The Texas OL -- The Trench Bosses

Chop

10,000+ Posts
It seems to me that our OL has progressed to at least the slightly above average level as a whole. This is a sizable jump from where we’ve been in recent years. Here’s how I see it position-by-position thus far this year:

LT - strong
OGs - average to a tad above average
C - above average, but prone to make the occasional dumb mistake
RT - still needs a lot of work

Overall, this is MUCH BETTER than the blocking we’ve endured for a good decade or more.

:bevo::bevo::bevo:

Kelvin Banks might be an all American. Like no joke. He’s shut down 3 all American ends. and Christian Jones has improved to the point of being a draft pick. Inner line is the weakness but improving and re-enforcements and lots of young talent stepping up next year. If we had Angilou at center this year it would be even better. But props to Majors.

Kelvin Banks might be an all American. Like no joke. He’s shut down 3 all American ends. and Christian Jones has improved to the point of being a draft pick. Inner line is the weakness but improving and re-enforcements and lots of young talent stepping up next year. If we had Angilou at center this year it would be even better. But props to Majors.
Agree on Banks at LT.

I don’t agree on Jones at RT, although in his defense, he’s better than plenty of OTs that we’ve trotted out there over the past few decades. He could still improve and seems to have the raw tools.

OGs we’re young. Very, very young. But you can see they’re pretty decent and will likely become real good.

C. Majors has one of the better first steps and quickness off the snap that we’ve seen at C for a long time. He also plays mean. Not Kasey Studdard level mean, but still mean. He’s prone to committing those annoying 5 yard procedure-type penalties though.

That’s my take on it. Overall, a competent OL. Something we’ve lacked over most of the last 10-15 years. We can actually run the offense with these guys up front.

:bevo::bevo::bevo::bevo::bevo:

Agree on Banks at LT.

I don’t agree on Jones at RT, although in his defense, he’s better than plenty of OTs that we’ve trotted out there over the past few decades. He could still improve and seems to have the raw tools.

OGs we’re young. Very, very young. But you can see they’re pretty decent and will likely become real good.

C. Majors has one of the better first steps and quickness off the snap that we’ve seen at C for a long time. He’s prone to committing those annoying 5 yard procedure-type penalties though.
Jones was maybe the worst LT in every game we played last year. He’s made leaps and bounds this year and he moves people. He had 2 obvious bust last night. He will be on an NFL roster. He’s too big a human and too athletic to not get a shot. Props to Kyle Flood. Hutchinson and Conner will improve. We really did a good job finally of getting a solid talented class of big humans. They will have to be better next year without Bijan Rojo.

Jones has raw ability. He’s better than last year. But he still whiffs pretty bad at times.

Meanwhile Karic has gone from being a liability at OT to becoming a very good blocking TE. Karic has been a substantial part of our successful running game this year. The coaches are using him well.

In my opinion, Banks presence has led to most of the improvement in the line as we no longer have to give any assistance to that side of the line. This frees up the other four to help each other. Jones has a few (very few) flashes of competence but he inexplicably blocks air way to often when the defender closest to him runs right by him and if there are more than one it looks like he can’t decide and blocks neither. With his size he might play guard in the nfl, no way he plays tackle. Next year the line should be a plus factor with the experience of the talented underclass players and the talented newcomers and most importantly being in the same system with a very good o-line coach. Bijan could win the heisman next year behind what the line should be, but as a running back he needs to go get paid (even more than he is now). He will be as valuable, if not more so, than McCaffery is.

We all forget sometimes that Jones is very late to football and his improvement has been phenomenal but he still has so much growth ahead. He will make a lot of money at the next level.

We all forget sometimes that Jones is very late to football and his improvement has been phenomenal but he still has so much growth ahead. He will make a lot of money at the next level.
And if the NFL doesn’t pan out, there’s always pro wrestling.

Banks is the real deal but will be gone to NFL early. Three years of being our best OL in a decade is better than none.

I would like to have lunch across the table from whomever thought it was a good idea to pull Jones on that trap play. I guess we were trying to trap our QB or RB because the DL had the guy with ball wrapped up before Jones cleared the center. I hope the young man improves (plenty of room), but I hate to see his OJT during a game which is still in doubt.

