The Texas OL -- The Trench Bosses

run blocking wasn't the issue, it was/is pass protection, particularly the guards.

Run blocking wasn’t particularly good early in the season. Pass pro was pretty solid. That flipped as the season wore on. But also KU and BU and even KState were not good against the run.

I would agree Guard play was the biggest issue this year.

We’re going to miss Karic in his big blocking TE role. Maybe one of the Freshman tackles next year can fill that role. It made a difference in short yardage situations.

We’re going to miss Karic in his big blocking TE role. Maybe one of the Freshman tackles next year can fill that role. It made a difference in short yardage situations.
Murphy reminds me of Roy Miller. He can probably take up that roll.

Murphy reminds me of Roy Miller. He can probably take up that roll.
Don’t you think Murphy will only play defense? He’ll be our best DT. Probably 1st team all conference DT. Maybe our 3rd or 4th OT—whichever is quickest, could be the big blocking TE like Karic is playing now.

Don’t you think Murphy will only play defense? He’ll be our best DT. Probably 1st team all conference DT. Maybe our 3rd or 4th OT—whichever is quickest, could be the big blocking TE like Karic is playing now.
The blocking TE is only used a few plays/game. Should be able to handle a few extra plays. There's depth at DT.

I dunno. I think I’m seeing Karic in there quite a bit.

Yeah Karic was more than just a short yardage guy. He found himself in pass pro quite a bit.

There’s also a pretty dig difference in TE blocking versus a short yardage FB lead blocker. One is a battering Ram whereas the other requires a little more technique.

Yeah Karic was more than just a short yardage guy. He found himself in pass pro quite a bit.

There’s also a pretty dig difference in TE blocking versus a short yardage FB lead blocker. One is a battering Ram whereas the other requires a little more technique.
Yes, Karic was on the end and often had to block LB and other hybrid rushers.

With Junior Angilau moving on, we should portal in a big, strong, upperclassman mauler at OG. Our young OGs show much promise, but I'm not sure if they will truly "arrive' by next year.

The blocking has been A+ thus far this year.

Flood has really put together an excellent unit. It takes some 3 or so years to build an OL, and Flood has done so.

Good pass protection, good run blocking, good pulling and blocking on-the-run.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

We’ve got some talented young OL who now have more experience under their belts. We also have some more good ones coming in. The pipeline is filling up and starting to deliver. This also means more competition. When we have a mostly Jr and Sr line with this talent, we may be looking something like the great Longhorn O-Lines of old. .

:bevo::bevo::bevo::bevo::bevo:
And this year, we're pretty much getting to see it come to fruition!

:bevo:

We'll lose an All-American after this year, and Jake Majors is also very good.

However, we're in re-load mode. The OL line might take a slight step down next year, but not by much.

Also, I guess our S&C coordinator, who has lived with a "?" by his name for the last few seasons, has proven to be quite good.

You don't get year after year good OLs and DLs without good S&C and development.

Also, I guess our S&C coordinator, who has lived with a "?" by his name for the last few seasons, has proven to be quite good.

You don't get year after year good OLs and DLs without good S&C and development.
Torre Becton--Football S&C Coach

1726322674153.png

Doing a good job--the results are showing up.

Ok. It's probably been since the 1970s or very early 1980s, but I think we're finally re-emerging as OLU. (Sharing the same campus and stadium as DBU.)

Center unlikely to go in first round, depending on his combine and maybe pro day, he is more likely to go late second to late third round. Majors was very good against the Michigan dt’s

"Jake Majors, C, RS sr.
A master technician, the 6-3, 315-pound veteran lacks heft but has plenty of good film that should appeal to NFL scouts."

"Lacks heft" - he's 315 lbs. That's big, even for an NFL Center. It's the most important position on the OL, even more so than LTs--who, per at least one expert's observation, typically have genius level intelligence.

Cam Williams will do a few false starts each game, just to fulfill the deep psychological needs of those who feel the need to b!tch about the OL.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back