'23 - '24 Season

Hi UT Tennis Fan,
Rain forced us inside again last night, but our team played a strong match against a good UCLA team, and came away with another 4-0 win to advance to the Sweet 16 (UCLA recap). Our NCAA Tournament Round of 16 match will be Friday night (May 10) at 6 pm, and we are playing Texas A&M! This will absolutely be the last home match for Eliot, Micah, Siem, Cleeve, Eshan, and Evin. Please make every effort to be there (Texas Tennis Center) if it is at all possible. And recruit your friends and any Texas fan you can find! Let's pack the TTC one more time, and help send this special team out with a bang! Plan on getting there early, so you can be sure to get a seat! Hook'em!

Sincerely,
Bruce Berque

Hi UT Tennis Fan,
I'm writing with a final reminder about our last home match of the year. It will be an NCAA Round of 16 showdown with Texas A&M. We are expecting another packed house, so if you are planning on coming, you would be wise to get there early, and get a good seat. For a full preview of the match, please click on this press release. Thanks so much for all of your support. I'll be back in touch again soon after the match. Hook'em!

Sincerely,
Bruce Berque

Hi UT Tennis Fan,
In front of another packed house of over 1100 fans, our guys played a complete team match, and beat Texas A&M by the score of 4-0 last night. Click on this match recap for all the details. Up next is a trip to Stillwater for a Thursday quarterfinal vs the winner of today's match between Florida State and Tennessee. For those of you interested in making the trip to watch please click here for hotel information. I'll be in touch again in the next few days with more information. Until then, have a great weekend, and Hook'em!

Sincerely,
Bruce Berque

Hi UT Tennis Fan,
In front of another packed house of over 1100 fans, our guys played a complete team match, and beat Texas A&M by the score of 4-0 last night. Click on this match recap for all the details. Up next is a trip to Stillwater for a Thursday quarterfinal vs the winner of today's match between Florida State and Tennessee. For those of you interested in making the trip to watch please click here for hotel information. I'll be in touch again in the next few days with more information. Until then, have a great weekend, and Hook'em!

Sincerely,
Bruce Berque
Glorious!

In their frustration at losing to Daddy Texas (once again), aggy tennis went home and helped the ag boys do some meat grading.

AllBack2web.jpg

Not sure exactly why their backsides are all wallered out like that, but I understand the tennis guys are a lot more relaxed today.

Hi UT Tennis Fan,
It has been a busy few days since our big NCAA Round of 16 win over Texas A&M, but we made it to Stillwater and have already gotten a few practices in on the match courts. We are now set to play our quarterfinal match vs Tennessee tomorrow (Thursday) at 4 pm. For a full preview, including links to live scores, streaming, and Cracked Rackets Broadcasts on ESPN +, please click on this press release. And if you would like to check out the interview that Eliot and I did yesterday please click here. I know Stillwater is not typically at the top of everyone's destination list, but it would be pretty cool if we could get some friendly faces in the crowd to support this team on their final run! Let's go! Hook'em!

Sincerely,
Bruce Berque

Wow! Texas #3 and #4 wins their 2nd sets 7-5 and 7-6, respectively, after being behind most of the 2nd set. Pulled it out of their ***!

Texas wins 4-2.

Hi UT Tennis Fan,
I am going to keep this brief, as we need to get focused on the task at hand. Our team once again showed great Texas Fight yesterday, and picked up 4 singles wins in straight sets after dropping the doubles point to Wake Forest (full recap of our 4-2 win over Wake Forest in the semifinal). Our NCAA Championship match will be at 4 pm today in Stillwater (preview). If there is any chance at all for you to be here, our guys would sure appreciate it. This will be the last team match for what has been a very special team. Thanks for all your support throughout the season! Hook'em!

Sincerely,
Bruce Berque

TCU wins the doubles point.

For the six singles matches, it is 3-3 in terms of the first set victories, which means Texas needs to comeback and win a 2-1 match in the 3 matches they are behind 0-1 after the first set. Going to be a nail biter.

Last edited:
Nail biter for sure.

TCU has won a singles match - they have 2 wins now (need 4 to win). Texas has won a singles match. So, it is 2-1 TCU in matches.

However, of the remaining 4 singles matches, Texas is either tied or winning. Texas needs to win 3 out of the remaining 4 matches.

Now 2-2 with Texas winning another singles match. Of the three remaining singles matches:

- Texas is down 0-1 in sets, but winning the 2nd set.
- Texas is tied 1-1 in sets and starting the 3rd set.
- Texas is tied 1-1 in sets and winning the 3rd set.

Last edited:
Update on the three remaining singles matches that will determine the national championship:

- Texas is tied 1-1 in sets and winning the 3rd set.
- Texas is tied 1-1 in sets and tied in 3rd set.

Texas no. 1 tennis player (Eliot Spizzarri) is now down 1-3 in 3rd set. He won the first set handily but is struggling now. Did I say nail biter?

Now 3-2 with Texas winning another singles match!!! Of the 2 remaining singles matches:

- Texas is tied 1-1 in sets and losing the 3rd set.

Not looking good for Texas in the last 2 singles matches. Behind in 3rd set in both cases. Time for some Texas Fight!

Now 3-3 with Texas losing a singles match. Texas no. 1 tennis player (Eliot Spizzarri) loses 2-6 in 3rd set.

The national championship now will be decided by the no. 5 singles match. Texas is losing 1-3 in the 3rd set.

It’s difficult for a team to win when they lose both the doubles match and the no. 1 singles match.

Did I say nail biter?

Texas losing 3-4 in 3rd set in the decisive singles match. Texas was down 0-3!

Last edited:
Crap! Texas couldn’t hold serve. Now losing 3-5. It could have been 4-4! Texas has to break TCU serve and then hold serve to make it 5-5.

Texas loses 3-6 in 3rd and final set of the day. TCU won it today by winning the key 3rd sets in the last two matches.

The ref really wanted tcu to win. They called a bonus overrule third set deuce with spizz and JPJ. Overrule gave JPJ the ace and decisive win on the deuce game. U can’t overrule that to decide to game. Spizz never recovered after that bad call :(

Hi UT Tennis Fan,
Now that the dust has settled from our team season, I thought I would circle back to thank you for your interest and support this season. Although we came up a few points short of another NCAA team title, it was certainly a season to remember. Highlights include: Big 12 Championships; record breaking home crowds; an NCAA tournament run to the final that included wins over UCLA, Texas A&M, Tennessee, and Wake Forest; two different players ranked #1 in the country; and a very special group of young men who had the time of their lives representing the Burnt Orange. We are still alive with Eliot Spizzirri and Cleeve Harper in the semifinals today of the NCAA doubles draw, and you can count on those guys fighting all the way through. I will be in touch again in the coming weeks, but for now, thank you so much for your support, and Hook'em!

Sincerely,
Bruce Berque

Hi UT Tennis Fan,
I realize that we have barely closed the books on the 2024 season, but I wanted to give you a little update on our roster for next year. We recently signed two great players for the coming season, both named Sebastian. Sebastian Eriksson (from Sweden) has been one of the top junior players in the world, and Sebastian Gorzny will come to Texas as a transfer from TCU. That's right.....that Sebastian Gorzny! After clinching the national championship against us a few weeks ago, he will now be on our side! By the way, as I write this e-mail, he just wont the doubles title at the San Diego pro $15,000 futures event. Click on both players' highlighted names above to learn more about each.

I will be in touch with you this summer as news breaks, but obviously less frequently than during the season. I hope you are having a great start to your summer!

Sincerely,
Bruce Berque

Recent Threads

Back