Hurricane Beryl

Giovanni Jones

2,500+ Posts
I’m guessing I’m the only member of HF who’s anticipating the arrival of Beryl. (Brazoria County, 15 miles inland. Gonna be a fun night.)

We finished picking up loose/lightweight things around the yard earlier, moved a bunch of stuff up into the covered back patio area. Kids and grandkids are headed this way for the night because scary weather.

Texas Hurricane GIF

Hoping the impact along coast and Houston area is minimal
But would I be heartless to hope Beryl holds together enough to make it to DFW area with some rain?

Hoping the impact along coast and Houston area is minimal
But would I be heartless to hope Beryl holds together enough to make it to DFW area with some rain?

Yeah, our forecast went from 4-6" of rain forecast to maybe 1". The closer it gets, the farther east it is projected to go. Now I'm hoping to get anything.

I'll be thinking of y'all down near Houston. Doesn't sound like a terrible storm, but I'm sure it'll cause some problems.

My main concern is the power being out for an extended time. I’ve got Storm windows that stood up to Ike and just had a new roof put on.

And I understand the desire for rain. Everybody upstate is welcome to it.

Dion that video you posted looked like me outside during the wind blown downpour we got from the outer wave. I was taking down the sun screen triangles I always put up when the little granddaughter comes over. I put them up not just for the sun but to protect her from golfballs while enjoying her splash pad. I was soaked but at least enjoyed the temperature drop.

Recall landfall was originally forecasted in Mexico. Now the eye is heading towards the Woodlands.

Recall landfall was originally forecasted in Mexico. Now the eye is heading towards the Woodlands.
It came right through Katy.

Our power went out at 6:00 this morning, just came back on about 12:30.

Twenty minutes before the power came back we made an unrefundable AirBnB reservation in Austin because we could be days without power, so we planned to hit the road.

Anyway, I am happy to again have lights, A/C, internet, and refrigeration!

Last edited:
Hope all came out ok. Family and friends down Angleton way said they’re all good. Loss of power and trees down.
Good bit of rain and warning after warning here in East Texas.

Well hopefully ours will be back soon. Down here in South side of Katy power still out.
Good luck nash!

We’re not far from you, just on the north side of Peckham Park, so if you need anything let me know. I’ll PM you my phone number.

Thanks Boss man, we’re doin fine, just a few inconveniences. Nice break in the temp!
Anyone else have Xfinity out?

Hello all, everything is fine here. I just got power back around 7 pm this evening and haven’t been able to post all day. My iPhone had phone service but no internet and the SMS has been very spotty. I was exceedingly lucky in that the sycamore tree in my backyard (3+ stories tall) shed a few large branches but stayed upright (unlike a neighbor’s tree 2 doors down). I figure the eye passed about 30-40 miles west of us (Bay City) but here in Angleton we missed the heaviest of the rain bands.

As far as I know, all of Angleton lost power around 3:30 this morning but neighborhoods started coming back on line around 6:30 pm. So we are in much better condition than Houston in that regard.

Other than watching that sycamore swaying back and forth this morning, it wasn’t too scary.

Sunday night I fortified myself with some Corona Extra while watching A Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More.

Glad to hear things went fairly well for you @Giovanni Jones, all things considered.

I wonder why in this modern age of advanced technology and engineering we still can’t manage to build an electric infrastructure that can withstand a little wind and rain.

It’s a coastal area and we know we will have these storms. Is it impossible to design for that?

As far as I know, the power never went out in Bay City, which caught the center of the storm with the eyewall winds. Go figure.

As for Houston, particularly inside the Loop, there are countless trees that came down on power lines during any given wind event.

I didn’t see any power lines down in Angleton yesterday afternoon while I was driving around town, which leads me to think the issue might have been with the main transmission lines coming into town (that and the fact that the whole town went down at the same time and likewise power was restored to most areas yesterday evening).

Last edited:
One of my office colleagues who lives in Pearland (the old original part) says they don't have electricity yet. Cell and internet service in her area is also out. Gasoline is very scarce there and there's a 30-minute wait to get to the pumps.

As for Angleton, apparently there are still a couple of live power cables down this morning (according to the robocall I got from the local OEM). Obviously not affecting my side of town. The donut shop just outside my subdivision was open for business this morning.

Glad to hear things went fairly well for you @Giovanni Jones, all things considered.

I wonder why in this modern age of advanced technology and engineering we still can’t manage to build an electric infrastructure that can withstand a little wind and rain.

It’s a coastal area and we know we will have these storms. Is it impossible to design for that?
Possibly but the Texas PUC would then pass along the billions of dollar costs for that to the customers in their biennial utility rate cases. That would cause a rebellion. If people wouldn’t plant trees under power lines, that would cut outages tremendously. Ice accumulation is the number one cause of outages in freezing temps; lighting taking out transformers is up there as well. Hurricanes - 🙏.

That brings me back to rate increase this renewal. After doing numerous comparisons I find the newly quoted rate is seemingly universal. Makes me curious as to how long has everyone had these rates and have they just steadily increased during my previous contract? Seems there would have been others to complain if they received a 60% rate increase.

GJ,

Good choice of flicks. I managed to get Red & Red2, both of which I love. Malkovich (sp) and Helen Mirren are so great playing off Bruce Willis.

Memorial Villages still no power and parts no cell service.

People need to sit their *** at home until they need something. There is NO GAS SHORTAGE, just a bunch of cretins thinking we're going to be told to evacuate tonite. If they wait until the tank is low, then there will be NO lines.

Like I posted on another thread, Center Point has between $3 & $4 billion in infrastructure needs, but that was displayed during Ike over a decade ago. PUC (******* Until Challenged) needs to bitchslap Center Point back into the middle ages.

Again, I'm pissed at the changes Chicago has made, but showing on a map the locations that are open is wonderful. Then, again, sitting as #82 or 84 in a double line to get to the drive-thru leaves something to be desired.

Utility companies have PUC rate cases every 2 years, in Texas anyway. It can be a rough situation for them. For example, building millions of dollars of infrastructure in remote locations that will only serve small amounts of residents and businesses but are required to serve….they will never recoup that money unless they get a favorable rate case where rates are distributed to all customers within the utility company’s footprint. If they don’t get a favorable ruling, they lose investors and credit rating drops. In that case, you get minimal infrastructure new builds and repairs. In the most recent rate case, all Texas utilities were mandated to present a resiliency plan for PUC approval. This will end up costing customers, but the plan is to lower outages, outage times, infrastructure upgrades, wildfire mitigation, staff increases, etc.

Recent Threads

Back