The Texas OL -- The Trench Bosses

Now that we’ve given some excuses, what are you saying about the Oline?
Not much. I did say at beginning of the year to negate the inexperience of the freshman OL to throw the ball quickly to RB, TE, etc. to keep the defense from blitzing the QB every play. This indeed has happened (thanks for listening Sark!). Since misdirection and quick throws are still the bread and butter of the offense, it’s probably the scheme that is making the OL look better this year.

Not much. I did say at beginning of the year to negate the inexperience of the freshman OL to throw the ball quickly to RB, TE, etc. to keep the defense from blitzing the QB every play. This indeed has happened (thanks for listening Sark!). Since misdirection and quick throws are still the bread and butter of the offense, it’s probably the scheme that is making the OL look better this year.

Got you. When Sark is on, I’d take him over anyone ever on the quick throws/screen game. But it baffles me when it disappears. Lots of easy reads, easy QB throws.

When Sark is on top of his game (basically, the first half of games), we’re generally unpredictable, and we have opposing Ds off balance. That helps the OL and everything else about our O. We also pull a fair amount, and do the old “cross blocks/cross bucks”, which both help get our OL the advantage of good blocking angles.

Angilau was often devastating on the pull. Our very young OGs show much promise and are doing ok, but we do miss Angilau blowing up people on the pull and in short yardage blocking. He’s a classic interior mauler. It’s good that we’ve had such solid recruiting, as the Freshmen are doing all right, and the OL is looking better than it has since the mid Mack Brown regime.

Quinn has only been sacked 3 times this year, once against LA-Monroe and twice against Oklahoma St. Even when he's had accuracy issues, he's generally found the right guy and released the ball incredibly fast.

Quinn has only been sacked 3 times this year, once against LA-Monroe and twice against Oklahoma St. Even when he's had accuracy issues, he's generally found the right guy and released the ball incredibly fast.
Add to that Quinn has definitely internalized the idea of throwing it away instead of taking the sack. That's a better trait for such a young player than holding on too long. While he is occasionally too quick to throw it away, he will improve with experience, but for now this helps minimize his sack totals too.

It all came together for the OU game. Can the Horns be more consistent for the final 3 games?

When your skill set includes the ability to throw from any position and without your feet being set — and to do so within 3.1 seconds or less, you are an O-Line’s best friend. That’s Quinn Ewers.

Imagine trying to defend that, plus the best RB in the country, plus arguable the most explosive WR and perhaps the most complete TE in program history. If this offense sputters it has to either be because QE is having an off day (see OSU), or Sark is…

On the nine man front discussion, I just don’t understand the wisdom of trying to run. My gosh, fake to BR and throw a short pass to Sanders, Whittington, or someone else. And what I mean by short is 5 to 7 yards. How can anyone defend that with nine players in the box?

Agree on Banks at LT.

I don’t agree on Jones at RT, although in his defense, he’s better than plenty of OTs that we’ve trotted out there over the past few decades. He could still improve and seems to have the raw tools.

OGs we’re young. Very, very young. But you can see they’re pretty decent and will likely become real good.

C. Majors has one of the better first steps and quickness off the snap that we’ve seen at C for a long time. He also plays mean. Not Kasey Studdard level mean, but still mean. He’s prone to committing those annoying 5 yard procedure-type penalties though.

That’s my take on it. Overall, a competent OL. Something we’ve lacked over most of the last 10-15 years. We can actually run the offense with these guys up front.

:bevo::bevo::bevo::bevo::bevo:

If I am correct, the two centers on the '05 team were Jason Glynn and Lyle Sendlein. Both were bad asses. Studdard was at Left Guard I think. #63 Justin Blalock was a road grader at Tight Tackle. And Tony Hills and Jonathan Scott were rotating at Left Tackle. The best and most talented O Line TEXAS ever had!!

:tcu:

We will face Seniors Dylan Horton and Terrell Cooper on the ends of TCU’s D Front. Horton makes a living in opponents’ backfields, so keeping him in check will be a top priority.

In the middle at NT is a big, young 320 pounder—Damonic Williams.

Horton, Cooper, and Williams have performed well. It will be a challenge to control the trenches, or at a minimum, keep them in check.

This year, TCU mainly wins games by scoring lots and lots of points. But the Frog D, including a salty D front, is no joke. Of course, they haven’t faced anyone like Bijan.

If our OL performs adequately, and I think we will, we should be ok.

the big test is on our D.

If I am correct, the two centers on the '05 team were Jason Glynn and Lyle Sendlein. Both were bad asses. Studdard was at Left Guard I think. #63 Justin Blalock was a road grader at Tight Tackle. And Tony Hills and Jonathan Scott were rotating at Left Tackle. The best and most talented O Line TEXAS ever had!!

