Hurricane Beryl

Thanks LC. Looks like there was a rate increase during my contract and everyone followed suit because current avg. rate (including all the gimmicks - free weekends/ nights/ summer discounts,etc) is $.15 k/w hour in my zip code. That is the provider plus carrier, for me Centerpoint which is .04 to .045 of the total or same for any provider to add to the bill. My new bill will add $.042 to my existing $.07. Heck of an increase if you ask me.

LC,

I worked on the Senate version of the bill that created the PUC when I was a student. Our real pressure points came from telephone not electricity. I remember calling Cotton Gaskamp, constable for Southern Angelina County, who supposedly had the only "private line" in Zavalla, and that cost the county $2,800/month (IIRC). Electricity was focused on rural, like the Lower Colorado River Authority costs.

I don't think the legislators ever conceived that TXU & HL&P would ever be a problem.

Btw, there still seems to be a number of people in Angleton without power, judging from comments I’m seeing in a local Facebook forum. The TNMP Outage Map shows a ton of outages … including my own subdivision. Which is odd because my subdivision has power. I can tell because it’s perfectly quiet outside (i.e., no generators running). So the outage map might not be very accurate.

Last edited:
To our posters on the High Plains, 40 mph is a "gentle breeze"
Ha, growing up in El Paso we played baseball in 40 mph dust storms. Of course couldn’t see 1st base from shortstop but wasn’t so bad - we had a general idea - enough to make a decent throw.

I got hit by it no electric and I can't host longhorn pool party because there is half a tree in my pool

Hope you get an experienced tree guy to get the tree out of your pool !!

Supporters of the Horns like Super Model @pennylane want that pool fixed soon@

I know it is miserable for many . I hope power gets back on SOON
But someone sent me this remark from someone in Houston complaining
" I don't have anything to eat,” said Nelsey Alvarez, 34, a single mother from Honduras who said she had never faced such a power crisis in her native country, where hurricanes are common. “When they lose power, they restore it the same day.”

I know it is miserable for many . I hope power gets back on SOON
But someone sent me this remark from someone in Houston complaining
" I don't have anything to eat,” said Nelsey Alvarez, 34, a single mother from Honduras who said she had never faced such a power crisis in her native country, where hurricanes are common. “When they lose power, they restore it the same day.”

Yes, but I bet the Honduran Electric Coop doesn't make $6-7 Billion a year profit for it's shareholders.

Shocked I am
[political comment removed - keep it on the West Mall]

Last edited by a moderator:
I would never defend anything the democrats do, but I could NOT in good conscience hand those people $10 billion. CenterPoint has known about this for over a decade, made huge profits, paid dividends, and not done one damn thing about the infrastructure.

Would you trust them with another $10 billion?

oK but it seems to me the political act was actually done by the Feds. But ok
So I was wrong to put this here

Last edited:
I was in Clute this morning waiting for a light to change when this lineman from Virginia pulled up beside me. They are here from all over, no question.
UrHc1OO.jpg

Going to church this morning, I passed a convoy from Alabama on Katy Freeway. FWIW, the church got power back yesterday.

I think the Alabama crews are staged at Rhodes.

My sis in Memorial is still without power. Voicemail from Centerpoint said hopefully Tuesday. I told her it's finally time to by a damn Generac.

Getting very frustrating. Son lives just outside loop off Jester and still without power. What the heck? This was not the worst storm we’ve faced and yet the results have been much worse - what the heck?

Getting very frustrating. Son lives just outside loop off Jester and still without power. What the heck? This was not the worst storm we’ve faced and yet the results have been much worse - what the heck?

Nash,

Can you imagine if we got hit with another Carla? There would be ZERO Houston left.

Can you imagine if we got hit with another Carla? There would be ZERO Houston left.
Yeah I’m not getting this whole thing. Are we to presume everything has gotten more susceptible, more fragile? Or are we less capable to respond? Is no one held culpable? It’s like my feelings regarding humankind and war - no one ever learns.

A few tidbits about Carla (yes, we didn't have the warning systems we have now)

1) Killed more people going up through Oklahoma & the midwest than it did in Texas

2) 100 mph winds for five hours in Lufkin

3) 100 mph winds for three hours in Palestine

4) Groves is 300+ miles from landfall & 15-20 miles inland from Gulf, yet had 5 feet of water in homes.

5) Port Neches had 100+ MPH winds for hours

Don't have stats on Port Lavaca, Bay City, Gregory Portland which got the worst of it.

This storm was all of 20 miles wide with minor winds that lasted less than two hours. Imagine a storm 400 miles wide, with 150 mph winds in downtown Houston that lasted 12 hours. There wouldn't be a window left in the CBD.

Watching ABC13 news tonight, they were interviewing Lt. Gov. Patrick, and he was very unhappy with CenterPoint. Abbott is also steamed.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-OU *
Sat, Oct 12 • 2:30 PM on ABC

Recent Threads

Back