Read or not because this is long. If you choose not to do so, it is because you wish to remain Ill informed.

You ignore stats and make up **** to fit your narratives. Last year, we had to go up against defenses that created pressure. We played 2 DFEI top 10 rated defenses last year. Before this weekend, there were three for this season. OSU/BU compared to ISU/KSU this year. The Bama that gave up half a 100 to the Vols and Tech are the other top 25 opponents. Last year ISU/KSU were also top 25.

Incomplete data but this year our opponents TFL rankings have OU tied at 10th. KSU was tied for 46th and our 5th opponent in the top 50. Last year, we went against 6 of the top 37 including OSU at #2. BU may have been top 10. Lots of draft picks from OU, BU and OSU last year. All three of those defenses/teams were clearly better last year.

Point being is many equate poor play to these negative plays created. Well sometimes that’s what the other team does.

Individual sackers. We’ve played 3 of the top 25 this year. We’ll play 2 more in the top 50. Last year we played two of the top 14. I gave up looking for a more comprehensive list. The Big 12 has some very good pass rushers this year. Last year was better. Guys better at the 2nd level for BU and OSU. From a team perspective this year, only two of our opponents are in the top 50. Bama at 10. KSU tied at 32.

Advanced line stats from last year say we’re way better run blocking last year than this. We’re better pass protecting this year but some of that is Ewers just letting it fly and likely less imposing defenses. And basically our sack rate was substantially worse on run downs but a more modest improvement on pass downs. And truth be told that difference may be as much on the QB as line play. On the sack rate on pass downs, we are 1.5 sacks per 100 passes better than last year.

Last year, Thompson was at 3.30 second time to throw when pressured. Card was 4.14. This year Ewers is at 3.05. Card at 3.91.

When kept clean, Card is 2.28. Ewers is at 2.36.
Last year, Thompson 2.44. Card 3.14.

Our QBs are clearly a tick quicker getting rid of the ball this year helping the sack rate.

We’re averaging less than 1 point per game more this year than last. Pretty confident that comes from more defensive/special teams points.

Best available information would imply Angilau was not going to start at C. And I see people still giving Jones unwarranted grief. Focus on the miscommunications but ignore him walling off the entirety of the left side of Dline. And I’ll whip anyones *** if they want to blame him for that last 3rd down play last night.

Also when evaluating the Oline it should be fair to consider that Bijan and Roschon are likely better as more experienced. Sanders is more talented than our guys last year. Worthy and Whitt should be better too. Year two in the same system helps as well. We had no healthy QBs to end the WVU game and only 1 semi-healthy QB into KSU last year. All factors that should help the Oline this year.

There’s lots of upside from here and possibly thru end of season. But there’s lots of data to say we’re not even better than last year.

Anyway thanks for playing.

Read or not because this is long. If you choose not to do so, it is because you wish to remain Ill informed.

You ignore stats and make up **** to fit your narratives. Last year, we had to go up against defenses that created pressure. We played 2 DFEI top 10 rated defenses last year. Before this weekend, there were three for this season. OSU/BU compared to ISU/KSU this year. The Bama that gave up half a 100 to the Vols and Tech are the other top 25 opponents. Last year ISU/KSU were also top 25.

Incomplete data but this year our opponents TFL rankings have OU tied at 10th. KSU was tied for 46th and our 5th opponent in the top 50. Last year, we went against 6 of the top 37 including OSU at #2. BU may have been top 10. Lots of draft picks from OU, BU and OSU last year. All three of those defenses/teams were clearly better last year.

Point being is many equate poor play to these negative plays created. Well sometimes that’s what the other team does.

Individual sackers. We’ve played 3 of the top 25 this year. We’ll play 2 more in the top 50. Last year we played two of the top 14. I gave up looking for a more comprehensive list. The Big 12 has some very good pass rushers this year. Last year was better. Guys better at the 2nd level for BU and OSU. From a team perspective this year, only two of our opponents are in the top 50. Bama at 10. KSU tied at 32.

