2024 Season updates

aUTfan

2,500+ Posts
*Update: decided to change the thread name to reflect the 2024 season as we progress with updates on players and schedules etc.

LSU and Texas will be squaring off early again next season. We will be playing Vanderbilt and Texas St. as well.

Last edited:

He's very right! If Hayden Morris doesn't go high enough in the draft to make it worthwhile to skip college, he'll be a big factor in our pitching staff as early as this coming season. Mean, fearless, large, aggressive pitcher with some really good "stuff". Morris doesn't just pound the strike zone, he pounds it into mincemeat. .

No batters will ever charge the mound if Morris was to bean them.

:ut::ut::ut:

Last edited:

No one else to blame if the pitching staff takes a big step backward. Or if it’s a super successful, all the accolades goes to DP.

DP has done it before, not sure it’s a wise choice but :idk:

And I couldn’t help but post this one…

Max Weiner….what a name, cause the first thing that popped in my head was…..

that’s what she said.

Another one headed to campus.

I'm betting G-Wagon signs with the Houston Astros, even for a fairly low $ amount. The indications are that he's ready to go pro and start working his way up the minor leagues.

That means the Catcher spot is wide open.

Schuessler - the best proven college bat of anyone we have at C if G-Wagon is gone. A good, maybe very good, bat. Hits for average and power. Is hitting around 0.280 in Summer Ball coming back off his finger injury. Pretty good defensively. Unless Guillemette doesn't sign, I'd say the C job is probably Schuesler's to lose.

Galvan - good power at bat, really good power at bat. Can hit a homer further than anyone on the team. But he must fix his batting average and propensity to swing at junk pitches WAY out of the strike zone. Is always swinging for the fences. Could improve some defensively as well.

Nik Sanders - ??? Lots of really good things are said about him by people who get paid to scout and share their opinions.

Oliver Service - Most likely to become a star by the time he's done here. Future super-star. Kind of lean and lightweight for a catcher right now, but has a really good arm. Stud at bat. Everyone's All-everything in high school (against Michigan competition...). Might start out as the DH or a play-everywhere Utility player. Just get him lots and lots of at-bats. Pierce better not sit Service on the bench and forget about him this coming year. A very good athlete who has played OF, and could probably play any position but pitcher (maybe he could do that as well?). The one interview I've seen of him shows loud and clear that a lack-of-confidence, or feeling that he's not good enough, will definitely NOT be a problem for this young man. Most long-term potential of any of our catchers. Will he be ready by next season...???

Fahrlander - ???

Hoffart - ??? If nothing else, this young man has learned some valuable lessons, and should be congratulated for sticking it out, persevering, and being a good teammate. And kudos to Pierce for keeping him on. It might be inappropriate to raise a glass in toast of him though... :rolleyes1:

Last edited:
I wasn't counting on GG or hardly any of the upper classmen to return. I am beyond baffled as to why LBJ didn't get drafted, it was disrespectful in my opinion. kid can flat out pitch. I'm glad that it appears he is going to be back though, he's going to put up great numbers next year for us. Definitely one of our weekend starters.

I wasn't counting on GG or hardly any of the upper classmen to return. I am beyond baffled as to why LBJ didn't get drafted, it was disrespectful in my opinion. kid can flat out pitch. I'm glad that it appears he is going to be back though, he's going to put up great numbers next year for us. Definitely one of our weekend starters.

I'm hoping he feels the same way and comes back with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove. If he wasn't draftable this year what would he be like for us if he's pissed, works his tail off and gets even better next year??? :hookem:

I'm hoping he feels the same way and comes back with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove. If he wasn't draftable this year what would he be like for us if he's pissed, works his tail off and gets even better next year??? :hookem:

If I had continued my post, what you wrote is about exactly what I would have said, I was thinking it.

Good news on Tanner Witt.

He's under the tutelage of former Longhorn pitching coach Tom Holliday up in Chatham. Witt seems to be progressing back towards an excellent pitcher.

"Witt is still working his way back to where he was as a pitcher before surgery. He has impressed Chatham manager Tom Holliday with how he has handled himself every step of the way. “Nobody pulls for Tanner Witt harder than I do,” Holliday said. “When your velocity goes from 95 to 90 and you’re still pitching and smiling and having fun like he is… it’s great.”

