China

Some disclaimers: I have quit watching news programs, and have been off west mall for like 3 years, so I am less informed on “current events” than most. My post was about the fairly noncontroversial (but true) things that could be said, which a hyper sensitive person could take as propaganda. My German teacher in high school was from Germany. She was a sweet plump hausfrau. She was timid against the harsh energy of American teenagers in the mid 70s, so about 1/4 of class time was the class just out of control; 1/4 was spent learning German culture ( which at the time I thought was fabulously uninteresting—dumb costume fashions from the past, festivals they have, traditional dances they do, famous German composers). Somehow, in the other time, I learned enough German in two high-school years to place out of 14 hours of class at UT—-but I digress.

I don’t really remember specifics, but I do remember that she loved Germany as her homeland in a completely nonpolitical way. I have now been to Germany many times, and whatever else can be said, the kinds of things she loved in her homeland I can verify to be true. The geography, especially the alpine regions, is often pure glory; the people are mentally lively, inventive, capable. The beer and sausage are better. I bet if I had a few years to poke around in China, I would come to experience geography that exceeds what is in Germany. If I spoke native Mandarin and were Chinese in heritage, and could run around over there for a couple of years, some of the biographies lived, personal accomplishments made, family stories to be told—mental liveliness, inventiveness, and capability——of who is alive in China in 2023 as we speak—-all I am saying is that when I read this article, I wonder whether people who are stressing about China for some reason (like some PAC put together for the purpose of being concerned about China) might hear the same kind of thing as my German teacher said and call it propaganda.

Then, once a group is up and going like that, yeah, if I’m China, I’m going to have someone meet with the exchange teacher ahead of time and say, “look, watch out for what you say, or you are going to make a public international incident and you are a dumb high school teacher and we can’t trust you with international commentary, so don’t say anything about A, B, or C. If you want to talk about geography or festivals or how amazing China is, knock yourself out, but stay away from A, B, and C. We good? Have fun in America and we rest assured you’ll be coming back!”

Some disclaimers: I have quit watching news programs, and have been off west mall for like 3 years, so I am less informed on “current events” than most. My post was about the fairly noncontroversial (but true) things that could be said, which a hyper sensitive person could take as propaganda. My German teacher in high school was from Germany. She was a sweet plump hausfrau. She was timid against the harsh energy of American teenagers in the mid 70s, so about 1/4 of class time was the class just out of control; 1/4 was spent learning German culture ( which at the time I thought was fabulously uninteresting—dumb costume fashions from the past, festivals they have, traditional dances they do, famous German composers). Somehow, in the other time, I learned enough German in two high-school years to place out of 14 hours of class at UT—-but I digress.

I don’t really remember specifics, but I do remember that she loved Germany as her homeland in a completely nonpolitical way. I have now been to Germany many times, and whatever else can be said, the kinds of things she loved in her homeland I can verify to be true. The geography, especially the alpine regions, is often pure glory; the people are mentally lively, inventive, capable. The beer and sausage are better. I bet if I had a few years to poke around in China, I would come to experience geography that exceeds what is in Germany. If I spoke native Mandarin and were Chinese in heritage, and could run around over there for a couple of years, some of the biographies lived, personal accomplishments made, family stories to be told—mental liveliness, inventiveness, and capability——of who is alive in China in 2023 as we speak—-all I am saying is that when I read this article, I wonder whether people who are stressing about China for some reason (like some PAC put together for the purpose of being concerned about China) might hear the same kind of thing as my German teacher said and call it propaganda.

Then, once a group is up and going like that, yeah, if I’m China, I’m going to have someone meet with the exchange teacher ahead of time and say, “look, watch out for what you say, or you are going to make a public international incident and you are a dumb high school teacher and we can’t trust you with international commentary, so don’t say anything about A, B, or C. If you want to talk about geography or festivals or how amazing China is, knock yourself out, but stay away from A, B, and C. We good? Have fun in America and we rest assured you’ll be coming back!”

Again, all of those things could be said about the USSR. We could find beautiful places in the Soviet Union and very decent, proud Soviet citizens with all kinds of great accomplishments and family stories. But that wasn't the focus when we discussed the Soviet Union - not because it wasn't true but because it wasn't particularly relevant to the country's relations with the United States. What was relevant was that it was a country that clearly was hostile to the United States and made major efforts to undermine and weaken the US and its people. Ditto for China.

