SEC fan admissions tests--Southern trivia

1727296213299.png

1. This Lynard Synard band member dragged himself out of the plane crash and through a swamp to a nearby farm, where he was first shot at, and then given help, the authorities called, and ambulances were sent for him and the others:
a. Artimus Pyle
b. Steve Gaines
c. Billy Powell
d. Gary Rossington
e. Ronnie Van Zandt

2. Speaking of Lynard Skynard:
"Tuesday's................
a. "...beat the hell out of Mondays."
b. "...when I'm back in town."
c. "...gone with the wind."
d. "...another day drinking."
e. "...ladies night, you know."

3. Who was "Cowboy Bill" Blakley a/k/a "Dollar Bill" Blakley"?
a. A linebacker at OU.
b. An oilfield wildcatter.
c. A notorious horse and cattle thief who became a lawman.
d. A Texas Senator.
e. A bank robber and a contemporary of Bonnie and Clyde.
f. An Oklahoma Governor.

4. What was the original name of Auburn University?
a. Alabama A&M
b. Alabama Normal College for Men
c. East Alabama Male College
d. Alabama Methodist College
e. Alabama Technical Institute

5. The decisive and final major battle of the Creek War (Andrew Jackson commanding):
a. Pensacola
b. Appalachicola
c. Tombigbee
d. Horseshoe Bend
e. Fort Mims
f. Black River
g. Fort Jefferson

Answers below:

1. a
2. c
3. d
4. c
5. d

Another bonus question regarding Q#5: What was Duke called before the named changed to Duke? In this sense, you are wrong that the Duke family founded Duke. They just changed the name and gave it a big endowment.
This family?

Attachments

• th-3220538154.jpg
    th-3220538154.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 12
Chop,

Do you know where JP worked

How about what great recording artist he helped jumpstart his career

Chop,

Do you know where JP worked

How about what great recording artist he helped jumpstart his career
I don't know where the Big Bopper worked before becoming an early rock star. He was from somewhere in the Golden Triangle region, so maybe something oil related? White Lightning was actually his song, and George Jones (also from that area) did a cover of, so probably the Possum. Too early for Janis Joplin, and she "made it" in music out in California.

Bopper had a really good and mellow voice. He passed on too early.

JP was a country DJ on KTRM in Beaumont. "That's K as in Kitty, T as in tater, R as in rabbit, and M as in syrup" - Slim Watts.

My uncle was a policeman in the Beaumont Police Dept and had a Gospel show on KTRM on Saturday mornings. George Jones was a kid from Vidor, who sung briefly in one of my grandfather's quartets (I believe Neches Valley Quartet, which Arleigh Duff was a member of before moving to Austin.)

One day, JP was in the studio practicing his new song "White Lightning", but JP could not make the popping noise. George Jones tried to teach JP how to make that sound, but JP just could not do it. Finally in frustration, JP handed George the song and said, "here, go be a star".

Jiles Perry "J.P." Richardson Jr. (October 24, 1930 – February 3, 1959), better known by his stage name The Big Bopper, was an American musician and disc jockey. His best-known compositions include "Chantilly Lace," "Running Bear", and "White Lightning", the latter of which became George Jones's first number-one hit in 1959.

George Jones is from all over that area. Didn't he live in Saratoga for a long time?

George Jones is from all over that area. Didn't he live in Saratoga for a long time?
George Jones: Most emotion conveyed by a male vocalist in country music history. And yes, I know who Hank Williams Sr. is.

Only rub--Jones was not exactly a "professional" when it came to showing up on time (or at all) to his concerts and performances.

Neal McCoy was from Beaumont (early-mid-90s star). One of the only guys to my knowledge who ever fused country music with Carribean/calypso type stuff. I guess you could say Buffet did that earlier, if you consider his stuff country.

JP was a country DJ on KTRM in Beaumont. "That's K as in Kitty, T as in tater, R as in rabbit, and M as in syrup" - Slim Watts.

