Speaker McCarthy Ousted

That's not my understanding. What I read is that CRs automatically grow spending by an automatic percentage. There was a bill to change that but it either didn't pass or wasn't voted on.

Again. What I read said CRs are always increases and didn't differentiate this one. The only time spending was cut was when Cruz forced the same issue in Obama's early years and they had to go into Sequestor mode.

Much of this is happening because of the CRs they keep passing. I can't comment on Gaetz personally. I don't know his motivations. I do know that the same things were said about Cruz a decade ago. Turned out he was doing the right thing then. So I don't trust the narrative now that is used against those on the Right.

A CR usually holds spending levels in place. However, they can also make funding conditional on budget cuts like what McCarthy pitched a few weeks ago until Gaetz and his crew killed it.

Also, the sequestration was negotiated as part of a debt ceiling deal. Similar but not identical issue as this. And Cruz didn't do the same thing. He did not try to take out his leader, and he had a policy agenda behind his actions. Gaetz does not.

Not so. There are establishment types who are self-promoters, and there are non-establishment types who are not.

And the only thing Gaetz is fighting is to be in front of a camera. He's not fighting for any political or ideological cause. That's why he doesn't have an alternative.

And we need to examine what it means to "fight." Bitching in the wind and helping Democrats isn't fighting. Winning elections and passing legislation is fighting.

To get a better Speaker is a win. If Gaetz is such a self promoter I don't understand why he never tries to build a coalition around himself for the job.

Yeah, I see how well winning elections by the establishment guys are working out. We've done nothing but lose the culture with these election wins. Even now Biden is going after his political enemies and tried to eliminate free speech on the social platforms while your boys sit on their asses and do nothing.

To get a better Speaker is a win. If Gaetz is such a self promoter I don't understand why he never tries to build a coalition around himself for the job.

Getting a better Speaker is a win because getting a better anything is a win, but who is this Speaker and what would make him or her better? Nobody can answer any of that.

If Gaetz is such a self promoter I don't understand why he never tries to build a coalition around himself for the job.

2 reasons. First, he has no chance. Keep in mind that his motion carried almost entirely with Democratic votes. You think people like AOC and Cori Bush are voting for Matt Gaetz for Speaker? Hell no.

Second, Gaetz would never want the responsibility. The Speaker has to actually pass legislation. That takes real work and compromise, which opens up opportunities for supposed "purists" to complain and crap on you for their own benefit.

Yeah, I see how well winning elections by the establishment guys are working out. We've done nothing but lose the culture with these election wins. Even now Biden is going after his political enemies and tried to eliminate free speech on the social platforms while your boys sit on their asses and do nothing.

Nothing but an 8 percent budget cut and an impeachment inquiry? I could go for that kind of "nothing."

Getting a better Speaker is a win because getting a better anything is a win, but who is this Speaker and what would make him or her better? Nobody can answer any of that.

Nothing but an 8 percent budget cut and an impeachment inquiry? I could go for that kind of "nothing."

Getting rid of McCarthy is the win and Jordan/Scalise is better.

Cool. We've gotten a few things. Look at the long time losses with the establishment in charge. We still haven't done anything about Joe Bidens' attacks on the Constitution.

Getting rid of McCarthy is the win and Jordan/Scalise is better.

Neither of them thought so, but ok. What do you think they'll do that so different?

Cool. We've gotten a few things. Look at the long time losses with the establishment in charge. We still haven't done anything about Joe Bidens' attacks on the Constitution.

Not sure why you think Scalise and Jordan are much less establishment than McCarthy. And again, I wouldn't call an 8 percent cut, taking Biden to court (and beating him), and launching an impeachment inquiry nothing. Again, what's the "something" you're expecting out of Scalise or Jordan?

So Steve Scalise isn't good enough for the idiot caucus either. Let's see if they'll go for Jordan. Never seen a political party take a piss on its own face worse.

This is getting beyond ridiculous. At this point, who would even want to be Speaker.

And after they maximize the political benefit of us looking like we're running a 6th grade class president election, eventually Democrats will likely release their members. Once that happens they'll basically get to decide who the Speaker is. It won't be one of their own, but it will be the Republican they choose. And he will be beholden to them. The point is that this whole dumb charade could massively backfire.

The Republicans could take control of everything given Biden’s performance and the idiocy of democrat run cities and states. But they are squandering every opportunity to do so. Expect Democrats to win everything in 2024.

The Republicans could take control of everything given Biden’s performance and the idiocy of democrat run cities and states. But they are squandering every opportunity to do so. Expect Democrats to win everything in 2024.

It's too early to say they'll win everything in '24. My hope is that they figure out the arithmetic before it's too late.

Jordan fails to get enough votes to become speaker. In fact, he was well short - by about 17 votes. I wonder if Gaetz and his crew are surprised that the Democrats who voted with him to vacate ended up ditching him.

Jordan fails to get enough votes to become speaker. In fact, he was well short - by about 17 votes. I wonder if Gaetz and his crew are surprised that the Democrats who voted with him to vacate ended up ditching him.

I guess Gaetz could be surprised, but he shouldn't be.

I guess Gaetz could be surprised, but he shouldn't be.

Of course he shouldn't be, but he has acted with nothing but idiocy throughout this - unless the goal was personal attention-seeking and self-promotion rather than a conservative agenda.

It looks like Jordan has no chance so I look for McCarthy to be begged to come back by the RINOs and take the Speakership. Let's continue the slow death of this country but lets all feel good about it knowing that the liberals will like us.

Personally, I think everybody should get behind Jordan if that's what it takes to get the ball rolling again. What bugs me is that we gave up an 8 percent spending cut and border funding in a CR so we could set ourselves on fire for 2 weeks and make Democrats look good.

And of course when we have to pass a budget, Jordan will basically do what McCarthy was doing. He might put up more political theater to appease the Idiot Caucus, but the final result will be about the same. This entire charade was dumb.

So if Massie or Jordan became speaker what would they do?

I think Massie as Speaker would be way more consequential than Jordan. Not sure exactly what he would be able to do but I would expect him to reduce spending overall and end all foreign aid (if not 90%). I think he may also defund bureaucracies.

I have to be fair Deez. I went back and looked at the CR that was on the table. It did look like a step in the right direction. 8% spending cut would be a great start. At the same time, I do know that other Republicans thought McCarthy had betrayed them because he had slipped in a money to Ukraine behind their backs. Personal politics was involved, but personal politics that I have to agree with. If Jordan does get elected and they get the same CR deal without the money to Ukraine, then it would be a step better than McCarthy, but that all remains to be seen.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-GEORGIA *
Sat, Oct 19 • 6:30 PM on ABC

Recent Threads

Back