Calm, Rational, Realistic Post Game Thoughts

Last night may prove to be a blessing in disguise. We were manhandled, and some may argue, by a much more talented team. I don’t believe it. More likely, Kirby Smart challenged the manhood of his players, pointing out that everybody believed Texas is (was) the best team in the country. After all, heck, everyone picked Texas to win this game, including Saban.

Football games are won by angry people. I think Darrell K. Royal said that. Last night, Georgia was angry, we were not. To me the game was similar to last year’s Oklahoma game although, obviously, this Georgia team has a heck of a lot more talent than that Oklahoma team did.

Last night was a blessing in disguise because it was a wake up call. This team now understands that they have to come ready for a fight, or they’re going to get their a** whooped again. And more than any other other position group, I’m talking about the OL.

So if we see Georgia again, and I certainly hope that we do, I think the attitude we are going to bring will be quite different than what we saw last night. Georgia “is” very talented but heck, look at how Alabama “manhandled and dominated them” in the first half several weeks ago.

I do not dislike Quinn. I agree, he is an outstanding young man. That game in which Todd whipped Riley haunts me, because I was told Quinn was the next Mahomes - makes all the throws. Then when he skipped his senior year to go to Columbus, it added to my concerns. Still, I believed he could be "it".

He was clearly bothered by something last night, but the physical should not have overcome the basics like overview of the field before the snap. He was "off". I would think that last night cost him a lot of money, but the NFL thinks they know everything and can fix anything, so we will see.

Texas offensive line looked small and slow against a Georgia defensive line that looked big, angry, and out to do damage. There isn’t another DL out there like Georgia’s left on the schedule. Tough to swallow loss but Texas had one mulligan for the year and just used it if it wants to be in the playoff.

Per Ketchum of Orangebloods, Quinn admits he is still affected by the oblique injury. (Finally.)

Time to start Arch. He beats Vandy – yes, he will – has two weeks of prep with the first team offense before they play Florida at home, then he’s ready to go to Arkansas.

After all, heck, everyone picked Texas to win this game, including Saban.
Yep, saw that with my very own eyes. Darned if I ever trust them again.
Gameday pic.jpeg

I dont know if it made a difference in our preparation but I think playing Georgia a week after OU was not good for us. No matter how weak OU is I'm guessing our guys spent a lot of energy on that game. I'm not making an excuse. It was clear last night which team was better. I do ask myself where has this Georgia team been all year? But that's a question for the A hole who coaches them, not me.

Sabre, I didn't mean to insinuate that you don't like Ewers. I was essentially agreeing with you about his skill set. Unlike some, I'm not ready to make a switch at QB. It's not like Arch looked all that great when he was in the game last night.

No problem. As mentioned in a couple of other posts, we needed a "hot read" and either didn't have it or didn't recognize the need.

- Georgia showed up to play. Texas didn’t.
- Quinn was throwing bullets and hitting receivers in stride before his injury. He’s back to lobbing his throws and looks at only one receiver. Too statue-ish. Still injured?
- Probably should have stuck with Arch since he can move his feet.
- How does an OL that averages about 315 lbs get pushed around like that?
- What happened to our punter pipeline? No chance to flip the field with this guy.
- Throwing crap on the field was stupid.
- I trust Sark will fix the issues.
- Don’t let one loss become two. Got to show up against Vandy.
- Kirby Smart sounds like a high school coach. A well paid high school coach.
Damn you put my thoughts in a post more succinctly and clearly that I could have. Thanks!

re the sportsmanship aspect, one thing that rankles me is the way the people in the north endzone boo the opposing team when it comes out pre game. Very tacky and rude to people who are, after all, guests.

As for throwing stuff on the field, which looked to me to come entirely from the north end, I wonder if they realize how much they remind me of the younger fans at Tech when they play in Lubbock

This assessment, starting at about the 22 minute mark, is worth watching for about five minutes.

That's really goodl Landon Holifield gives a great explanation of the oblique injury and I have no doubt that QE is still hurt. Go watch the throws in made in Michigan game and he was a shell of that passer in the OU and GA games.

I think they worked on the injury at half, injections or something and he came out sharper in 2nd half but we were climbing a hill too steep.

We need him to get healthy in a hurry because it's clear Sark thinks QE gives them the best chance to win.

Per Ketchum of Orangebloods, Quinn admits he is still affected by the oblique injury. (Finally.)

