Hurricane Beryl

A few tidbits about Carla (yes, we didn't have the warning systems we have now)

1) Killed more people going up through Oklahoma & the midwest than it did in Texas

2) 100 mph winds for five hours in Lufkin

3) 100 mph winds for three hours in Palestine

4) Groves is 300+ miles from landfall & 15-20 miles inland from Gulf, yet had 5 feet of water in homes.

5) Port Neches had 100+ MPH winds for hours

Don't have stats on Port Lavaca, Bay City, Gregory Portland which got the worst of it.

This storm was all of 20 miles wide with minor winds that lasted less than two hours. Imagine a storm 400 miles wide, with 150 mph winds in downtown Houston that lasted 12 hours. There wouldn't be a window left in the CBD.
The ranch right on San Antonio Bay where I spent/worked parts of the summers and duck/goose hunted every December in Seadrift (Calhoun County) experienced a 100-year-old oak tree picked up and smashed through the second story of the 100-year-old house. Those in the know at the time estimated that it was sustained straight-line wind above 120mph (no twisting that goes along with tornadoes). The house was on a rise 12 ft. above sea level and the water line was about 2 1/2 feet from the house.

Carla was the first storm that our friends who owned the ranch ran from. They went to San Antonio, but upon return spent the better part of the next week hunting rattlesnakes.

Son got his back only to have it go down again due to a neighbor’s fallen tree causing a fire on a restored power line. Lovely.

Nash,

Sorry to hear about your son, but does Barbecue Inn have power? Do they at least have chocolate and/or coconut pie?

Haha, priorities Sabre. Never had a chocolate pie like my mama and grandma could make, never.

I have said for over a decade that Center Point has over $4 billion in infrastructure needs. I am sure that amount is now over $5 and maybe $6.

When we went 13 days without power, the crews from Alabama & North Carolina tried to be helpful but said their hands were tied by Center Point. That was the first time I heard, "this is the worst, most outdated infrastructure we have ever seen". You might question it from one crew, but when crews from 4-5 different states are telling you the same thing, you tend to believe it.

During our 13 day outage, the CEO of Center Point always had power at his house over by Rice (I can't remember if it was North Blvd or South Blvd). One of my doctors lived next door to that *******.

Unfortunately, that is the rule. We are paying higher rates to Oncor in DFW to recover their losses from 2022, 2023 and 2024.

In addition, the DFW Atmos natural gas customers are having to pay for lax system upgrades leading to houses blowing up.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-OU *
Sat, Oct 12 • 2:30 PM on ABC

Recent Threads

Back