Speaker McCarthy Ousted

I think Massie as Speaker would be way more consequential than Jordan. Not sure exactly what he would be able to do but I would expect him to reduce spending overall and end all foreign aid (if not 90%). I think he may also defund bureaucracies.

I have to be fair Deez. I went back and looked at the CR that was on the table. It did look like a step in the right direction. 8% spending cut would be a great start. At the same time, I do know that other Republicans thought McCarthy had betrayed them because he had slipped in a money to Ukraine behind their backs. Personal politics was involved, but personal politics that I have to agree with. If Jordan does get elected and they get the same CR deal without the money to Ukraine, then it would be a step better than McCarthy, but that all remains to be seen.

So he passes a budget through the House that defunds a bunch of agencies, dramatically cuts spending, and gets rid of foreign aid and Ukraine funding (assuming he can get the votes in the House to do that, which is doubtful). It goes to the Senate where Democrats kill it and pass their own budget that keeps spending. What does Massie and/or Jordan do next?

The point is that passing these budgets that make fundamental changes sounds great, but a lot of people seem to think we can pass budgets by the power of our will. We need votes to do it. We need a president who will sign it. We have neither, and it's pointless to pretend we do.

There's also a fundamental conflict on the substance. We got rid of the Paul Ryans of the conference because we thought they were too cuckish and wimpy. However, we didn't replace them with budget hardliners. We replaced them with MAGA-types. Well, I've seen no evidence that MAGA supports cutting any big ticket items. They supported more military spending and oppose all cuts and reforms to entitlements. So though there has been plenty of tough talk, when we're talking about actual big ticket budget items that make a real difference, we've largely run on big spending. The talk had nothing behind it.

I'd be happy just with passing individual appropriations bills for the various agencies and entitlement programs. But that's never done - instead, as per this year, actual spending bills aren't passed, on purpose. Then an "emergency" CR bill to fund the 1% of the government that won't continue on without it, kicking the can down the road to the holidays.

A couple of staged floor fights over spending bills, fake drama, then suddenly, out of nowhere, there's a 3000 page Omnibus bill, that's been written in secret all year by staffers and lobbyist, that's presented to the floor with 28 minutes to read it before it's voted on, otherwise we'd all die or something.

Everyone vows to never to it again, but it's all a lie, and come January, the staffers and lobbyists begin work on the next Omnibus.

It's all a fraud, and you're the sucker if you think anything but the 3000 page Omnibus is the plan all along.

Individual bills sound nice, but they'd nearly all fail because only a small group would like the program in question on the bill. Same thing happens on a small scale. A large school district with a bond saying upgrade a single school would fail because all the voters with kids in other schools would say no. Thus, the bond has multiple upgrades at schools spread around the district to increase the odds of getting passed.

Individual bills sound nice, but they'd nearly all fail because only a small group would like the program in question on the bill. Same thing happens on a small scale. A large school district with a bond saying upgrade a single school would fail because all the voters with kids in other schools would say no. Thus, the bond has multiple upgrades at schools spread around the district to increase the odds of getting passed.

Hey you don't have to convince me. I already like individual spending bills.

Honestly who cares? Congress is only there to line their own pockets. We were all much better off when they couldn’t conduct business.

Biden and McCarthy used to have breakfast together all the time. If you think this is going to be the same thing you're in for a treat.

Again, what could he have done but didn't? As usual, nobody has an answer.

He could have not been a compromising hypocrite and address the fiscal problems of the government.

Republicans have been the bait and switch party for 50 years at least.

Again, what could he have done but didn't? As usual, nobody has an answer.

He could have passed a budget.

He was billed as a budget wiz kid who could tell you what day, month, and year Medicare went insolvent, and correctly pointed out how huge budget deficits were going to ruin the future of the country.

He was gifted, though no work or accomplishment of his own, with a R House, Senate, and White House in 2017. He'd been Speaker for two years so knew the details of the job.

He proceeded to accomplish nothing in all of 2017, didn't pass a budget, and like his previous years as Speaker, pushed out a 2000 page Omnibus written in secret, passed with 28 minutes of debate, and passed using Democrat votes.

Next year, he did push out the Holy Grain of the GOP Establishment - tax cuts for upper income and corporations. With predictable, GOP losing the House, results.

Ryan was a failure on so many levels, I'm not sure why you seem to think he was wronged due to those meanies.

Last edited:
Back