My uncle was a policeman in the Beaumont Police Dept and had a Gospel show on KTRM on Saturday mornings. George Jones was a kid from Vidor, who sung briefly in one of my grandfather's quartets (I believe Neches Valley Quartet, which Arleigh Duff was a member of before moving to Austin.)

One day, JP was in the studio practicing his new song "White Lightning", but JP could not make the popping noise. George Jones tried to teach JP how to make that sound, but JP just could not do it. Finally in frustration, JP handed George the song and said, "here, go be a star".
What was the recording studio in Beaumont? That patch of the State has produced far more musicians per capita than expected.

I didn't like George, but only knew he and his wife lived in Vidor across the road from "Old Man" Arnold (???). Arnold owned about half of Vidor (at least the part we cared about - skating rink, movie theater, drive-in). George was out on tour, and when he came home, the house was empty. Supposedly, his wife moved all the stuff to Arnold's home and married him. The older sister of one of my best friends in Austin and her husband would later buy George's home in Vidor. I think every crossroads in Southeast Texas from Call to Votaw claims George loved in their community.

When my grandfather passed of a heart attack, I drove from Austin to East Texas and the funeral director told me George was inside alone; asked if I wanted him to leave. I told them no, I'd take care of it. I walked in, said hello and stuck out my hand and thanked him for coming. We visited for a few minutes, and he asked if he could come to the funeral. I told him my family would be honored if he would attend. Never saw or talked to him again until he played the Arena Theater on Houston about 2010.

Tough life filled with personal demons, but WOW, what a talent.

I don't know what or where the studio was. I was a little kid. Just remember George singing tenor around the old piano in my grandparents living room with Merle Conn, Causey, Duff. He actually practiced around that old piano with The Jordanaires, Stamps Quartet with JD, Jake Hess and the Statesmen, The Vestals.

Tracy Byrd, Mark Chestnut, Clay Walker are more recent "swamp rats".

Gatemouth Brown was from Orange

Perhaps the best of all of them was Jerry LaCroix (aka Jerry Count Jackson), who would be lead singer for the Boogie Kings, Rare Earth, & replacement for David Clayton Thomas in Blood Sweat & Tears.

Next Round:

1. Harold Lloyd Jenkins goes/went by this stage name:
a. Kenny Rogers
b. Conway Twitty
c. Merle Haggard
d. Eddie Rabbitt
e. Charlie Pride

2. Who said: "If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell"?
a. U.S. Grant
b. William T. Sherman
c. Philip Sheridan
d. George A. Custer
e. Curwen B. McLellan
f. Tom Osborne
g. Robert F. Kennedy, Sr.

3. Kate Pierson, generally associated with Georgia, was actually born and raised in this state:
a. Georgia
b. New Jersey
c. California
d. Florida
e. New York

4. Which of the following football teams has beaten Alabama more times that Alabama has beaten them?
a. Georgia
b. Tennessee
c. LSU
d. Florida
e. Texas

5. For the Confederacy, it is sometimes said that Albert Sidney Johnston won the first day of the Battle of Shiloh. Who lost the second (and final) day of the Battle of Shiloh for the Confederates?
a. Leonidas Polk
b. Braxton Bragg
c. PGT Beauregard
d. John C. Pemberton
e. William J. Hardee

6. This driver has the all-time most wins at the Talladega 500:
a. Dale Earnhardt, Sr.
b. Richard Petty
c. Bobby Allison
d. Jeff Gordon
e. Darrell Waltrip
f. Cale Yarborough

7. Which was NOT a character in Walt Disney's Song of the South movie?
a. Br'er Mouse
b. Br'er Rabbit
c. Br'er Fox
d. Br'er Bear
e. Tempy

8. Who or what is/was "Devil Anse"?
a. A difficult to control weed--skorge of the cotton crop.
b. A granite mountain, climbed by many, of whom many have died.
c. Large red ants with a bad sting.
d. The Patriarch of the Hatfields in the Hatfield-McCoy feud.
e. A ghost or apparition appearing occasionally in the Scottsboro, Alabama area.

