Tournament Terry--that's his name

Chop,

You forgot Heart of Texas Coliseum, aka, the Dungeon. Baylor never lost any money on the electric bill there. When Wacker went down, it was a couple of minutes before anyone knew because nobody brought a flashlite.

Remember Shaka and Beard only won 1 NCAA tourney game between them.

Yeah!

Tournament Terry continues to live up to his lofty name!

We sure are fortunate to have him.

:coolnana::coolnana::coolnana::coolnana:
:bevo::bevo::bevo::bevo:

When I attended Texas in the late 80's and early 90's it was "Tournament Tom" who basically got to live off a 1989 run to the elite 8 and a bunch of first round wins until a sweet 16 run happened in '97. He had 8 tournament appearances in his ten years and an overall record in the tourney of 10-8.

But the true title of "tournament __" for Texas really has to go to Rick Barnes. His later years were very frustrating but by far the most successful Texas coach in tournament history is Barnes with 16 tournament appearances in his 17 years at Texas that included 5 sweet 16's, 3 elite 8's and a Final Four. Throw in 3 other first round wins and his overall NCAA tournament record at Texas was 18-16.

With four wins in his first two years Terry is off to a good start but to get into Panders and Barnes level there needs to be some sustained success over a long period of time.

As a casual basketball fan Texas is not a fun watch in a tournament game...at least since Tom Penders coached here. Good defense, endless, seemingly pointless passing and basketballs clanking off the rim.

When I attended Texas in the late 80's and early 90's it was "Tournament Tom" who basically got to live off a 1989 run to the elite 8 and a bunch of first round wins until a sweet 16 run happened in '97. He had 8 tournament appearances in his ten years and an overall record in the tourney of 10-8.

But the true title of "tournament __" for Texas really has to go to Rick Barnes. His later years were very frustrating but by far the most successful Texas coach in tournament history is Barnes with 16 tournament appearances in his 17 years at Texas that included 5 sweet 16's, 3 elite 8's and a Final Four. Throw in 3 other first round wins and his overall NCAA tournament record at Texas was 18-16.

With four wins in his first two years Terry is off to a good start but to get into Panders and Barnes level there needs to be some sustained success over a long period of time.
At 10-8 and 18-16, these coaches averaged 1 NCAA victory per appearance. Frankly not that impressive. Terry is averaging 2 victories per appearance currently, which is a 100% improvement over Penders and Barnes.

In his first year with HIS team he went 21-13 and 1-2 in tourney play. Let's see what happens in year 2. I believe we see a further decline.

In his first year with HIS team he went 21-13 and 1-2 in tourney play. Let's see what happens in year 2. I believe we see a further decline.
Recruiting and portals are going to tell the tale. If we sign high level guys who decide to go pro again, we can expect another ho-hum season.

Sometimes I want to punch Gerry in the face, but I agree with him on this. The team was not prepared to handle what they knew Barnes would do to them. But most of the turnovers weren't even forced. And why has RT still done nothing about Brock's dirty play. That alone probably cost Texas the game.

On a night Tenn couldn't hit a barn from 5 ft. away, Texas still found a way to lose. And due to sloppy, sloppy play, most of it not forced.

Recruiting and portals are going to tell the tale. If we sign high level guys who decide to go pro again, we can expect another ho-hum season.
So the key is to sign the really good, but not elite, talent. Get a bunch of 8s and 9s, and pass on the 10s. It's upside-down with perverse incentives, but that's the reality the early draft has created for College B-Ball (and College Baseball).

So the key is to sign the really good, but not elite, talent. Get a bunch of 8s and 9s, and pass on the 10s. It's upside-down with perverse incentives, but that's the reality the early draft has created for College B-Ball (and College Baseball).

"Get a bunch of 3's and 4's, and pass on the 5's (stars)" is more like it. He has amassed some decent talent with new kids and portal picks to work around returners. Will be interesting to see what he does with them.

Back