PUMP THE SUNSHINE!

I go often to Georgia. They are friendly. Like Florida, however, the public school system is inadequate.

I’m not sure how they are going to handle the epiphany that they aren’t really competitive with Austin, the State of Texas and UT in general.

When they see how we dominate non-revenue sports, they might turn jealous.
Glass houses.

Texas public schools:

10% ~ Good to Excellent
15% ~ Pretty Good
25% - Adequate. Decent enough.
50% - Inadequate.

Glass houses.

Texas public schools:

10% ~ Good to Excellent
15% ~ Pretty Good
25% - Adequate. Decent enough.
50% - Inadequate.
True about Texas but it’s much worse there. I lived in Sarasota for 7 years. The Middle Class seemed woefully undereducated.

We’re the “it” place at this moment in time. Like that oil boom in the late 70s (that came crashing down). Fortunately, and thanks to UT’s George Kozmetsky and his crowd + Perot, Dell, Musk, and many others), our economy is greatly diversified today.

In the very long term, our big problem in Texas is water.

New South—Texas, Florida, North Carolina, Georgia, Virginia. Eastern 2/3 of Tennessee.

Old South—Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Alabama, South Carolina, Western 1/3 of Tennessee, Kentucky, Oklahoma (to the extent it’s Southern).

In other words, to my observations, Georgia (for the most part) is not a state full of bumbling dumbf@cks, like Arkansas for instance.

We’re the “it” place at this moment in time. Like that oil boom in the late 70s (that came crashing down). Fortunately, and thanks to UT’s George Kozmetsky and his crowd + Perot, Dell, Musk, and many others), our economy is greatly diversified today.

In the very long term, our big problem in Texas is water.
Water management is more the problem in Texas. With multi purpose, mega structures and 3D printing we can now collect, store and begin to recharge aquifers.

It’s part my anti drought, first-in-kind campaign that I’m currently working in the Panhandle.

Last edited:
Rice for academics

Vandy does not have nearly the athletic money that SMU does. The again, very few if any do.

See also the ACC’s warning when receiving the inquiry, and Clark’s hilarious response.

If you are talking about campus culture, I'm guessing that it leans more towards SMU than Rice? Maybe like a small private version of Ole Miss?

No connection with Private Vanderbilt in the old F Troop TV show. I'm sure of that.
341638.jpg

I dunno. I think I'm seeing more SMU in Vanderbilt.

SMU
Pepperdine
Vanderbilt
Tulane
TCU
Ole Miss*

Duke has left that bunch and now exists as a Southern satellite outpost of the Ivy League (that just so happens to be really good at basketball). The other Southern Ivy League outpost ---> Rice=Yale, but in Houston.

*Re: Ole Miss--it's mind-boggling that a public school in the poorest State in the Nation became like this.

SMU
Pepperdine
Vanderbilt
Tulane
TCU
Ole Miss*

Duke has left that bunch and now exists as a Southern satellite outpost of the Ivy League (that just so happens to be really good at basketball). The other Southern Ivy League outpost ---> Rice=Yale, but in Houston.

*Re: Ole Miss--it's mind-boggling that a public school in the poorest State in the Nation became like this.
You are missing Wake Forest from that list, or do you put them along Baylor?

SMU
Pepperdine
Vanderbilt
Tulane
TCU
Ole Miss*

How do you lump the #17 ranked university in the US with TCU, SMU, etc? Pepperdine is closest being ranked in the 60's. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the premise of the question.

How do you lump the #17 ranked university in the US with TCU, SMU, etc? Pepperdine is closest being ranked in the 60's. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the premise of the question.
It's more of a social thing. With a limited sample size, I've found Vandy folks to be much more "preppy" (SMU, Pepperdine, TCU, Ole Miss) and with plenty of $$$ than Rice. Rice folks may have the $$$, but are definitely not "preppy." Brilliant nerds at Rice = U. of Chicago, Yale, MIT, etc.

Maybe Vanderbilt is the smartest of the "rich preppy" schools, but (from my observations of my limited sample size) Vandy seems to culturally go in that group.

SMU had climbed to mid 60s on USNWR list but fell back to 72(???), which was three ahead of A&M. Not sure about the latest rankings.

Still, there is a vast difference between spending $500 million on a new campus and being prepared to spend $500 million plus to join an athletic conference.

It's more of a social thing. With a limited sample size, I've found Vandy folks to be much more "preppy" (SMU, Pepperdine, TCU, Ole Miss) and with plenty of $$$ than Rice. Rice folks may have the $$$, but are definitely not "preppy." Brilliant nerds at Rice = U. of Chicago, Yale, MIT, etc.

Maybe Vanderbilt is the smartest of the "rich preppy" schools, but (from my observations of my limited sample size) Vandy seems to culturally go in that group.

Ok, my brain didn't go the social route so I can sort of see that. Growing up in Tennessee and spending a moderate amount of time on the campus (that's where almost all high school state wide events were held being in the middle of Tennessee), I can tell you there are a LOT of Rice types on campus as well. Vanderbilt has a significantly lower Asian population than Rice.

Having a Vandy grad daughter I can safely say it has all types from snooty to sane. We never could do the up scale social scene but she had plenty of good friends ‘down’ in our class. I will say except for the good baseball years they never were big on sports. When they had J Whitt at qb they had a decent football following but not again until the year they beat Tenn. That was great.
Other than that it’s just an expensive but pretty good school. And it got my daughter into law school so there is that.

Wake is very much like Rice - same size and students don't really know they are surrounded by a city.

When we visited there with my daughter, they treated us better than any other school. Two things I was told that made it somewhat appealing:

1) If you let your daughter come here, the only check you will ever write to Wake Forest will be for a donation"

2) In response to my question can you arrange for me to play a round of gold with Arnold Palmer - "at least twice a year"

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-VANDERBILT *
Sat, Oct 26 • 3:15 PM on SECN

Recent Threads

Back