Will Allen and Studdard were the guards. Blalock and Scott at Tackle. Sendlein at Center. Glynn was 2004. Hills was the 3rd tackle but not much rotation.

Last edited:
One thing I know for sure. Interior line isn't strong enough to run QB sneak. We've tried it 2x now and it's gotten stoned both times. Pass blocking has been pretty damn good. Few breakdowns, but they happen. LT is a beast. By next year the line should be a strength of the team.
Freshmen and Sophomore at G-C-G. Not enough time in a college level strength program. That could be a factor. If you watch Majors though, he's quick off the ball, with a good first step, and usually really gets into the man across from him. But even Sophomore Majors can't manhandle and get a surge on some of the massive and monstrous beasts that show up at NT on our schedule. Blocking Coburn and Sweat, etc. makes for good practice, I bet.

Freshmen and Sophomore at G-C-G. Not enough time in a college level strength program. That could be a factor. If you watch Majors though, he's quick off the ball, with a good first step, and usually really gets into the man across from him. But even Sophomore Majors can't manhandle and get a surge on some of the massive and monstrous beasts that show up at NT on our schedule. Blocking Coburn and Sweat, etc. makes for good practice, I bet.

It would have been nice to have a healthy and even stronger Angilau rotating with Majors.

I like to read my own posts so here goes again.

But first I want to give kudos to Christian Jones. Relative to other dudes, I’m not sure how good you are. I have watched you closely enough to know I’m a fan of yours as a player. Unfortunately as a youth I was too talented to be a lineman so I’m less familiar with what you do as opposed to the skill guys. I am certain that your efforts on the field represent me. I hope you kick *** in life.

Numbers courtesy of football outsiders.com.

How do our advanced line stats compare to last year. I thought I’d refrain from personal commentary, but we’ll see how that goes. I looked during the season but did not write those down to note specific fluctuations. I feel confident in saying that pass pro worsened while the run blocking improved. As I compare, note that I am using rankings and not yards per or percentages.

2021 ranked higher (as in better) for average line yards, standard down line yards, power success rate and stuff rate. On wait, add pass downs sack rate here to although it’s largely a push.

2022 ranked higher in pass down line yards, sack rate, and standard downs sack rate. Our sack rate faltered quite a bit versus BU.

To hell with it, here’s my commentary. We were better in 2021. Both seasons had a critical injury. 2021 had everyone new to the system. 2022 had two new to the system guys. Yes I know they’re freshmen but that has no bearing here.

2021 we were top 20 in 4 categories. We were 12th in average line yards in spite of 4 opponents being top 20 on the defensive side (2 top 20 defenses this year to include UTSA). We were top 50 in the country in 7 of 9 categories. We were in the top 10% of teams in 3 of 9 categories.

2022, only in Opportunity rate we’re we top 20 (at 9). That did improve quite a bit over the past two weeks. We played 3 of the bottom 32 in the country in average line yards (and remember only two top 20 units). Only two in that bottom tier in 2021. We were in the top 50 in 8 of 9 categories but only in top 10% in 1.

A little more about the sack rates. Bama ranked tied for 15th in sack rate. Our next highest 2022 opponent was Tech at 40. In 2021, we played 3 top 20 defenses in sack rate including number no. 5. Then KState and ULaLa were higher than 2022 Tech. On the bottom 2022 had 4 opponents ranked 99 or worse. 2021 had 3 ranked 97th or worse. Then also consider that Card (2.79 to 3.55) got rid of the ball way quicker in 2022 and that Ewers (3.47 secs versus CT at 2.71) was very quick at chunking it you should find it hard to believe that pass pro was better in 2022 versus 2021. In 2021, there’s no doubt we struggled on play action pass pro. That’s where we’ve improved.

The final note in the comparison shows that opportunity rate is comparable year over year. 53.8% to 54.3% to favor 2022. 17th overall to 9th overall. For 2022 to 2021 our stuff rate worsened considerably from 12.8% to 16.2%. 13th to 45th. The Power Success rate fell off from 73.3% to 65.5% or 43rd to 88th. I suppose there are subjective arguments as to whether Bijan and Roschon are better this year and how that impacts some of these numbers. The power success rate and stuff rate do not involve subjectivity regarding pass or fail.

Our 2021 faced much more chaotic defenses than the 2022 version. The metrics presented here reflect that they were not only better, but they were good relative to their peers in spite of the newness to the system.

I absolutely believe the future is bright so do not view this as a knock on program direction or talent deficiencies. Just spare me a little bs on the lack of talent, poor line play.

We’ve got some talented young OL who now have more experience under their belts. We also have some more good ones coming in. The pipeline is filling up and starting to deliver. This also means more competition. When we have a mostly Jr and Sr line with this talent, we may be looking something like the great Longhorn O-Lines of old. .

:bevo::bevo::bevo::bevo::bevo:

I like to read my own posts so here goes again.