Answers Below:

1. b
2. c
3. b
4. e
5. c
6. a
7. a
8. d

More:

1. The Mardi Gras Krewe of Zulu throws these in their parades:
a. Painted animal skulls
b. Painted coconuts
c. Melons
d. Flower necklaces
e. Toy skeletons
f. Baseballs

2. The tallest (by elevation) mountain in the South lies is this State:
a. North Carolina
b. Texas
(and much controversy ensues ...................:popcorn:)

3. This famous New Orleans bar is candle lit and has no electricity:
a. The Napoleon House
b. Pat O'Briens
c. Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop
d. Le Pavillon Hotel bar
e. Preservation Hall
f. The Carousel Bar
g. The Old Absinthe House
h. Arnauds

4. These 2 Krewes close out the Mardi Gras season with a sort of "combined" ball where one Krewe's King and Court leave their ball and cross the street to visit the other Krewe's King and Court at their ball.
a. Bacchus and Endymion
b. Orpheus and Hermes
c. Rex and Comus
d. Muses and Zulu
e. Hermes and Rex

5. One of these Presidents was not from Tennessee
a. Jackson
b. Tyler
c. Polk
d. A. Johnson

Answers below:

1. b
2. :popcorn:
3. c
4. c
5. b

More:

1. The Mardi Gras Krewe of Zulu throws these in their parades:
a. Painted animal skulls
b. Painted coconuts
c. Melons
d. Flower necklaces
e. Toy skeletons
f. Baseballs

2. The tallest (by elevation) mountain in the South lies is this State:
a. North Carolina
b. Texas
(and much controversy ensues ...................:popcorn:)

3. This famous New Orleans bar is candle lit and has no electricity:
a. The Napoleon House
b. Pat O'Briens
c. Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop
d. Le Pavillon Hotel bar
e. Preservation Hall
f. The Carousel Bar
g. The Old Absinthe House
h. Arnauds

4. These 2 Krewes close out the Mardi Gras season with a sort of "combined" ball where one Krewe's King and Court leave their ball and cross the street to visit the other Krewe's King and Court at their ball.
a. Bacchus and Endymion
b. Orpheus and Hermes
c. Rex and Comus
d. Muses and Zulu
e. Hermes and Rex

5. One of these Presidents was not from Tennessee
a. Jackson
b. Tyler
c. Polk
d. A. Johnson

Answers below:

1. b
2. :popcorn:
3. c
4. c
5. b
2. NC.

Also, I think NC claims Johnson too.

Can't get enough, huh:

1. Where is the Calabash sub-culture and food found?
a. South Georgia
b. East Tennessee
c. Coastal North Carolina and the Myrtle Beach area
d. North Louisiana
e. The North Alabama mountains

2. How many SEC football titles has Kentucky won in its history?
a. None
b. One
c. Two
d. Three
e. Four

3. ACADEMIC SMACK ALERT: According to the 2025 US News and World Reports rankings of "Top National" Public Universities, which is the top public university in the SEC:
a. Georgia
b. Texas
c. Florida
d. Tie Georgia and Texas
e. Tie Texas and Florida
f. Tie Georgia and Florida
g. Arkansas

4. Which of the following is/was NOT an alum of Vanderbilt U.?
a. Peter Jennings
b. Former VP Al Gore
c. David Brinkley
d. Amy Grant
e. Dinah Shore

5. What was the namesake of "Maxwell House" Coffee?
a. The Maxwell House Plantation in Louisiana.
b. The Maxwell House Hotel in Nashville.
c. The Maxwell House Orphanage in Albany, Georgia.
d. The ancestral family of the founder/owner P.L. Maxwell.
e. It was a joke -- the Maxwell House Asylum (for the mentally ill) in Florida.
f. The Maxwell House lodge in Key West, Florida

Answers below

1. c
2. c
3. e
4. a
5. b

Maxwell House Hotel in Nashville - the worst run dump I've ever had the misfortune to stay in. Thieves stealing your stuff. Came highly recommended with lots of amenities. Booked well in advance. My Uncle died of a heart attack while we were there, yet whenever my family called to tell me, they were told I was not there, had not been there, and had no future reservations. Four people in connecting rooms, yet we could only get TWO bath towels. I called downstairs, told them I was dripping wet, had no towel and unless I got one within two minutes, I was coming down to the lobby in current state to retrieve towels. I got a bathmat.