Advanced line stats from last year say we’re way better run blocking last year than this. We’re better pass protecting this year but some of that is Ewers just letting it fly and likely less imposing defenses. And basically our sack rate was substantially worse on run downs but a more modest improvement on pass downs. And truth be told that difference may be as much on the QB as line play. On the sack rate on pass downs, we are 1.5 sacks per 100 passes better than last year.

Last year, Thompson was at 3.30 second time to throw when pressured. Card was 4.14. This year Ewers is at 3.05. Card at 3.91.

When kept clean, Card is 2.28. Ewers is at 2.36.
Last year, Thompson 2.44. Card 3.14.

Our QBs are clearly a tick quicker getting rid of the ball this year helping the sack rate.

We’re averaging less than 1 point per game more this year than last. Pretty confident that comes from more defensive/special teams points.

Best available information would imply Angilau was not going to start at C. And I see people still giving Jones unwarranted grief. Focus on the miscommunications but ignore him walling off the entirety of the left side of Dline. And I’ll whip anyones *** if they want to blame him for that last 3rd down play last night.

Also when evaluating the Oline it should be fair to consider that Bijan and Roschon are likely better as more experienced. Sanders is more talented than our guys last year. Worthy and Whitt should be better too. Year two in the same system helps as well. We had no healthy QBs to end the WVU game and only 1 semi-healthy QB into KSU last year. All factors that should help the Oline this year.

There’s lots of upside from here and possibly thru end of season. But there’s lots of data to say we’re not even better than last year.

Anyway thanks for playing.
This is an excellent and appreciated breakdown. It’s hard to argue with the numbers, and Ewers quick trigger is a huge factor, as mentioned.

The OL just seems like a more cohesive unit, and clearly Banks is all we had hoped for, and more. I believe that he has allowed only one sack, and it was not against either of the All-American rush ends he has faced.

I am not going to watch the recording to see what happened on "the last third down", but he made enough other errors (although being fat & slow is not an error"). That attempted trap (pulling all the way down the line of scrimmage) is truly one of the worst executions of a play call I've seen n over 50 years of following Texas football. I would love to be wrong because he seems like a good kid, and obviously we don't have anyone better. That said, I strongly suggest finding Dana Leduc to see if he can turn the kid into Brian Mallard or Mike Ruether.

One thing I know for sure. Interior line isn't strong enough to run QB sneak. We've tried it 2x now and it's gotten stoned both times. Pass blocking has been pretty damn good. Few breakdowns, but they happen. LT is a beast. By next year the line should be a strength of the team.

Good analysis, Your Wrong. My personal source of amazement being that we seem to have discovered the TE is an eligible receiver. Sanders maybe/become our best in 40 years. That will put that nine-in-the-box to rest. I am annoyed we can’t have an automatic audible every time we see that

Chop,

With Sark's tendency to put him at WB, then pull him across on a trap, I wonder if there may be plans to move him to OT next year or even OG?

I am not going to watch the recording to see what happened on "the last third down", but he made enough other errors (although being fat & slow is not an error"). That attempted trap (pulling all the way down the line of scrimmage) is truly one of the worst executions of a play call I've seen n over 50 years of following Texas football. I would love to be wrong because he seems like a good kid, and obviously we don't have anyone better. That said, I strongly suggest finding Dana Leduc to see if he can turn the kid into Brian Mallard or Mike Ruether.
I wonder if LeDuc would come back as a “consultant” for strength training…? Input and $$ without the stress of actually being the coach. Sort of like what Patterson is doing.

I don't know if enough people have died for him to come back. Plenty of people were pretty nasty to him, never realizing that they had bet on the wrong horse.

I don't know if enough people have died for him to come back. Plenty of people were pretty nasty to him, never realizing that they had bet on the wrong horse.
I wasn’t involved in the program other than as a fan. But I remember stories of almost freakish bench press and squat numbers for our Linemen under LeDuc’s tutelage.

