you Millennials and younger could have seen how California used to be in the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, and 2000-2005 or so.

It really was an awesome place. It was always pretty whacky with an anything goes sort of attitude, but it was mostly pretty nice. San Francisco was a cool town, a real gem of a city. San Diego was great--it's the last major city out there that's still holding on. Even Los Angeles was a fun and exciting town, and was pretty safe in most of it (though it's always had its rough patches). For about 50 years California had its day in the sun as the "it" place. The movers and shakers in all sorts of fields flocked to California.

But now, it really sucks. It's just fallen off a cliff out there. It's really ashamed what was allowed to happen to our most populous state. There is a stern warning then for other places (including Texas).

It's really ashamed what was allowed to happen to our most populous state. There is a stern warning then for other places (including Texas).
Texas will pass California in population by 2040, if not sooner.

Greater Tokyo is more crowded and probably 7-8 times (or more) as big as Houston in population. Street crime is next to nothing there. We don’t have to become another California.

The last thing I want is for Texas to surpass California in population. The current population explosion has already suckified many things about the Texas I was raised in.

I wish some of you Millennials and younger could have seen how California used to be in the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, and 2000-2005 or so.

It really was an awesome place. It was always pretty whacky with an anything goes sort of attitude, but it was mostly pretty nice. San Francisco was a cool town, a real gem of a city. San Diego was great--it's the last major city out there that's still holding on. Even Los Angeles was a fun and exciting town, and was pretty safe in most of it (though it's always had its rough patches). For about 50 years California had its day in the sun as the "it" place. The movers and shakers in all sorts of fields flocked to California.

But now, it really sucks. It's just fallen off a cliff out there. It's really ashamed what was allowed to happen to our most populous state. There is a stern warning then for other places (including Texas).

I was born in Oakland in '76 and lived there until '84. Oakland was a **** hole back then and had been since the early '60s. SF was still a cool city in a lot of ways, but signs of dysfunction were already there. Crime was tolerated. Drugs and homelessness were on the rise. Gay men were spreading HIV/AIDS like crazy in bathhouses, and the city got big resistance in closing them.

The Los Angeles area (where my extended family still lives) was awesome. It was massive but was largely clean, safe, and had a lot of cool things to do. Ditto for San Diego. I loved visiting both. The fact they've allowed that city to go to hell is a disgrace.

Everywhere on the east side of the bay north of San Jose has always been that way, and don't forget East Palo Alto is the poster child of that movement.
Union City and Freemont are ok. The hills above Berkeley were really nice, but they have way too high of a fire hazard. Nature doesn't like development there.

The last thing I want is for Texas to surpass California in population. The current population explosion has already suckified many things about the Texas I was raised in.

I wasn't even born here and the explosion has suckified a lot of what I love about Texas. Its too crowded, roads congested all the time, people aren't friendly anymore, I used to know almost everyone I ran into and now I know almost no one. Massive assive buildings....I have to look for the UT tower when I'm driving around Austin where I used to just be able to glance and see if we won or lost a game. Even far West Texas is getting "over run" and it's almost an uninhabitable place.

Yep. Attracting more people from failing left wing states and countries needs to stop being our primary objective. I've been visiting since early March (flying home this coming weekend), and it's almost unrecognisable from the state I left.

Visiting Plano is friggin' depressing. It was a great place to live when I was growing up. It still has plenty of nice areas, but there are major signs of decline. I used to virtually never see bums or panhandlers. Now I regularly do - especially near Spring Creek and Central. It used to be dominated by beautiful neighbourhoods with nice but reasonably affordable homes largely owned by families. Virtually every new development I see now is apartment complexes, and most homes (especially newer ones) are too expensive for most families to buy. I recently read that Plano ISD is now going down in size. That should be cause for concern. Basically Dallas is turning into Los Angeles, and Plano is trying to turn into Santa Monica.

Abbott says some good things sometimes, but I am not sure I am even seeing a state tax reduction in 2024 from the alleged tax cuts they just made. You can never trust Abbott 100% on things like this.
I know the property tax "win" that all the politicians crowed so much about, is turning out to be much ado about nothing.

Instead of increases of 15%, 7%, 8% we are going to see 10%, 10%, 10%. The net effect is almost exactly the same, it may just take one extra year to get to the same place. All the tax assessment boards are doing is keeping that retained value appreciation on the books so they can apply it in the future years.

Texas will pass California in population by 2040, if not sooner.
IMG_9084.jpeg

I hope the folks leaving CA for other states remember what the liberal policies did to ruin CA. When the former CA residents vote in their new states, we must hope they vote conservative.

I hope the folks leaving CA for other states remember what the liberal policies did to ruin CA. When the former CA residents vote in their new states, we must hope they vote conservative.
HHD, they will not; after all in their feeble minds, they are superior to us Texans.

I was born in Oakland in '76 and lived there until '84. Oakland was a **** hole back then and had been since the early '60s. SF was still a cool city in a lot of ways, but signs of dysfunction were already there. Crime was tolerated. Drugs and homelessness were on the rise. Gay men were spreading HIV/AIDS like crazy in bathhouses, and the city got big resistance in closing them.

The Los Angeles area (where my extended family still lives) was awesome. It was massive but was largely clean, safe, and had a lot of cool things to do. Ditto for San Diego. I loved visiting both. The fact they've allowed that city to go to hell is a disgrace.
I lived in Walnut Creek and worked in Concord in the early 90’s. The City was horrible then..angry, dirty, and the Embarcadero Freeway was still down from the earthquake. SF was dangerous and full of panhandlers. There were gays with sores all over their faces. I can’t fathom it being any worse than it was then, but it is clearly much worse.

When we first moved there, they used to say, Welcome to Paradise! I had no idea what they were talking about. Having lived in many different states, I can honestly say the Bay Area is the second worse place that I’ve ever lived…Lubbock, my hometown, is #1.

Austin in the 70’s, Maui and Bozeman in the 80’s and Sarasota in the 90’s were altogether paradise.

Last edited:
HHD, they will not; after all in their feeble minds, they are superior to us Texans.
Like the defenders of the Alamo, I’m surrounded now. We are well-provisioned with three Beeves in the freezer, various canned foods left over from the plague, plenty of bullets and two large-breasted, former Westlake cheerleaders of moderate virtue, whom I have held and will continue to hold in reserve.

Out-of-state, leftist retirees and their mindless, blue-haired, nose-ringed and satanically-tatted minions are pouring now over the ramparts, here in Marathon.

All of the pioneering rancher’s families, my friends, are dead. The enemy know who I am and my allegiances. My brave and steadfast Mexican brothers-in-arms and I will take with us as many as we can. Once we declared opposition to Brandon, or shall I say his Overlord masters, our fate was sealed.

This will certainly be the last dispatch. If anyone can get a message to Sam, then tell him to send the whole ffriggin’ military to the border and 3 more cheerleaders! Post haste.

Last edited:
Back