Texas @ Baylor 02/01/2024

Jak continues to earn trust and minutes. With that said, she definitely made a couple of less than perfect decisions, but those can be worked with.

She wasn't perfect but I'm giving a high five to Mwenentanda. I thought her length on the perimeter cut down some of the 3s they might have attempted and I thought she played within herself and gave some defensive effort with movement that Gaston didn't necessarily give.
Agree about Mwenentanda. So glad to see her playing and contributing. The team so desperately needs guard minutes off the bench. I hope Gaston can get some mojo back. It has to be hard with both Moore and Muhammad playing the same position. And after being All Big 12 a year ago.

I told Danny Davis that they should have asked if Vic would use the zone again. He said they'd ask later.

I don't know anything about basketball defense, but why does Vic dislike it so much?

Glad to get the win tonight especially in Baylor's new arena. For all we know, this could be the first and last time we ever play there!

And, so glad Vic is slowly making some changes strategically that can help this particular team on the court.

Tough to win a game in this day an age when you only make one 3-point basket. But, seems like the trio of Booker, Jones, and Moore more than made up for it insiide the arc.

I told Danny Davis that they should have asked if Vic would use the zone again. He said they'd ask later.

I don't know anything about basketball defense, but why does Vic dislike it so much?
Vic calls it “Hope you miss defense” because it leaves you open to mid and outside shots more so than man to man. He knows how much better athletes have gotten at shooting away from the basket. IMO, man to man is the better play especially with a press IF you have the right players. Vic usually does. This year injuries changed that.

In my opinion, it is because when Vic has the (uninjured) athletes he prefers, he likes to play high pressure defense to wear down the opponent mentally as much or more than physically.

Players get tired of constantly being pestered and harassed. It leads to frustration and mental errors (which lead to more frustration, etc.) and that isn't so easy to create when playing a zone defense. You can frustrate offenses via a good zone defense, but you really can't recreate the mental stress on a floor leader like you can if you tell Rori to go live inside her jersey for the next two hours.

It’s always fun to read the comments after the game because we often (myself included) get it so wrong in the heat of the moment.

• Baylor’s largest lead was 7 (early in the first half)
  • They had a 15-0 run but we had a 14-0 run
  • We out scored them in the paint by 20
  • We held them to 35% shooting vs our 48%
  • Jones almost had a double double with 14/9 plus 4 steals
  • Holle had 5 steals
  • We out rebounded them 40-34
  • Both teams had 20 fouls
  • We out scored them in quarters 2,3 and 4
  • Booker, Jones and Moore scored as much as Baylor’s entire team
:smile1:

Last edited:
In my opinion, it is because when Vic has the (uninjured) athletes he prefers, he likes to play high pressure defense to wear down the opponent mentally as much or more than physically.

Players get tired of constantly being pestered and harassed. It leads to frustration and mental errors (which lead to more frustration, etc.) and that isn't so easy to create when playing a zone defense. You can frustrate offenses via a good zone defense, but you really can't recreate the mental stress on a floor leader like you can if you tell Rori to go live inside her jersey for the next two hours.

Spot on!!!

Vic calls it “Hope you miss defense” because it leaves you open to mid and outside shots more so than man to man. He knows how much better athletes have gotten at shooting away from the basket. IMO, man to man is the better play especially with a press IF you have the right players. Vic usually does. This year injuries changed that.
I'm not a fan of zone defense either, but I do like switching up with a matchup zone like we have done. That's not your typical "hope you miss" zone, and I'm glad he's gotten that out of his head somewhat. It is serving us well right now with the length that we have. KSU has been successful with that defense also.

That was a great win. I didn't realize Amo was going to be such a great player. You think, how can she get off a shot against taller defenders, and then she does and makes it. When it is badly clogged up inside, I wish our 4 and 5 would think about passing the ball back out for the guards to take a three now and then. They rarely do, just keep trying to get another shot up regardless. Of course that works pretty well a lot of the time. But we need three's in our game, especially when Shaylee and Shay are hitting it so well (not so much last night). I loved that Madison took and made a three. Kudos to Vic -- I never thought he would do it, incorporate a zone. I didn't know he had that much flexibility in him.