Last edited:
I wasn’t involved in the program other than as a fan. But I remember stories of almost freakish bench press and squat numbers for our Linemen u see LeDuc’s tutelage.
We were just plain stronger than opponents in the trenches. And we pushed them around up front. We’d even win the line of scrimmage battles most of the time against some of the saltiest OU teams. You could probably find old videos online of guys like Shearer and DeGrate utterly dominating the line of scrimmage. Then there’s our OL. Talk about the old 3 yard surge. It’s not just a coach’s fantasy.

We had 6-7 linemen benching over 500.

I had two high school kids in Houston who were honor students but whose fathers had lost their jobs. They were too small to play D-1 or even Sam/SFA level. I called Dana and he had me bring them to Austin to meet him. That day, he worked with them, gave both workouts to improve their speed and strength. During the middle of their workout, a guy came in for his usual workout and told the kids, "I'm small-town kid from South Texas, too small, too slow to play D-1 football. Four years at Texas, and I'm about to start my 13th year in the NFL because of that man right there." Then, Steve McMichael proceeded to let them watch him bench 515.

FWIW, both those kids got scholarships to schools that "don't provide athletic scholarships", played four years of football & graduated.

Thompson connected better on the long ball last year whereas Ewers hasn’t come close. If Ewers connects on long balls the offense will be 10 points better than last year.

Sark basically admitted after the game that he didn't trust Quinn to protect the ball. He thought his best job was protecting the lead all 2nd half by going super conservative.

If he is going to win at Texas he has to get past that. If Ewers isn't good enough to make plays down the stretch then the outcome is determined before the game even starts.

This is an excellent and appreciated breakdown. It’s hard to argue with the numbers, and Ewers quick trigger is a huge factor, as mentioned.

The OL just seems like a more cohesive unit, and clearly Banks is all we had hoped for, and more. I believe that he has allowed only one sack, and it was not against either of the All-American rush ends he has faced.

I get where that idea originates. Last year, we had lots of communication whiffs it seemed. Our sack rate was considerably lower in passing situations than run downs last year. That’s counter to what you’d think. That says to me it was not a talent issue. I mean when they know you’re passing they’re coming after you. Previously I had looked at all Big 12 QBs from last year and only Thompson was sacked more on play action than non-play action attempts. A very drastic difference too.

Our run blocking was quite good last year in my opinion. Until rather late in the season our top 4 guys were averaging over 6 per rush. Our QBs and WRs really left a lot on the table from OSU on. And our pass pro from Baylor on was pretty good excepting 2nd half ISU. And I’m confident in saying that peoples impressions of the Oline last year are way off base in regards to the OU game. We had one miserable series but were good otherwise. KU did have two impactful plays rushing the passer. That spare part for KU now resides on an NFL roster.

Jones is not an LT. Banks is. Losing Angilau was big in my opinion as was losing Okafor last year.

I am not going to watch the recording to see what happened on "the last third down", but he made enough other errors (although being fat & slow is not an error")..

You seem to have a considerable amount of knowledge and a historical perspective on things.

But that’s a bit personal regarding Jones. And in my opinion inaccurate.

My guess one of those “errors” was everyone blocking left when we only had 5 to block 6. He may have screwed up but that’s more on the savior QB.

And I’ll agree with you to an extent on the execution in which he pulled. It was 3rd and 2. Nine defenders within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. He did get his block by the way on that one although it’s possible he hindered the timing.

Thompson connected better on the long ball last year whereas Ewers hasn’t come close. If Ewers connects on long balls the offense will be 10 points better than last year.

Well yeah as hornde said we’ve got potentially the best TE we’ve had in years. Bijan, Keilan, Whitt are all healthier this year. Most of the guys are in year 2 of the system. Banks is doing work.

We missed quite a few opportunities last year. Pick 6 instead of a 3 score lead versus OSU. Could have at least 28 points versus BU in half 1. Multiple misfires of wide open targets at ISU. 4 turnovers versus KU. Awful QB play early versus WVU.

Now that we’ve given some excuses, what are you saying about the Oline?

If he is going to win at Texas he has to get past that. If Ewers isn't good enough to make plays down the stretch then the outcome is determined before the game even starts.
This is why 8-4 was everyone’s estimate for this year.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back