2024 Recruiting - Football

Don't know the Bruce kid, but Jerry Gray may be our best safety of all time and he never broke 4.6 in the 40. Ask Bo Jackson about people that run a 4.6

Don't know the Bruce kid, but Jerry Gray may be our best safety of all time and he never broke 4.6 in the 40. Ask Bo Jackson about people that run a 4.6

What do we guess is the comparison of how many players broke 4.5 then vs now? Same% or are they faster and stronger today?

My little HS many years ago had 8-10 at 4.5 or better, 5 at 9.8 or better in 100

Also Gil Steinke (sp) took a kid from South Park that ran a 10.3 hundred and turned him into a 9.2 sprinter and second round pick by Raiders (Al Davis thought he had another Warren Wells

Precious few are Herkie, Tony Jones, Lam

Then you have idiot coaches that NEVER throw the ball to a Curtis Dickey

My little HS many years ago had 8-10 at 4.5 or better, 5 at 9.8 or better in 100

Also Gil Steinke (sp) took a kid from South Park that ran a 10.3 hundred and turned him into a 9.2 sprinter and second round pick by Raiders (Al Davis thought he had another Warren Wells

I'm betting the average size, speed, and strength of the team is more than it was.

Here's an interesting page discussing the size of players from the 1920s to the 1970s to today...

Evolution of the NFL Player | NFL Football Operations

Sabre, if you went to South Park, do you remember Mack McKinley ( Class of 67 I think) . He and I were together at UT. He at one time owned "The Common Interest" on Burnet Rd. Mack overcame a lot as a kid (polio) and was a pretty good golfer on one leg.

I didn't go to South Park but they were in the same UIL district. I did not know your friend but he had the misfortune of being at South Park when Don Crosslin was HC. Did he ever introduce you to Billy Wright? Arguably the greatest athlete to come out of Beaumont after Babe Diedrickson (sp).

Billy came to Texas but didn't stay.

Are you saying Bo ran a 4.6?? No way!!
Gray had an angle on that play, it was the hit that impressed.

My team was barely 2A and we had 3 that ran 4.5. But we were all around 150 pounds. Obviously people that are above 190 pounds and run 4.5 are very rare. Not so much the small, high school players.

Last edited:
I’ve always found those handheld times by high school coaches were great motivational tools for their athletes, but were rarely accurate.

I’ve always found those handheld times by high school coaches were great motivational tools for their athletes, but were rarely accurate.
We were timed by Rooster Andrews and we ran against Shifton Baker..aggy alternative Olympian from Elgin and 7 year Atlanta Falcon and Longhorn Legend, Alfred Jackson from Caldwell. They never smoked us on deep routes or on the track so our times were probably good.

We were timed by Rooster Andrews and we ran against Shifton Baker..aggy alternative Olympian from Elgin and 7 year Atlanta Falcon and Longhorn Legend, Alfred Jackson from Caldwell. They never smoked us on deep routes or on the track so our times were probably good.
I was meaning those guys that couldn’t break 5.5 and were timed at 4.9 or better.
I remember Rooster and Bunny being the starters at the Purnell Relays in angleton.
Rooster was a godparent to one of my best friends.

I was meaning those guys that couldn’t break 5.5 and were timed at 4.9 or better.
I remember Rooster and Bunny being the starters at the Purnell Relays in angleton.
Rooster was a godparent to one of my best friends.
My step mother, Kathleen Lockhart, was one of BJ’s best friends…they met as freshmen and lived together at Littlefield dorm. Rooster was very close to Ken Dabbs and arranged for Willie Nelson to perform for my tiny high school football banquet in 1972.

Last edited:
My step mother, Kathleen Lockhart, was one of BJ’s best friends…they met as freshmen and lived together at Littlefield dorm. Rooster was very close to Ken Dabbs and arranged for Willie Nelson to perform for my tiny high school football banquet in 1972.
Thank goodness for Coach Dabbs.

Gyl,

The joke always was that stopwatches in Nebraska came in two models, those that stopped at 4.4 and those that stopped at 4.8, the latter being for OL & DL.

I see that the Horns are no longer recruiting Lake Travis Def. Lineman Gus Cordova. Apparently, Cordova and some buddies put peanuts in a student's locker at school who is very allergic to peanuts, like the type of allergy that puts the person in the hospital or could kill them. See the whole story by Keff Ciardello dated February 22, 2024 on College Football Network. Besides Texas, other schools recruiting Cordova include Alabama, LSU, USC, Ohio State, and Texas A&M.

However, Cordova isn't mentioned in the news story and should be considered to be innocent until proven guilty by the Texas Criminal Courts, his star ratings have been removed from 247Sports player rankings. This joke or prank, could have been fatal for the targeted kid.

Last edited:
Worster,

One of my favorite all time Longhorns. Stories about Joe Don were infamous - like throwing two guys through the plate glass windows at the 19th Street Toddle House because they were picking on and making fun of a cripple guy. He did, however, assist one of them by allowing him to finish part of his meal first, although I've never seen "pay phone receiver" on the menu at a Toddle House. After feeding the guy the receiver and throwing them through the windows, he supposedly apologized to the guys date and sat back down and finished his meal while waiting for police.

Great RB, great punter, great sprinter, but seems like they never completed the interior of the top floor. I can't imagine a meeting between him and DKR.

I see that the Horns are no longer recruiting Lake Travis Def. Lineman Gus Cordova. Apparently, Cordova and some buddies put peanuts in a student's locker at school who is very allergic to peanuts, like the type of allergy that puts the person in the hospital or could kill them. See the whole story by Keff Ciardello dated February 22, 2024 on College Football Network. Besides Texas, other schools recruiting Cordova include Alabama, LSU, USC, Ohio State, and Texas A&M.

However, Cordova isn't mentioned in the news story and should be considered to be innocent until proven guilty by the Texas Criminal Courts, his star ratings have been removed from 247Sports player rankings. This joke or prank, could have been fatal for the targeted kid.

Lake Travis HS football player with severe allergy exposed to peanuts by teammates

Recent Threads

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-OU *
Sat, Oct 12 • 2:30 PM on ABC

Back