It’s always fun to read the comments after the game because we often (myself included) get it so wrong in the heat of the moment.

• Holle had 5 steals

Great post. This game should pull back the ledge jumpers. Until our next game anyway.

I am concerned about the disappearance of Holle and Gonzales offensively. We may pull out a win now and then but can we make a national run being one dimensional offensively ?
Time will tell

Last edited:
It’s always fun to read the comments after the game because we often (myself included) get it so wrong in the heat of the moment
  • Holle had 5 steals
This can't be overemphasized. Shay is always doing the little things that make a big difference.

I woulda add, the turnover number really wasn't that bad, inflated by some BS charging calls. Some were legit, but about 4 were total BS.

liked that Vic linked how great Madison's performance wearig #35 is comparing it to KD.
Wouldn't surprise me if Kevin responds. We know he follows Horn sports

This can't be overemphasized. Shay is always doing the little things that make a big difference.

I woulda add, the turnover number really wasn't that bad, inflated by some BS charging calls. Some were legit, but about 4 were total BS.
Although Gonzalez and Holle may not have scored, I saw quite a few advantageous hustle plays they made that don't show up in the box. They played hard the entire time.

Great post. This game should pull back the ledge jumpers. Until our next game anyway.

I am concerned bot the disappearance of Holle and Gonzales offensively. We may pull out a win now and then but can we make a national run being one dimensional offensively ?
Time will tell
Holle was in for the full 40 minutes. Obviously, Vic needed her for everything-but-offense and kept her in. The quiet glue that holds the team together.

Shaylee—I’m not criticizing, just relaying—seems to do a fair amount of questioning the foul calls made against her. In particular, there was one blocking call against her in the second half about which she spoke up. The male ref made that call and in response to Shaylee’s protest, whipped his head in her direction and seemed to say, “Stop talking to me!” Anyone else notice that?

She appeared to take the rebuke in stride. Seemed to remember one of the okie state commentators mentioning and admiring Shaylee’s hutzpah (sp?) in this regard.

I really like this kid. Wish her scoring was more productive, but like Shay, she just puts her head down and goes to work.

Really a fun game for Horns last night. Went with 8 Bear alumnae and a lot of good natured trash talk before game. Most of the game Horns took fans out. Baylor fans were gracious and nice, although passionate. Not as many Horns fan as I was supposing. Holle was great although only scored two. I like the new stadium although not finished. Now on to KState.

And it was SURE quiet at end of game on the ride back to Carrollton. Fans are not too happy with guard oriented team with Mulkey always an inside game team.

Shaylee—I’m not criticizing, just relaying—seems to do a fair amount of questioning the foul calls made against her. In particular, there was one blocking call against her in the second half about which she spoke up. The male ref made that call and in response to Shaylee’s protest, whipped his head in her direction and seemed to say, “Stop talking to me!” Anyone else notice that?

She appeared to take the rebuke in stride. Seemed to remember one of the okie state commentators mentioning and admiring Shaylee’s hutzpah (sp?) in this regard.

I really like this kid. Wish her scoring was more productive, but like Shay, she just puts her head down and goes to work.

Yep, I saw the same interaction. Shaylee took it in stride.

I'm not sure it was the same play but Shaylee got charged for a block when she clearly had position and it should have been a charge against the Baylor player.

Yep, I saw the same interaction. Shaylee took it in stride.

I'm not sure it was the same play but Shaylee got charged for a block when she clearly had position and it should have been a charge against the Baylor player.
Betting that’s the same play . . .

During the press conference, a reporter asked Vic about possible future games between BU and Texas. Vic was noncommittal. What do folks think? Also, Vic mentioned Texas and UConn are discussing possible future match-ups.

• Holle had 5 steals
I beleive it was you who correctly predicted this outcome...well done!

During the press conference, a reporter asked Vic about possible future games between BU and Texas. Vic was noncommittal. What do folks think? Also, Vic mentioned Texas and UConn are discussing possible future match-ups.
UConn yes

I didn’t realize until the announcers pointed out last night that all 20 of Texas wins are by double digits.

So were the giant cupcake cutouts in the student section to signify that the Longhorns are cupcakes on their schedule or something more clever?

Recent Threads

Back