2024 MLB Draft--Thomas Round 2; LBJ Round 5; Witt Round 14

Sykora is not expected to last long today:

"Travis Sykora, RHP, Round Rock HS, Tex. (No. 40)

Physical and athletic, Sykora is one of the hardest throwers in the class, reaching triple digits with his fastball. He can throw his mid-80s slider and splitter for strikes, missing bats with both. The Texas recruit has some projection in his 6-foot-6 frame and is the kind of high-end high school arm who often gets taken when things get going in Round 3."

Gasparino
Sykora
Witt

Those are 3 guys that could go in Round 3. Some of them (Sykora, in particular), may have a very difficult decision to make. The MLB $$ may not be worth it. Now if Gasparino plays here for a few years, that's double icing on the cake for us!

Then Round 4 and Round 5 might see LBJ and/or Campbell go. Don't shoot me for saying this, but if I was an MLB team decision maker, I'd actually take LBJ over Witt. I see a young JR Richard, including his youthful imperfect control, in LBJ. Of course, Witt also has massive upside. It seems that Witt's injury may be pushing him down some MLB teams' lists. If Witt is taken in Round 3, it may be difficult to keep him here.

Witt may fall further due to his injury and him not quite showing he’s back.

All things being equal, for any that fall out of the 3rd round (for those that are still in high school), I would likely advise them to go to school, improve their draft position. They will get one year in the bigXII and one in the SEC to improve and show what they got.

Then Round 4 and Round 5 might see LBJ and/or Campbell go. Don't shoot me for saying this, but if I was an MLB team decision maker, I'd actually take LBJ over Witt.
At this point I would agree. One summer of work doesn't equate to pro-ball work (more like pro-warm-ups). Witt does have the higher upside, but really needs a season to regain his strength and stamina.

Take the flame thrower and hope to catch lightning.

FYI-Rangers select Skyler Hales P, Santa Clara with the 108th pick in the 4th rd.

Last edited:
Lucas "Geno" Gordon to the White Sox!
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I'd say that Geno has done more for our program than anyone, during the time when he was here. He had a great 2-year run starting on the mound. Big 12 pitcher of the year!

The commentator says he's likely heading to the White Sox's bullpen. I can't argue with that. I see him as a solid middle reliever in the Bigs. Although, if he reaches the peak of his ability, he could end up another Smoltz. Chicago Sox may have gotten themselves a bargain.

Last edited:
The $ is down below $280K now.

Still no Witt, LBJ, Morris, Gasparino, Tumis, Borba, Guillemette, Powell, Brown, Morehouse, or Sthele.

I don't think either LBJ or Witt have long to wait before their names are called. I'm surprised the pros weren't anywhere near as high on Gasparino as the internet scouts have been. There's a real chance he could play here at UT.

I also really hope Hayden Morris makes it to the 40 acres. The "skinny" on this very large (and strong) young man is that, while his draft projections aren't that high when you average them all up, there are a few MLB teams that are really high on him, and they may be sitting on their picks in hopes of getting a real bargain in a few more rounds... Of course, if the $$ isn't good enough, to college he may go.

The Braves just took a Rice pitcher with a 4.93 ERA...? Justin Long. His fastball sits at 93-95, and has a decent slider.

(ahead of LBJ--sub 3.00 ERA against much better competition, Fastball sits 95-96 and up to 99+, really good splitter and a really good slider up to 89-90)

It’s looking like Pierce may end up with a numbers problem. Not sure how many of these guys can or will be on the team that didn’t get drafted and depending on at least some schollie $. Baseball usually breaks up full schollies for partials to spread it around.
Good problem to have I guess, he needs more pitching and offense.

Hmmmmmmmm.

Braxton Bragg just got picked by the Orioles. He suffered some big losses in Tennessee and Mississippi, but he still appears to have supporters in high places.

I cannot believe that Witt and LBJ haven't been drafted, unfathomable. LBJ is poised to take Gordon's spot in the rotation and I don't think Witt will require more than a months work to regain his previous form. If we get both back, we could be in pretty good shape for 2024.

Last edited:
I cannot believe that Witt and LBJ haven't been drafted, unfathomable. LBJ is poised to take Gordon's spot in the rotation and I don't think Witt will require more than a months work to regain his previous form. If we get both back, we could be in pretty good shape for 2024.
If we could get one or the other back, I think we'll be in pretty good shape for 2024.

Count on at least two (or more) of the following being a quality starter next year (weekend or mid-week): Morris, Tumis, Selvig, Whitehead, Zaharias, Santos, Rigney, Hurley, Boehm. That's 9 guys who might be starters. (I think Hamilton is a reliever, but who knows, maybe he'll also challenge for a starting position...?). Hurley and Rigney already have college starting experience. Add in either LBJ or Witt, and we'll have at least 4 good starters.

The others above who are not starters look like they'd make good relievers, at a minimum. Add them to guys like Tole, Lummus, Sthele, Howard, Grubbs, DuPlantier, etc. and we've got the deepest quality pen in recent memory.

Even if 3, 4, or 5 of the pitchers listed above don't pan out, we'll still have a good pitching staff. Frankly I'd be shocked if any of Morris, Tumis, Zaharias, or Selvig don't pan out--at least as capable relievers, if not starters.

The probability that at least 4-5 of the following will be good, (or at the very least serviceable), is high: Morris, Tumis, Selvig, Zaharias, Santos, Rigney, Hamilton.

And I forgot about Mercer--another really good reliever. The quality depth of next year's pitching staff is something we'd have to go back a bit in time to equal.

And I forgot about Mercer--another really good reliever. The quality depth of next year's pitching staff is something we'd have to go back a bit in time to equal.
Wait a second - are you suggesting the good posters on this board might have overreacted a few weeks ago after the Stanford super regional?

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back