NCAA Tourney Games (other than Texas)

And she ended up with 17 of their 36 rebounds. I guess Bill finally figured out to park her under the hoop and ask her to participate in defense the other end of the court.
I kind of wish Vic had kept Booker in just long enough to get one more basket and earn another double double… but why risk it I guess.

And she ended up with 17 of their 36 rebounds. I guess Bill finally figured out to park her under the hoop and ask her to participate in defense the other end of the court.
As I watched Crooks last night, I found myself recalling and really appreciating the physical work Taylor did against Crooks in the conference title game. Maryland had absolutely nobody who could keep Crooks from establishing her spot wherever she wanted.

We also did a significantly better job of harassing their guards so they had fewer clear entry passes. Our team defense is very special, y'all (to steal a line from Vic himself).

Last edited:
She's going to be sought after in the NIL/Transfer portal market. Although she is from Iowa, will be interesting to see if she stays in Ames all 4 yrs.
She signed a substantial NIL deal with someone local last week. Looks like she's in Ames to stay at least another season.

I just saw OU eek out a 73-70 win over FGCU where the last shot from FGCU, with 0.4 seconds hit the rim on a three pointer.

I don't know much about basketball strategy, but FGCU coaches made odd time management decisions. It was one of those endings that took 15 minutes to run out the last 36 seconds of the game. FGCU was behind 72-70 with 3 fouls to give and OU inbounding with 36 seconds left.

I couldn't tell if I wanted OU to win or lose. I don't know if I want OU to be a spoiler to knock off some higher ranked team so we don't meet that team in the Final Four. Or I don't know if I want them to go deeper in the tournament so they can flattened by a better team. I feel dirty now for wanting good things for OU. Sorry.

It looks like the only upset in the entire tournament so far is MSU beating Louisville. Not surprising as it’s usually that way. It’s hard as a lower seed to upset a high seed on their home court. Last year Louisville did it to Horns in second round. Hopefully some more upsets soon. Except against Horns.

Besides our game, the other one I am most interested in is Iowa State-Stanford. Iowa State was so good against Maryland I think they may give Stanford a very good game. Crooks is amazing, the best post player I have seen in a long, long time. In fact, if we all get that far, I would rather play Stanford or Tennessee than Iowa State again. Yes, we beat them twice, but they beat us in the last half of the Big 12 finals. Crooks is too scary. But first things first...I don't know what to expect from Alabama. Seems to be a lot of fear on this board that they may beat us.

I don't know if it is fear, maybe apprehension, but Alabama was seeded in the 8/9 slot for a reason. I can't see where they have been recently way outplaying their seed like Tennessee has.
Basketball is about matchups. Alabama is a difficult matchup, they're well coached, and they're battle tested coming from the SEC where they fought for third/fourth place eventually getting fourth behind SC, LSU, and Ole Miss. Think about it like this... if we were in the SEC this year, where do you think we would have finished? We're very evenly matched and they are better than a number 8 seed IMO.

By no means am I saying that we won't/can't win. What I am saying is that once again we are paired with a very difficult second round game, and we can't afford the lapses in concentration/intensity that I've seen from us more than once this season. We need to be tough and have a killer instinct today and going forward.

Last edited:
I feel pretty confident that this team still remembers last year’s second round. I’m sure we’ll be ok.

Then again, I still have PTSD from the OU games. :cursing2:

I’m with you JoeD. I think Crooks will give Brinks trouble. And Ryan is really good. Stanfords guards are suspect. Brinks will give Crooks trouble from the elbow trying to pull Crooks away from basket. So a fun game to finish the weekend with.

As much as I dislike Duke, glad to see them beating Ohio State. Nothing specific against C. Taylor except she wanted out. Just another reason to dislike Ohio State.

Maybe I’m in the minority but I have no hard feelings toward Celeste. She transferred out with dignity and class unlike a couple of other players in recent history.

I feel pretty confident that this team still remembers last year’s second round. I’m sure we’ll be ok.

Then again, I still have PTSD from the OU games. :cursing2:

Me, too. OU won yesterday the same way they beat us - by taking over the game in the last 3 minutes and getting it close enough for that gawdawful call to matter.

Those ISU freshmen. Wow. Glad we don’t have to play them next season. That was an amazing effort. I was rooting for them, but not sure I would have wanted to have to beat them a third time. And Ryan had a monster final game. Is she coming back?

Iowa State took Stanford to the very wire. Emily Ryan played out of her mind -- what a player. Crooks was neutralized by the very tall bigs of Stanford, so Emily and the rest had to do it all. I'm sorry for ISU. Stanford will present some challenges if we both get that far.

Emily Ryan is returning next year. I felt like ISU was the better team tonight and they led by 1 with 20 sec left in OT and it slipped away from them.

Can’t say a third encounter with the Cyclones was something I’d look forward to.

On the way to the bench after fouling out, it looked to me as if Cameron Brink mouthed a big “F-U” to the referee.
But then again she might’ve said vacuum.

Tremendous game last night. Brink’s WBNA draft stock has to be rethought. I was surprised Crooks had such a tough game. Ryan is really talented. Iafram and Stanford guards saved em. The guards shooting so well was surprising. Stanford is beatable this year. Would have liked IState to win but ?.

On the way to the bench after fouling out, it looked to me as if Cameron Brink mouthed a big “F-U” to the referee.
But then again she might’ve said vacuum.
I saw that! Then later, during a timeout, she went to the scorers table and started jawing at that same referee. An assistant had to pull her back. A technical foul(s) should have definitely been assessed.
Two words... Stanford privilege.

Last edited:
Also, I couldn't believe Brinks wanted to disagree with the call on her 5th foul. She grossly violated the principle of verticality on that play, and then came down on the arms too.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-VANDERBILT *
Sat, Oct 26 • 3:15 PM on SECN

Recent Threads

Back