Again, all of those things could be said about the USSR. We could find beautiful places in the Soviet Union and very decent, proud Soviet citizens with all kinds of great accomplishments and family stories. But that wasn't the focus when we discussed the Soviet Union - not because it wasn't true but because it wasn't particularly relevant to the country's relations with the United States. What was relevant was that it was a country that clearly was hostile to the United States and made major efforts to undermine and weaken the US and its people. Ditto for China.
I could be wrong, as I admitted, but my gut feeling is that the K-12 teachers from China (and I assume they are teaching Chinese language for high school foreign language credit), are probably not participating in any orchestrated effort to undermine and weaken us. Since the article did not give any example of what bothered anyone, even a teacher commenting on the party or anything, I have to speculate that the comments were benign, and the one-by-one listing of our military installations that happened to be near a high school where Chinese is offered as a foreign language was pure theater. Definitely alert me when China is caught with high school teachers that are like the lead characters in “The Russians.” I definitely want to know when that is actually happening. Do you think it is?
Seriously, I am willing to be corrected.

I could be wrong, as I admitted, but my gut feeling is that the K-12 teachers from China (and I assume they are teaching Chinese language for high school foreign language credit), are probably not participating in any orchestrated effort to undermine and weaken us. Since the article did not give any example of what bothered anyone, even a teacher commenting on the party or anything, I have to speculate that the comments were benign, and the one-by-one listing of our military installations that happened to be near a high school where Chinese is offered as a foreign language was pure theater. Definitely alert me when China is caught with high school teachers that are like the lead characters in “The Russians.” I definitely want to know when that is actually happening. Do you think it is?
Seriously, I am willing to be corrected.

If you want to give them the benefit of the doubt, that's fine. You can do that, but I won't. Any group that is affiliated with the CCP or its apologists shouldn't be anywhere near an American public school or institution.

He assumes that letting Putin have Ukraine will pull him away from China. I highly doubt that it would.

Not that it would work, but he doesn't just assume it. He says that would be part of the peace negotiation. The US would grant Russia territory and re-establish economic ties to the West in exchange for them distancing themselves from China. It might not work, but at least it is a plan with some specifics.

Not that it would work, but he doesn't just assume it. He says that would be part of the peace negotiation. The US would grant Russia territory and re-establish economic ties to the West in exchange for them distancing themselves from China. It might not work, but at least it is a plan with some specifics.

I know it would be part of a peace negotiation, but yes, he is pretty much implying that it would. I think he's wrong for two reasons. First, China is too important of a customer (or alternative customer) for Russian oil and gas. Second, any kind of deal like that would undoubtedly require him foreiting any possible territorial expansions to the West. He's not going to do that, and even if he claimed to, I doubt he'd be believed.

By the way, I don't blame him. China is a big reason why he can afford to wage war right now. He'd be crazy to abandon them when they expect little in return. If he cut them off, he'd be reliant on the West, and that means having to play ball with NATO and the end of any territorial expansion to the West. No reason to do that if he doesn't have to.

In todays world strange things are becoming normal - look at our commander ‘n’ chief. If China gets desperate enough look out.

Territory that is ours to grant?

We'd promise the Russians to stop helping Ukraine if they only take some agreed-upon piece of land from them. Same thing Chamberlain and Daladier did with Czechs in 1938, though I think we'd be more tactful about it than they were. We would bring the Ukrainians into the process to give the illusion that they're blessing the deal even if they aren't.

Russia would much prefer to partner with Europe than eat whatever China is selling.

In a vacuum, probably so but not if they have to give up territorial claims to the West. That should be pretty clear from the fact that they were willing to completely alienate Europe to invade Ukraine.

guy
Agree. I am sure there are Repubs who are treasonous. Haven't read of any lately. Maybe they just haven't been caught yet.
But Dayum the number of Demx just in past 3 years is scary. AND these traitors have all been in positions to access nside knowledge. The one exception might be Feinstein's chinese spy.Wasn't he just a driver?

guy
Agree. I am sure there are Repubs who are treasonous. Haven't read of any lately. Maybe they just haven't been caught yet.
But Dayum the number of Demx just in past 3 years is scary. AND these traitors have all been in positions to access nside knowledge. The one exception might be Feinstein's chinese spy.Wasn't he just a driver?
Maybe he was tasked with driving old Feinstein the way FengFeng was tasked to allow Swalwell to drive her. Ew...Gross.

Both parties used to ***** for China and for unpatriotic American business interests. Nowadays, Democrats do it more, and of course, they're all the universities. I'll bet there are Linda Suns all over the place. Makes me wonder what she did to piss off DoJ.

Both parties used to ***** for China and for unpatriotic American business interests. Nowadays, Democrats do it more, and of course, they're all the universities. I'll bet there are Linda Suns all over the place. Makes me wonder what she did to piss off DoJ.

Garland needs some moves against foreign enemies to make Harris look good for moderates. It's just a lot easier to nail spies attached to Ds than Rs.

But Chairman Deng had them on the path to peace and prosperity and friendship with the USA--especially with Houston and Texas.

What happened?

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Back