In his most recent outing, Witt pitched four shutout innings against Harwich where he struck out five and allowed one hit. Holliday is hoping Witt can continue to build up his confidence during this stint in Chatham." “I think that he needs to walk off the mountain feeling really good about himself again,” Holliday said. “He hasn’t had that and he’s the kind of guy that people in the dugout pull for him because he’s a great teammate.”

FishingBoatsPG.jpg

upload_2023-7-12_16-11-55.jpeg

428 Days: Tanner Witt's Recovery and Redemption

yes, I forgot to cross post this in here. It’s great news.

LBJ and Witt….hopefully Witt comes all the way back and I think he will. I thought Witt was pretty close toward the end of the season. Many probably disagree but he will likely get close to previous form, it takes a while to get that velocity back, that takes many long tosses to get that back.

I’m still concerned about our offense and the health of our pitching staff, many of our arms have had previous injuries. Need Belyeu and Flores to produce at the plate, could be a pretty good season if they do.

*and Galvan if he wins the starting catcher spot.

Last edited:
I imagine by mid season that these two will be dominating the college landscape. Now we only need to have a couple of solid relievers and a closer.

Hurley could either start on Sunday or be a reliever. Lummus was serviceable as a reliever for an inning or two, I expect he will be good for that next season at a minimum. Whitehead is good for an inning or two.

that leaves Oliver Santos, Will M., Will R. And Gage to fill in the roles mentioned above.

All of a sudden we look deep enough to compete barring we stay away from injuries.

and we haven’t heard from Morehouse and Stehle yet. One or both come back we will likely be the deepest team in the country with a top ten ERA. And one injury likely wouldnt derail us.

:bevo: Back-to-back Big 12 pitchers of the year: 2023-Gordon; 2024-LBJ

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I doubt there's a better splitter in the college game. He's long been able to throw fastballs in the high 90s. And this past season, LBJ got some consistent control down. And that splitter just looks better and better. On top of that, there are not too many sliders coming in at 88-90 mph in the college game. Shucks, there are not too many sliders coming in at 88-90 mph in MLB either.

OF is looking pretty strong now.

Brown (all-conference level returnee)

Cummings (All-around, multi-tool OF; batting, range, speed, arm; models sunglasses on the side; JC college experience)

Belyeu (bat is so nasty, he may end up the DH)

Gasparino (HS phenom; excellent athlete; very tall -- experts had him being drafted in the Top 100)

Werchan (Penn transfer: a very, very fast OF who is one of the nation's best bunters; probably a situational guy--will pinch run and pinch hit when we need a bunt; can get infield hits off of bunts ala EK; provides capable depth and experience)

Service (another HS phenom with really good arm and bat; fast enough to be an OF, and his arm is strong enough to to be a catcher; long-term likelihood of stardom = very high; maybe a "Utility" player his Freshman year; good enough bat to be in the lineup in plenty of significant situations next year)

Constantine (quietly sat the bench for years; is batting pretty decent in Summer ball)

Peterson (?)

Czech (? His sister is the best pitcher on our softball team)

[ Note: David Thomas and Ace Whitehead can also play OF if we suffer injuries and/or our newcomers turn out to not be very good.]

Last edited:
Agreed, I think the outfield is set and should be in similar form as this most recent group in all phases but assists. Time will tell, hard to replace EK and Campbell’s excellent and accurate arms.

That most likely means Jared Thomas will stay at 1st. Powell at 3rd, Flores at SS. Still have to figure out 2nd and C. Even if O’Dowd returns, I would like to see a better set of hands at 2nd with a little more range but O’Dowd is no slouch and his offense improved at the end of the season.

Flores is very good defensively. He just has to keep improving at the plate. We won’t go into conference play with a SS batting under 0.200. I think Flores will get it together at the plate—but he does have to get it together at the plate. That’s not optional.

The scouts and swing mechanics guys really like him, but we’ve got to see performance before conference play starts. And I think we will. Borba lingers in wait if either Flores or O’Dowd are stinking it up at the plate.

I was told we needed to panic about next season.

It wasn’t going to be a great season without LBJ and Witt but now all of sudden, it becomes very interesting. Neither should have returned. I can’t believe Powell didn’t get drafted either, he bats left. Very baffling draft this year. Im not complaining but until the recent developments, my expectations were very low for next season.

and we still have some incoming freshmen pitchers that may be able to contribute heavily, Witt and LBJ take pressure off those guys. Huge to have them two back.

Sweeny (1B, DH, ?) is also supposed to have a really good bat.

Unless an awful lot of our incoming players are busts, we're going to be quite good.

:ut::ut::ut:

Recent Threads

Back