Time to start Arch. He beats Vandy – yes, he will – has two weeks of prep with the first team offense before they play Florida at home, then he’s ready to go to Arkansas.

WTF QE!!

Why were you not 100% honest to play with Sark?

IF TRUE.

YOU, hurt the team and your lack of honesty was a factor in losing this game. IF TRUE.

I'm the last one to want a QB controversy. But I say start Manning vs. Vandy until this issue is settled and QE is 100%.

Last edited:
WTF QE!!

Why were you not 100% honest to play with Sark?

If true, YOU, hurt the team and your lack of honesty was a factor in losing this game.

I'm the last one to want a QB controversy. But I say start Manning vs. Vandy until this issue is settled and QE is 100%.
Nothing in that report to suggest he wasn’t 100% honest with Sark. I think with their relationship he was very open and transparent with Sark and the medical staff.

I think this gives clarity to the play calling both last week in OU and last night. Sark called short lateral passes, screens and dump offs to protect QE from having to plant and drive the ball down the field. I think it’s also why Quinn is tentative to climb the pocket.

It’s probably more of a commentary for discussion that Sark thinks an injured QE is still our best option to win.

^^^ sorry to disagree.

Hope I'm honoring thread theme, being calm...

I love the kid. However, he is not the same Q as vs Mich. He ain't throwing like then. @dukesteer is right.... something is not right with Ewers.

I'm a .02 fan, but I'm concerned, if he knew, Sark would choose his ~ 90% healthy QB vs a Top 5 team D team when you got a very capable Manning on the bench.

Last edited:
^^^ sorry to disagree.

Hope I'm honoring thread theme, being calm...

I love the kid. However, he is not the same Q as vs Mich. He ain't throwing like then. @dukesteer is right.... something is not right with Ewers.

I'm a .02 fan, but I'm concerned, if he knew, Sark would choose his ~ 90% healthy QB vs a Top 5 team D team when you got a very capable Manning on the bench.
You think Sark is that stupid to watch the kid and not be able to know he is injured? I think there were 102k people last night that all could tell he isn't 100%. I don't know how anyone could watch that OU game last week and not be able to tell he is hurt.

I have been the biggest QE fan around and honestly have not been a Manning fan since watching 3 of his games in high school but I was screaming from the top of my lungs from Section 13 to put Manning in after our 4th drive and 3rd consecutive 3rd and out last night. I also think once you put Manning in, it should have been his game to ride out either way. A Georgia fan asked me at half if Quinn was coming back in and said no way.

Having said all that, I think Sark knows 100% what's up and has still chosen to ride out Quinn. Who know the reasons but to think Sark doesn't know he is hurt I think is naive.

Ok I probably broke the theme of the thread... being calm.

Last edited:
Hui, boos do not come exclusively from the north side let me assure you and I’m on the agreement of not liking it. Been going on and complained about on this board before now.
Those morons throwing water bottles were predominately north end zone students but I’d say 20-30% were also from the east side student section. It was an awful embarrassment and where blame can be assigned there should be punishment. Don’t know how they’ll identify the guilty though. Alcohol prompted behavior is likely a cause and is more predominant in a night game and that’s a shame.

re the sportsmanship aspect, one thing that rankles me is the way the people in the north endzone boo the opposing team when it comes out pre game. Very tacky and rude to people who are, after all, guests.

As for throwing stuff on the field, which looked to me to come entirely from the north end, I wonder if they realize how much they remind me of the younger fans at Tech when they play in Lubbock

They were stupid for doing what they did. However, their actions did cause the officials to huddle, discuss, and make the correct decision (per the $EC Office). So all we lack is Kirby Smart's apology (and a $250,00 to Georgia fine for falsely accusing the officials of changing the call).

I was screaming from the top of my lungs from Section 13
So that was you I saw from my Section 2 vantage point!

At the start of the year, if I had to pick one game to lose, I'd have picked this one. Not a rival, and opponent is high-quality so the loss is forgiveable.

Yeah, it sucks, but there is a lot of parity this year, nobody looks dominant, and while we have a very good lineup we aren't exactly the 2005 Horns either. Highly likely every good team has 1 or even 2 losses by the end.

Georgia came into the game having been punched in the mouth a couple of games ago, The dogs then recovered their mojo. That's valuable. Texas will remember what happens when you fail to match the intesity of a quality opponent. Thats a lesson we needed before facing Arkansas and A&M.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-VANDERBILT *
Sat, Oct 26 • 3:15 PM on SECN

Recent Threads

Back