Random Season News

Duke,

That may be the most difficult question ever on this site. A few:

1) 73 OU I think that was 62-13 & the third loss in a row to OU was the beginning of the end for the DKR era

2) ND in 71 Cotton Bowl - dirtiest damn team I've ever seen.

3) 79 A&M We were headed to the Sugar Bowl with maybe our best defense ever, a defense which I think was on the field 50 minutes of the game. A&M coaching staff did an outstanding job of scheming and carrying out their plan.

4) UGA Cotton Bowl

5) UCLA - Might be higher up if not for that face saving FG so Mackovic wasn't shut out

6) Freedom Bowl - that was a political nightmare. Fred accepted bid without Deloss knowing and to get even the "we hate Fred" group kept the school from offering tickets. Season ticket holders got no notice or opportunity to purchase tickets. Miserable conditions in SoCal and worse performance.

7) Cotton Bowl against the convicts

8) Third Ward in the Dome I think we threw more picks than completions

9) Miss State & Jackie Sherrill tie with Loserville & Schnellenberger

10) Mack Brown era needs its own catagory for losing to far less talented teams
Saber, I would vote for your #'s 4 & 7. The Cotton Bowl has been the scene of a # of our worst defeats.
*EVERY loss to 0u is a gut punch.
*The most embarrassing loss, to me, was the Miami beat-down (there is nothing so sacred about the Trinity River that it could baptize Michael Irvin into my good graces).
*1 bad snap against UGA cost us a Natty.
*The non-Cotton game that sticks out to me was when Colt got his brachial nerve destroyed by Bama; costing us another Natty.

Saber, I would vote for your #'s 4 & 7. The Cotton Bowl has been the scene of a # of our worst defeats.
*EVERY loss to 0u is a gut punch.
*The most embarrassing loss, to me, was the Miami beat-down (there is nothing so sacred about the Trinity River that it could baptize Michael Irvin into my good graces).
*1 bad snap against UGA cost us a Natty.
*The non-Cotton game that sticks out to me was when Colt got his brachial nerve destroyed by Bama; costing us another Natty.

Yep . . . I was there for that cluster ****. One of the worst, if not the worst, embarrassing beat down I have ever sat through.

I think the most devastating loss was the Tech game for a couple of reasons. 1) We were a better team that season than in 2009. With Quan and Orakpo (two all time greats) we were just much better than the next season. No doubt in my mind we would have won the NC. 2) We had two chances to win that game and completely failed at both with the dropped INT and then Earl inexplicably just not tackling Crabtree. All time missed opportunity that still hurts me to think about.

I feel like we have been on the receiving end on those types of losses more than we’ve given those types of losses.
if I remember right even if Earl had made that tackle all Tech had to do would be to kick a a FG to win the game. But still, Earl should have made the tackle.

if I remember right even if Earl had made that tackle all Tech had to do would be to kick a a FG to win the game. But still, Earl should have made the tackle.
That tackle/non-tackle was irrelevant. The play that KILLED us was the play immediately previous...it was the dropped interception by a Freshman (that we all know & love...to this day) that turned the tide against us. Otherwise, tceh would have kicked a field goal to win the game, even from the l.o.s. prior to the dropped interception.

Last edited:
if I remember right even if Earl had made that tackle all Tech had to do would be to kick a a FG to win the game. But still, Earl should have made the tackle.[/QUOTE
Would have been a 45yd field goal. So less than 50% chance they win with a FG. In fact, Tech played two kickers that game. Donnie Carona was 1-5 that season from 40-49yds. Matt Williams was 0-1 that season from 40-49yds.

I think we would have won if either Blake caught the INT or Earl had knocked Crabtree out of bounds as he was catching it. Pretty clear that Earl would have knocked Crabtree out of bounds before he could get a foot down if he came in hard and actually hit him, instead of inexplicably undercutting him and totally missing. Talk about rigged games!!!

Yes the players were trying to hold him in bounds to help run out the clock.

Recent Threads

Back