I got the manager (accompanied by security) in the middle of the lobby, and told him "I'm not here? I have no reservation? Try charging even fifty cents on my AmEx and I'll own your ***." I looked at "security" and told him he had thirty seconds to get out of my sight, my reach, and my throwing distance.

I failed to mention that during this conversation I had a S&W .357 with hollow points tucked into the waistband of my Wranglers.

I did empty the lobby. That place is beyond bad in every phase of hotel service.

Maxwell House Hotel in Nashville - the worst run dump I've ever had the misfortune to stay in. Thieves stealing your stuff. Came highly recommended with lots of amenities. Booked well in advance. My Uncle died of a heart attack while we were there, yet whenever my family called to tell me, they were told I was not there, had not been there, and had no future reservations. Four people in connecting rooms, yet we could only get TWO bath towels. I called downstairs, told them I was dripping wet, had no towel and unless I got one within two minutes, I was coming down to the lobby in current state to retrieve towels. I got a bathmat.

I got the manager (accompanied by security) in the middle of the lobby, and told him "I'm not here? I have no reservation? Try charging even fifty cents on my AmEx and I'll own your ***." I looked at "security" and told him he had thirty seconds to get out of my sight, my reach, and my throwing distance.

I failed to mention that during this conversation I had a S&W .357 with hollow points tucked into the waistband of my Wranglers.

I did empty the lobby. That place is beyond bad in every phase of hotel service.

So I take it you'll be having Folgers with your pecan pie instead of Maxwell House, sir...?

Last edited:
"One of his first big customers was the Maxwell House Hotel. The hotel bought some of his coffee to serve in their dining room. Supposedly, the customers loved it so much they demanded that the hotel keep selling it. Joel named his coffee brand Maxwell House after the hotel in Nashville, where this happened. President Theodore Roosevelt stayed at Maxwell House in 1907. People said he called the coffee, “good to the last drop.” Most likely, he didn’t actually say this, but the story became famous. It was even used in ads."

When in the East End of Houston in the 70s - 80s, if the air was blowing towards you, you could sometimes smell the aroma of the roasting Maxwell House coffee beans.

(Houston Maxwell House coffee roasting and packaging plant below -- now defunct)
1727987410464.png

I have heard that there are cretins out there, with unsophisticated tastes, that do NOT like coffee with chicory. I think most of them are from New Jersey.

:beertoast:

Misc.

1. This Confederate General was criticized during, and after, the war for sometimes being drunk during battle:
a. Cheatham
b. Hardee
c. Beauregard
d. Longstreet
e. Marmaduke

2. Who sang this line: "Leather boots are still in style for manly footwear."
a. Hank Williams, Jr.
b. Alabama
c. Merle Haggard
d. Willie Nelson
e. Alan Jackson
f. Johnny Cash

3. Who wrote "Evangeline, a Tale of Acadie"?
a. Tennessee Williams
b. Faulkner
c. Longfellow
d. Broussard
e. Melville
f. Oprah Winfrey

4. What does the "PGT" in General PGT Beauregard's name stand for?
a. Paul Gerrard Thomas
b. Pierre Gustave Toutant
c. Pierre Gaston Thibodeaux
d. Pierre Gilberte Thibaut
e. Pierre Guillaume Thierry

5. Which of the following wrote an anti-handgun song and said "Why don't we throw all handguns to the bottom of the sea?"
a. Merle Haggard
b. Dwight Yoakam
c. Dolly Parton
d. Lynard Skynard
e. Rosanne Cash

Answers below:

1. a
2. c
3. c
4. b
5. d

Weekly Prediction Contest