2023 Softball Season

I wonder....if they've been told there's not a spot for them their 5th year?

Many just don't think the grind is worth it. With virtually no scholarship money, the amount of time and effort dedicated with no softball future after college there's a breaking point for a lot of players where it's just time to move on. I'm not sure if these players have graduated but if so that plays a role in that decision too.

Many just don't think the grind is worth it. With virtually no scholarship money, the amount of time and effort dedicated with no softball future after college there's a breaking point for a lot of players where it's just time to move on. I'm not sure if these players have graduated but if so that plays a role in that decision too.
Agree. Although I think(?) that NIL has now given each player some money, more than the zero they were getting before.

Also, I know that some players don't want to play pro-softball afterward their college career is done. Maybe as you said, 4 years is enough, and it's time to get on with real life. I know that's what players like Slack and Parker did. Just got on with real life post-softball.

BOSq15W.png

The comparison of stats looks good for the Longhorns. However, games are played on the field, not on paper. The girls still need to focus and play their best game to win.

I didn't see this coming. I remembered last year's game but didn't give any thought of it happening again...sigh

absolutely shocked Mike White put in Estelle in relief first and not Sophia. Not a good coaching decision especially considering she is usually our game 2 starter and pitched terrible a couple nights ago.

Sophia is pitching well. Take her out. We will need her later in the series and the less AB’s they see against her the better. This game is burned. Give Courtney Day some innings.

absolutely shocked Mike White put in Estelle in relief first and not Sophia. Not a good coaching decision especially considering she is usually our game 2 starter and pitched terrible a couple nights ago.
To me it made sense. Citlaly will pitch Saturday and Mac again on Sunday.

But this was me after the first inning:
ZPZBXgU.jpg

Sophia is pitching well. Take her out. We will need her later in the series and the less AB’s they see against her the better. This game is burned. Give Courtney Day some innings.
In my opinion, Sophia pitched well because there was no pressure on her. Everyone knew the game was out of reach and most likely to end in a run-rule. And it might be a bit selfish, but none of the runs were from players she put on base. It was frustrating to see some walks, but it was also nice to see her get out of bases loaded.

And she actually struck out players!

Can't let this become the softball's version of baseball vs ou. Relax, quit swinging at bad pitches and get the bats heated up. Although I must say 2 different strike zones isn't helping either.

Anyone know why the next two games are in Waco?
Texas/Baylor always do this, just like playing the 1st game against ou in OKC and the next 2 in Norman. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me and I'm not sure of the logic behind it, but someone in the athletic dept's thought it would be cool.

Texas/Baylor always do this, just like playing the 1st game against ou in OKC and the next 2 in Norman. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me and I'm not sure of the logic behind it, but someone in the athletic dept's thought it would be cool.
That is totally different. OU hosted the 3 game series and only one game was moved to OKC due to fan demand.

Anyone know why the next two games are in Waco?
UT and Baylor have been doing this since Connie's time. I'm not sure when it started. But because of the relatively short distances between the campuses they came up with this type of schedule.

Texas did in-season home-and-away series this year with Sam Houston State and Texas State also because of the relatively short driving distance.

Baseball also used to do this with Baylor - split the series between home fields. I think they did it with A&M also when they were still in the conference. I don't remember when it stopped.

I'm starting to ask myself how realistic is it for me to think 5 freshmen could lead this team deep into the season? I really miss Janae and Mary's leadership

Team is playing scared. Day muffing that ball? WTF?

And the announcers were talking about how Baylor wants to keep the ball on the ground. Right? Why are we going for the HR ball?

Team is playing scared. Day muffing that ball? WTF?

And the announcers were talking about how Baylor wants to keep the ball on the ground. Right? Why are we going for the HR ball?
You are right Racer. After the first inning of both games I felt everyone was trying to win the game with one big swing. I think that is where I'm missing my upper class leadership. I respect Baylor program but if we are top 8 in the country, at this point in the season we should be playing consistently better than this.

What a terrible series we played. Is CC hurt or something because this lineup all weekend was not very good to begin with. I don’t know why things were changed so much after coming off a sweep of Ok state. I hope we come better next week because the season won’t last much longer if we play like that.

One of yall talk me off this ledge....Now I don't see us with a top 8 seed. I thought going into the weekend we were a lock but this weekend has been "worse case scenario". Not sure B12 tourney results will change anything.

One of yall talk me off this ledge....Now I don't see us with a top 8 seed. I thought going into the weekend we were a lock but this weekend has been "worse case scenario". Not sure B12 tourney results will change anything.
No, we've lost top 8 RPI. We were sitting at 7, but since other teams are still playing the automatic RPI calculator hasn't kicked in yet. We were ranked #5 and I predict we'll slide down to #7 or #8.

However, by some OSU-like miracle, maybe we'll be 8-RPI and 8-ranking.

Mike White did everything everything right today except for one move.

He started Mac - check
He pulled Mac before she got tired and got shelled - check
He put in Laly instead of check - check (although Simpson would have been fine also. I can't believe I just typed that)
He penciled in Quiroga at first - ERROR.

Quiroga was a negative 2 today. Plus 1 for a great hit. Minus 1 for brainfart decsion to go for second base. And then Minus 2 for the error at first base.

This is only the second time I've ever traveled to Waco to watch the Horns play. The first time was when Volleyball was ranked #1 and lost in Waco in 5 sets. Today was the second time. Never again.

What a terrible series we played. Is CC hurt or something because this lineup all weekend was not very good to begin with. I don’t know why things were changed so much after coming off a sweep of Ok state. I hope we come better next week because the season won’t last much longer if we play like that.
I hope we don't slide into the OSU-like funk they have been in since playing us!

Recent Threads

Back