But first I want to give kudos to Christian Jones. Relative to other dudes, I’m not sure how good you are. I have watched you closely enough to know I’m a fan of yours as a player. Unfortunately as a youth I was too talented to be a lineman so I’m less familiar with what you do as opposed to the skill guys. I am certain that your efforts on the field represent me. I hope you kick *** in life.

Numbers courtesy of football outsiders.com.

How do our advanced line stats compare to last year. I thought I’d refrain from personal commentary, but we’ll see how that goes. I looked during the season but did not write those down to note specific fluctuations. I feel confident in saying that pass pro worsened while the run blocking improved. As I compare, note that I am using rankings and not yards per or percentages.

2021 ranked higher (as in better) for average line yards, standard down line yards, power success rate and stuff rate. On wait, add pass downs sack rate here to although it’s largely a push.

2022 ranked higher in pass down line yards, sack rate, and standard downs sack rate. Our sack rate faltered quite a bit versus BU.

To hell with it, here’s my commentary. We were better in 2021. Both seasons had a critical injury. 2021 had everyone new to the system. 2022 had two new to the system guys. Yes I know they’re freshmen but that has no bearing here.

2021 we were top 20 in 4 categories. We were 12th in average line yards in spite of 4 opponents being top 20 on the defensive side (2 top 20 defenses this year to include UTSA). We were top 50 in the country in 7 of 9 categories. We were in the top 10% of teams in 3 of 9 categories.

2022, only in Opportunity rate we’re we top 20 (at 9). That did improve quite a bit over the past two weeks. We played 3 of the bottom 32 in the country in average line yards (and remember only two top 20 units). Only two in that bottom tier in 2021. We were in the top 50 in 8 of 9 categories but only in top 10% in 1.

A little more about the sack rates. Bama ranked tied for 15th in sack rate. Our next highest 2022 opponent was Tech at 40. In 2021, we played 3 top 20 defenses in sack rate including number no. 5. Then KState and ULaLa were higher than 2022 Tech. On the bottom 2022 had 4 opponents ranked 99 or worse. 2021 had 3 ranked 97th or worse. Then also consider that Card (2.79 to 3.55) got rid of the ball way quicker in 2022 and that Ewers (3.47 secs versus CT at 2.71) was very quick at chunking it you should find it hard to believe that pass pro was better in 2022 versus 2021. In 2021, there’s no doubt we struggled on play action pass pro. That’s where we’ve improved.

The final note in the comparison shows that opportunity rate is comparable year over year. 53.8% to 54.3% to favor 2022. 17th overall to 9th overall. For 2022 to 2021 our stuff rate worsened considerably from 12.8% to 16.2%. 13th to 45th. The Power Success rate fell off from 73.3% to 65.5% or 43rd to 88th. I suppose there are subjective arguments as to whether Bijan and Roschon are better this year and how that impacts some of these numbers. The power success rate and stuff rate do not involve subjectivity regarding pass or fail.

Our 2021 faced much more chaotic defenses than the 2022 version. The metrics presented here reflect that they were not only better, but they were good relative to their peers in spite of the newness to the system.

I absolutely believe the future is bright so do not view this as a knock on program direction or talent deficiencies. Just spare me a little bs on the lack of talent, poor line play.
Playing 2 true frosh on the OL is going to dent your performance.

Playing 2 true frosh on the OL is going to dent your performance.

It wasn’t about the impact true frosh had but how 2021 compared to 2022 for the entire unit. Yes, two true frosh impact things. But Banks season would rank where amongst all linemen in the past 10 seasons? Higher than many non-freshmen so the negates part of that argument.

I’ve read various posts on various websites for some months stating 2022 was better than 2021. I’ve been one to comment that 2021 was pretty solid. Here are the numbers to support that. What I hadn’t looked into until now is that we ran up against some solid run fronts in 2021. I already knew our opponents were great at creating negative plays and getting after the QB.

Baylor and OSU losing so many defenders was incredibly significant according to the numbers and resultant rankings.

And Jones has been getting better over the course of the year. Perhaps next year he will "arrive." Banks is already there. Majors, pretty much. The young guards should be stronger next year after the off season. Things are looking up.

It wasn’t about the impact true frosh had but how 2021 compared to 2022 for the entire unit. Yes, two true frosh impact things. But Banks season would rank where amongst all linemen in the past 10 seasons? Higher than many non-freshmen so the negates part of that argument.

I’ve read various posts on various websites for some months stating 2022 was better than 2021. I’ve been one to comment that 2021 was pretty solid. Here are the numbers to support that. What I hadn’t looked into until now is that we ran up against some solid run fronts in 2021. I already knew our opponents were great at creating negative plays and getting after the QB.

Baylor and OSU losing so many defenders was incredibly significant according to the numbers and resultant rankings.
run blocking wasn't the issue, it was/is pass protection, particularly the guards.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back